Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

We’d be worse off without him.

Unless we finished with Pick 2/3, a FA compo pick AND (stressed in the strongest possible terms) an actual Priority Pick that is of use to our club (First Rounder).

Anything else is a net negative.
Couldn't agree more - but there's still a limit. If someone offered 800,000 for 6 years, I'm out. If we ended up in that situation, split pick 3 and see who else we can pair with Logue.

And on the PP, I just can't see it. Comparisons with Gold Coast are superfluous, as the Suns are critical to the broadcast deal as the second Queensland team - we just don't figure in that kind of calculation

We ain’t getting pick 3 if he leaves…
If we only win 4 or so games this year, and he leaves for a $650k-ish contract elsewhere, I reckon we could.

No one prominent made a fuss when the media were talking about how we deserved a PP around a month ago.

It'll be an under-the-table PP-compo offer.

I get that, but it still sucks. Show some integrity AFL, compo formula and PP formula should be separate from each other.
Totally, but I'm not too sure there even is a PP formula anymore.

Reckon its just a decision made on political and business imperatives.

Have to say I'm a little surprised at how many posters would prefer he leave and are hoping that's the outcome.

I consider him one of our 5 most important players and so without a doubt, my preference is that he stays. We spent pick 21 on him and have put 7 years into his development - I think many forget how good he was for the last couple of seasons but then we had a good reminder on the weekend. Statistically he was one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the competition last year, and has developed a handy intercept game.

If he does go, we're obviously all hoping for that band 1 compo.

Last edited:
Yeah let’s just keep offloading players for draft picks because just like in fantasy football that’s how you build a successful team. Just like how much better we were when Tarrant, Higgins and Brown left.

How many of the above landed a top 3 pick again?

I think the fact that Brown is currently playing VFL, Tarrant has been pretty much injured for the entirety of his time at Richmond and Higgins fell straight off a cliff at Geelong more than vindicates Rawlings not paying those 3 big dollars to stick around because they were senior players.

100% the right call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact that Brown is currently playing VFL, Tarrant has been pretty much injured for the entirety of his time at Richmond and Higgins fell straight off a cliff at Geelong more than vindicates Rawlings not paying those 3 big dollars to stick around because they were senior players.

100% the right call.
Not saying it was the wrong call. What I’m saying is that you don’t just trade away good players lightly when you’re s**t. We are s**t cos we do not have enough good players. Ergo, don’t give away good ones.

Not saying it was the wrong call. What I’m saying is that you don’t just trade away good players lightly when you’re s**t. We are s**t cos we do not have enough good players. Ergo, don’t give away good ones.

I think it's also evidence you don't let senior players walk all over you, just because you are s**t.

Can you imagine if we had Brown on $800k a year at the moment?

Yeah let’s just keep offloading players for draft picks because just like in fantasy football that’s how you build a successful team. Just like how much better we were when Tarrant, Higgins and Brown left.
There are other variables at play though so your comment doesn't tell the full story.

• pick 3 is a big deal
  • many believe he has one foot out the door and that's why he's been up and down form/intent wise
  • his injury/concussion record is a concern

Ultimately posters want players that want to be at the club. A lot of unknowns (unless you're duckyeah and TAO...then you have it all figured out :cool: )

100% the right call.

You don't think those 3 guys might've allowed us a better structure for the last 2-3 years, helped develop the kids better/faster as well helped provide some reinforcing wins along the way?

You don't think those 3 guys might've allowed us a better structure for the last 2-3 years, helped develop the kids better/faster as well helped provide some reinforcing wins along the way?

Off field possibly. On field none have offered anything apart from Brown in year 1.

Off field possibly. On field none have offered anything apart from Brown in year 1.

I think Tarrant played some good footy for Richmond last year, but has obviously been injured this year.

It is really impossible to assess whether or not we would have been better with those boys staying, for the very simple reason, that everything in their lives and in particular their injury/form records would be different if they had stayed.

Furthermore, if we are to be totally fair in the assessment, we also need to analyse how advantageous what we received as a result of them leaving, has had on our club. For instance, if I am not mistaken, Coleman-Jones was somehow or other part of the Tarrant move, and my view is that he is developing slowly but nicely and I think we are going to increasingly enjoy what he does for us.

Do we get Logue with Brown, Higgins and Tarrant's salaries still on the books?

Do we still get Sheezel and Wardlaw or do we limp to 16/17th with the above in the side?

Impossible hypotheticals, you can only judge them on how they have gone at their new clubs, all have been miles off their peak for us.

True. If we had kept them, we may have been middle of the road for a few more years....

In fact, we might have snuck in to 9th on the ladder again.

Yah!!!

Have to say I'm a little surprised at how many posters would prefer he leave and are hoping that's the outcome.

I consider him one of our 5 most important players and so without a doubt, my preference is that he stays. We spent pick 21 on him and have put 7 years into his development - I think many forget how good he was for the last couple of seasons but then we had a good reminder on the weekend. Statistically he was one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the competition last year, and has developed a handy intercept game.

If he does go, we're obviously all hoping for that band 1 compo.
By what metric? Going off contested defensive loss percentage he was ranked 24th among defenders that had at least 20 contests.

Interesting stat I came across that I thought I'd share and let you draw your own conclusions:

Percentage of 1 on 1 contests Ben has lost by year
2020 - 25.5%
2021 - 24.1%
2022 - 21.4%
2023 so far - 41.1%

He lost 0% of his 1 on 1's on the weekend, so a week ago the number for this year would have been inching towards 50%

By way of comparison, I thought I'd pick 5 of the highest rated numbers in the competition
Aliir Aliir:
2020 - 47.6%
2021 - 16.8%
2022 - 24.0%
2023 - 28.9%

Darcy Moore
2020 - 16.4%
2021 - 22.5%
2022 - 13.3%
2023 - 12.9%

Harris Andrews
2020 - 17.5%
2021 - 20.0%
2022 - 21.6%
2023 - 24.4%

Jacob Weitering
2020 - 15.1%
2021 - 20.8%
2022 - 30.4%
2023 - 11.4%

Steven May:
2020 - 20.0%
2021 - 23.2%
2022 - 10.6%
2023 - 21.4%

By what metric? Going off contested defensive loss percentage he was ranked 24th among defenders that had at least 20 contests.

Yep my bad - for some reason, I felt like I'd seen the stats tell a different story. I still think his combination of a strong intercept game along with strong 1 on 1 numbers from last year suggest he's a very good key defender who has improved year-by-year for a few years now(until this year!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back