Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

If other clubs are offering him $800k he is gone.

It would negligent for North to offer him that level of money.

It’s not the type of money you pay to a player that doesn’t show up consistently.

Corr and Logue aren't exactly on minimum wage either.

As I said, if we let him go it should be for band one, we have like almost no senior players, we have to pay our cap to someone, burn $200k extra on him and say okay, you are a $650k player but we will give you $850k on a short-term deal, if you are seriously going to leave via free agency, then go on a 2 year $2m Daniher deal or whatever the * triggered band one and renegotiate it down to whatever you want with a longer deal afterwards.

If he maintained his best ever form on a weekly basis is he worth 800k? I think a compelling argument could be made that yeah he is. But which Ben Mckay would we be signing? The one at his best? The one at his worst? After his start to this year I just don't have the confidence to say we should offer big dollars and years.

1st round compo pick for him leaving is damned tasty too. List management team might have a few restless nights pondering this one. Or, they might not.

* me though, at the end of last year the idea of him and Logue being the 1-2 combo in defence for 5+ years was ******* appetizing. What a frustrating season!
Really good point. The fact as well is that we save (assuming we'd match the offer) - a decent amount of cap space that we can bank. The idea then is to use that growing warchest in the free agency market in a few years time plus the bonus of pick 3.

No brainer for me. Let him go if band one compo is on offer - get a great player (maybe KP defender replacement in Curtain) and then in 2 or so years use to c.700k you save from a cap perspective to get a good free agent. At the end of the day there'll always be players that you can tempt in the free agency market and the promise of a good role.

Buckets, just take one look at Logue. Then think am I worth that much?
Logue wouldn’t be on $800k and he is way ahead of McKay as a defender.

If a team is stupid enough to pay $800k wish him well and take the Compo pick.

A player like Lewis Young at Carlton is a better defender and would be lucky to be on $400k.

The reported $650k we have offered is overs.

This bloke is dumb as a post and only plays a good game every blue moon.

Logue wouldn’t be on $800k and he is way ahead of McKay as a defender.

If a team is stupid enough to pay $800k wish him well and take the Compo pick.

A player like Lewis Young at Carlton is a better defender and would be lucky to be on $400k.

The reported $650k we have offered is overs.

This bloke is dumb as a post and only plays a good game every blue moon.
I would say logue would be on 7-750.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poort want him I read the article online. The bit that caught my attention was when it mentioned Harry Magoo has signed until 2030.

That made me shiver. Walk him to the station in rain, kiss him as we put him on the train.

* off Magoo we don’t need you
Love the Pogues reference man. Brilliant.

Love the Pogues reference man. Brilliant.

Yes I was wondering if anyone would pick it up.

So well played Ferbs and Im very well behaved these days King Corey. Settling into my new job and living a similar life now to you lot.
Dead boring lol.
Nah life is good and it is to be celebrated, each and every day that you manage to get out of bed and get cracking.

I won’t sleep for two weeks. Nervous as *. What if he stays ?
I know I’m being negative. But seriously what if he stays?

Bloody hell!

Anyone who thinks Magoo is any good is nuts

But, why are the team who are second on the ladder so interested in him, then? Whereas, us cellar dwellers say “meh”. Does. not. compute.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But, why are the team who are second on the ladder so interested in him, then? Whereas, us cellar dwellers say “meh”. Does. not. compute.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AFL club arrogance, get him in our system and he'll star is what they'd be thinking.
He may well.

Having picks 2 & 3 and another in the teens oh boy. Game set and match, just then get games into our top 25.

1. Archer
2. Bergman
3. CCJ
4. Comben
5. Corr
6. Curtis
7. LDU
8. Dawson
9. Ford
10.Goater
11.George
12. Harvey