Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I can see clubs being interested in him around end of contract time. Maybe the club is planning to keep him in VFL until next season if Scooter retires.

Let them be interested. I'll be amazed if Ben isn't well and truly in the side by then.

No one will be plucking him away for a steal and he loves the club.

Last edited:

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I can see clubs being interested in him around end of contract time. Maybe the club is planning to keep him in VFL until next season if Scooter retires.
Nah dont worry mate. The club would be very clear with him to where he sits and to continue to develop so it won't be an issue.....and he would know with Thompson, Tarrant playing well and fit that he is next in line. Thompson may or may not play next year. And on top of that if either of the two get injured he will be coming in. And then there is Daw who is a little injury prone.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Nah dont worry mate. The club would be very clear with him to where he sits and to continue to develop so it won't be an issue.....and he would know with Thompson, Tarrant playing well and fit that he is next in line. Thompson may or may not play next year. And on top of that if either of the two get injured he will be coming in. And then there is Daw who is a little injury prone.

We both know how this should play out if the club does the responsible thing.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
We both know how this should play out if the club does the responsible thing.
Ha.

Well I'd play Ben before Majak myself as over the long term its the best thing as the way Ben is playing he would fit in well and would be good for him to learn things from Thompson on field while he's still playing. Daw IMO is still doing well, I personally didn't think he would be doing well at all in defence. I think Daw is still best as a ruckman and I still think Goldy is our current best option and I do like what Daw offers when Goldy is resting as he offers a different dynamic in the ruck when Goldy is resting. Normally other teams when their ruckman rests they get into a bit of trouble, with Daw there it doesn't happen with us. So Daw does give advantage that Ben wouldn't be able to provide at the moment. But long term, for sure I'd play Ben every day of the week.

Ha.

Well I'd play Ben before Majak myself as over the long term its the best thing as the way Ben is playing he would fit in well and would be good for him to learn things from Thompson on field while he's still playing. Daw IMO is still doing well, I personally didn't think he would be doing well at all in defence. I think Daw is still best as a ruckman and I still think Goldy is our current best option and I do like what Daw offers when Goldy is resting as he offers a different dynamic in the ruck when Goldy is resting. Normally other teams when their ruckman rests they get into a bit of trouble, with Daw there it doesn't happen with us. So Daw does give advantage that Ben wouldn't be able to provide at the moment. But long term, for sure I'd play Ben every day of the week.
I agree, but it is nice to see Majak playing solid footy for a while now.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's

Scooter is heading towards another 12 month deal. North are in no rush with Benny, very highly rated internally.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like that the club is developing the big guys (McKay, Durdin, Larkey, Preuss) in the VFL. As long as we don't need them, let them build up their endurance, power, and game plan knowledge in the 2s.

Look at the early big men draft picks that have been played too early, and then lost confidence - Boyd, Moore, Patten, Schache, Griffiths, off my head.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
He’s got a more solid body and by the highlights he knows how to use it.
Oh I meant in the way we would use him rather than more his ruck ability. Both wouldn't be much better than the other IMO since they both have their advantages over the other.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Is Ben an option as backup ruck /backman

I will say this, you will never see Waite in the ruck again, a ridiculous decision and is great we learnt from it. Near killed him.

B McKay could chop out ,but we're really liking our current set up. " Giving us a huge advantage".

I just feel personally we need Benny up fwd, Taz is 29 but has only played 113 games, Rance is a similar age and has 184 against his name. I reckon Taz will play for years to come and most importantly still produce quality footy.

Waite is 35.

I still hold out hopes for the likes of Durds and Nielson to come good.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I will say this, you will never see Waite in the ruck again, a ridiculous decision and is great we learnt from it. Near killed him.

B McKay could chop out ,but we're really liking our current set up. " Giving us a huge advantage".

I just feel personally we need Benny up fwd, Taz is 29 but has only played 113 games, Rance is a similar age and has 184 against his name. I reckon Taz will play for years to come and most importantly still produce quality footy.

Waite is 35.

How good would be to have taz, bmac , daw and durds in the team and they could interchange fwd and back.
Also three of them could give a chop out in the Ruck

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Waite is 35.

What’s the long term plan with him?

The stint in defence has seemingly given him a fair shot of confidence. He’s clunking everything that comes near him.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
What’s the long term plan with him?

The stint in defence has seemingly given him a fair shot of confidence. He’s clunking everything that comes near him.

Dunno I'm majakcentric :D Brad is expected to become a freakin gun in I assume whatever position he is put in. Ala R. Glendinning. We see him as versatile.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hows the frame on this kid?

I've heard from a good source that he has been partnering up and doing all his gym training with Tazz. Perfect person to help McKay build up the mass!

Much like Brown, when he extends his arms and takes the footy at the highest point he is really really hard to stop.

Love how he protects the fall of the ball in a lot of those clips, that sort of body positioning is something that many players cannot be taught.

Excited by what he can offer.

Back