Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Looks imposing

Like the photo of Michael Hurley from the preseason where they all got on the gear imposing

Side note does anyone remember the thread where Bomber fans posted about how sick and grouse and large their players looked with the aforementioned Hurley photo front and centre

Then it later came out they'd been banging up the whole time and it was actually PED enhanced

The internet is so good

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will Brad select him to play AFL this year? I honestly can’t see him making the move and I reckon another year in the VFL and he will be looking elsewhere

And where does he play or who does he replace?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Will Brad select him to play AFL this year? I honestly can’t see him making the move and I reckon another year in the VFL and he will be looking elsewhere

If he's good enough he'll play and he'll take his chance when it comes.

Over the 10 years that Scott has been coach generally players who don't get a game are no good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
051118_G1.jpg

Three letters.

CHF.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would play him at CHF also

Between Tarrant, Daw and EVW we can handle the opposition forwards
Does he have the tank for the modern CHF? Doesn't look slim enough, must be edging 100 kegs now. That's a lot to be lugging around. I'd prefer to position him deep and have him and brown twin prong at FF. Waite had just enough run in him to do the yards up the field. That's OK though.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he's good enough he'll play and he'll take his chance when it comes.

Over the 10 years that Scott has been coach generally players who don't get a game are no good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The great thing about AFL coaching is that you can seriously undermine a young player's development and even bury his career by refusing to give him a game in an underperforming team because you don't believe in him and you can never be proven wrong.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Play him in backline in place of daw.

The question you have to ask between him and daw is what they’ll bring to each part of the ground.
Think there wouldn’t be much of a difference in ability in the backline but think daw would be much better than McKay up forward.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The great thing about AFL coaching is that you can seriously undermine a young player's development and even bury his career by refusing to give him a game in an underperforming team because you don't believe in him and you can never be proven wrong.

There’s generally reasons why a coach doesn’t believe in a player.

McKay is a pack busting, contested mark beast.

He's everything we need, now and in 5 years too.

Just make it happen.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah you can. Personally I think that's why BS and the match committee are 'slow' to drop players, unlike the gung-ho brigade on big footy who would take them out and shoot them for being 's**t.'

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Of all the bizarre thing on this board, i think the strangest is this obsession with playing forwards back and backs forward. Like Daw, he’s showed his best in defence and no demonstrable ability as a forward, yet that seems to be the cue for many posters to suggest the opposite.

Scotty T at full forward in 2019, anyone?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of all the bizarre thing on this board, i think the strangest is this obsession with playing forwards back and backs forward. Like Daw, he’s showed his best in defence and no demonstrable ability as a forward, yet that seems to be the cue for many posters to suggest the opposite.

Hmmm, Scotty’s kicking has improved. :think:

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

In about 6 quarters over 2 games he kicked 8 goals - he has forward ability.
If brown is getting mauled early in the season - daw should go forward

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Play him in backline in place of daw.

The question you have to ask between him and daw is what they’ll bring to each part of the ground.
Think there wouldn’t be much of a difference in ability in the backline but think daw would be much better than McKay up forward.

I don’t mind the idea of playing both.

One up forward, one down back.

Gives a bit of flexibility because they can both play either end. The coaches can swap them during a game without losing structure

Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In about 6 quarters over 2 games he kicked 8 goals - he has forward ability.
If brown is getting mauled early in the season - daw should go forward
Yep...played very well forward with limited opportunities to do so.
We should not be writing off his forward abilities.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Gives a bit of flexibility because they can both play either end. The coaches can swap them during a game without losing structure

They could switch about without any real imbalance in structure.

Majak has a touch more X factor & that's why I would throw him forward.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

They could switch about without any real imbalance in structure.

Majak has a touch more X factor & that's why I would throw him forward.

It’s what other teams have over us - flexibility to move their players around.
Our strength is our KPPs and we should use this to mix it up if we can.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Here is the problem. He's not even been the best forward in his VFL team, and not better than those ahead of him in the seniors. As a defender, is he better than a returning EVW or is he even better as a defender than durds?

We have problems at small forward, not huge ass forward.

That said, if he had a tank then there are lots of potential spots he could play... At the end of the day you are not getting a gig in this 2019 team for just doing OK in the VFL. You have to make a huge statement in the VFL.

If he's thinking of leaving, I'd suggest that he needs to have someone that wants him first. There are a lot of VFL players without AFL experience, and only a tiny amount get picked up by non-affiliate teams. There might be some other teams with less KP player depth. Who knows.

Looks imposing

Like the photo of Michael Hurley from the preseason where they all got on the gear imposing

Side note does anyone remember the thread where Bomber fans posted about how sick and grouse and large their players looked with the aforementioned Hurley photo front and centre

Then it later came out they'd been banging up the whole time and it was actually PED enhanced

The internet is so good

"Weaponised"

Back