Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because he is one of the best KPD in the comp, he struggled as a forward and McKay has played one game.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

2012/13 Tarrant spent considerable time fwd and had quite the impact. Of course this was before he'd played 40 career games. Am not doubting his ability down back one bit, if McKay hits his groove and Maj returns, am not against someone moving fwd to assist Brown. I personally can't see Wood offering much in the way of support for Benny Brown.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2012/13 Tarrant spent considerable time fwd and had quite the impact. Of course this was before he'd played 40 career games. Am not doubting his ability down back one bit, if McKay hits his groove and Maj returns, am not against someone moving fwd to assist Brown. I personally can't see Wood offering much in the way of support for Benny Brown.
The way he attacks the ball these days Wood could be kept by a flanker.

gustev

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
north of melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Athletics
Does anyone know if Ben was off injured for the end of the last quarter? I couldn't see him out there, and am sure he wasn't up the other end. His TOG was still 85%, so not sure what was going on......

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone know if Ben was off injured for the end of the last quarter? I couldn't see him out there, and am sure he wasn't up the other end. His TOG was still 85%, so not sure what was going on......

Took the kids off, Scott spent a long time off in the last as well.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Need to persist. I think he's showing some good signs and will get better with every game played.

Would like to see him get a bit more mongrel though.. but that goes for most of the squad on game day.
I actually think he’s showing plenty for a 2.5 game AFL player. Will get touched up on occasion ala the 3rd quarter on Sunday until he has 50 odd games under his belt, but he looks more comfortable at the level with each outing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben looked much more assured on Sunday, particularly in the first half. I particularly like the way he has persisted with his precision kicking into the corridor and is getting much more proficient at it. His persistence shows signs of great character. We could have a good one here. I, also, am looking forward to the return of the forgotten man, Sam Durdin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If anyone is critical because McInerney got a couple of kicks dropped on his head, then those folks just can't football.

There isn't a defender in the comp who could have stopped those marks.

If anyone is critical because McInerney got a couple of kicks dropped on his head, then those folks just can't football.

There isn't a defender in the comp who could have stopped those marks.

I'm sorry but after less than 3 full games of senior footy that performance wasn't good enough.:rolleyes:

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
My only grievance with McKay is a wish that we worked some senior games into him last year to make his progression more gradual, like even the strongest clubs seem to be able to do with their young players.

No problem with his output to date. Some encouraging signs and being a sub 5 game developing KPD in a team that's allowed carte blanche delivery to opposition forwards is probably the toughest role in our current side. He didn't even have the benefit of an experienced 3rd tall in round 1 or any aerial support (eg Goldstein or Campbell dropping back) in round 2 to provide any cover.

Oscar would've beaten Mick Martyn or Glenn Archer with the friction-less delivery he was receiving.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Some perspective for the inexperienced.

This was NOT a mark:

This was taken against Tarrant and was basically unstoppable once Robinson had blocked Tarrant:

This was just flat out unstoppable. The bloke is 204cm & 107kgs after all (12 kgs heavier than McKay):

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Some perspective for the inexperienced.

This was NOT a mark:

This was taken against Tarrant and was basically unstoppable once Robinson had blocked Tarrant:

This was just flat out unstoppable. The bloke is 204cm & 107kgs after all (12 kgs heavier than McKay):

Good stuff Tef.

Yep #1 was obvious at the time. But I was happy for the commentary team who collectively ejaculated over each other at that point that it was paid.

#2 was a bit dodgy but if I'm honest I'm mainly angry that none of our cretins bother to do this properly for our spearhead.

#3 exactly as you say. Key forwards occasionally, you know, take marks against your defenders.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Good stuff Tef.

TY mate.

Yep #1 was obvious at the time. But I was happy for the commentary team who collectively ejaculated over each other at that point that it was paid.

Go to the youtube clip, slow it down and watch. There's no way he controlled that ball, and I would question the time also.

#2 was a bit dodgy but if I'm honest I'm mainly angry that none of our cretins bother to do this properly for our spearhead.

Clearly a Brisbane set play, and our defenders were not on to it, and neither was Polec (who should have been on to Robinson's ploy, rolled out and taken front position on McInerney when he saw which way he was going, and impeded his run at the mark). McKay actually made a very good attempt to provide late cover, but arrived a fraction too late.

#3 exactly as you say. Key forwards occasionally, you know, take marks against your defenders.

Yep.

If folks are critical of McKay based upon those examples, then they may as well take up watching darts.

Last edited:
Why are there any criticisms of this kid?

There's some truly clueless people out there.
Pretty sure everyone has been positive about his performance to date, particularly over the weekend.
Imperative that he gets the experience whilst some older heads are around.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pretty sure everyone has been positive about his performance to date, particularly over the weekend.
Imperative that he gets the experience whilst some older heads are around.

There's an element of "pre-empt" in my clip related post, because you just know that there's a mini skip full of completely irrational bile waiting just around the corner.

Last edited:

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep glad he's getting games and crossing nuts it continues.

#2 maybe could have jumped into the fwd instead of drifting across
#3 maybe could have gone for sneaky arm chop but really this situation is why its meant to be a team defense

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yep glad he's getting games and crossing nuts it continues.

#2 maybe could have jumped into the fwd instead of drifting across

He has to take care of his immediate opponent first and then he has two seconds to work out: a) the ball drop, b) the fact that McInerney has got off Tazz for an unimpeded run at the mark and, c) actually be able to get across to a bloke 4 cms taller than him who is jumping and taking an overhead mark at full stretch.

Now, if the kid is expected to triangulate all that consistently then he should give up AFL and go down to the quantum physics lab at Melbourne University.

#3 maybe could have gone for sneaky arm chop but really this situation is why its meant to be a team defense

We just don't have that floating spare defender McGovern type player at the moment.

Majak would have been handy. He has the leap on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back