Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Once again, not going to even think about a sub-game 5 KPD in terms of our overall performance let one stuck in our disorganised lineup.

And yet again it's hard not to be a broken record. What were our 2017 and 2018 seasons about? We could've had 15-20 extra games into him by now rather than some leaving him in the VFL the whole time while the team sailed off in some meaningless direction that was neither rebuild or all out for finals.
Ain't that the truth

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From the look of his skills he's definitely a defender. Don't think he'd make it up the other end. Will be a good KPD though.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sat almost half the game on the bench with Roughead out, would of thought it was probably the perfect time to bring Ahern in.

Did ok against McEvoy when needed.

jclei

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2010
Forward 50
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hes putting in the effort and will get better as the season goes on.

Way too early to even judge him yet. We NEED him to play games because unless nobody has noticed - Taz is 30 now, Thompson is maybe in his last season and Daw is recovering from an horrific injury. I dont know what Durdin is but its not looking great.

We have to get 20 games into Ben this year

Once again, not going to even think about a sub-game 5 KPD in terms of our overall performance let one stuck in our disorganised lineup.

And yet again it's hard not to be a broken record. What were our 2017 and 2018 seasons about? We could've had 15-20 extra games into him by now rather than some leaving him in the VFL the whole time while the team sailed off in some meaningless direction that was neither rebuild or all out for finals.

#neverbeaten

There are concerns with Ben. So saying “0 worries” is not right.
Sure, he needs time to develop and improve, but gee, I have seen several areas I am concerned about. We gave up a pretty high draft pick for this guy. Let’s not forget that either.

Didn't we give up pick 15, Ryan Clarke and Jed Anderson for him and someone's pet poodle?

Psychic Roo

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2007
California
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
San Diego Chargers
Hes putting in the effort and will get better as the season goes on.

Way too early to even judge him yet. We NEED him to play games because unless nobody has noticed - Taz is 30 now, Thompson is maybe in his last season and Daw is recovering from an horrific injury. I dont know what Durdin is but its not looking great.

We have to get 20 games into Ben this year
Thompson is definitely in his last season

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Little worried about how he uses his body, considering the size of him, but not going to give it a second thought at this stage. He's a young monster of a man adjusting to everything from new teammates, to a new gameplan, to a new weight and body etc etc.

And while there is a bloody good argument that we should have dropped him, or another tall, last game, I'm glad he's still in the team and I hope it stays that way. As long as he's learning, not mentally/emotionally struggling too much, and physically healthy then he should be in the team every week.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
As soon as Roughy was out, he should've been pulled.

Had 60% TOG - waste of a spot in the match day squad.

Campbell should have been pulled out and B-Mac played Ruck/Forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We've got issues with this guy.

He is the biggest bloke on the field and plays like a fairy - crash into packs and start getting your fist on the ball, Benny!
I wouldn’t put him in the bust category, I think we will see the best of this guy when Brad is gone.

I think his biggest issue is that he isn’t comfortable in his role, which causes him to be tentative.

Having some one like Michael Firrito back at the club to take Ben under his wing would do wonders for him. I get the impression Ben isn’t the most confident kid and needs a mentor to guide him. Let’s be honest our current leadership group doesn’t fill you with that feeling that they would be great mentors.

If you put this guy in a team next to Luke Hodge, I think you would see a totally different footballer.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can you even do that?

Surely final teams would need to be submitted at the same time? So you don't know what the other team does.
You are correct.

The issue I have is that the team never looked balanced.

Brown needs a mobile forward in that forward line to complement him.

Now Campbell is having a go, but due to his lack of mobility he doesn’t draw defenders away from Brown, they get in each other’s way.

Teams with a successful forward structure all have one thing in common. Movement.

Movement shifts defenders and opens up space. It’s time for Larkey or Watson. The forward line needs a new look, because currently it’s a shambles.

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
A couple of things to worry about, skills below par without any pressure and doesn’t seem like a natural defender, too concerned about where his man is and doesn’t even watch where the footy is going to go. Hopefully with a lot more senior games those things will improve

According to the presser fine to play this week
Could be McDonald replacement to give us back the 3 tall defender structure after making way for a small the week before
Lol, thats what he said about Marley Williams a couple of weeks ago :), well kinda

Smoocher

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies
Under Brads coaching I fear that this monster of a man will never reach his potential.

He is way to tall to play as a a back man.

How simple is it to play him forward and pinch hit in the ruck. He has good hands and would cause opposition teams headaches trying to cover him and Brown.

Anyway, hopefully Brad is gone at years end and we can finally develop our kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Far from bust. Hopefully gets a run forward

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
he is not a very good set shot, much like loogie wasn't, so we end up with another JZ, Petrie or levi casbolt, john butcher clone who can clunk a mark but cannot convert. having said that how can mason cox
learn to kick a set shot in 2 years and these guys still cant after many more years???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back