Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

The danger is Ben requesting a trade more than anything I think.
He basically said it last year he wants to play and stay in the 1’s in 2019 and had the big preseason to back it up.

The only way he stays with us if he plays the second half of the year, plays well and feels like he belongs, otherwise good chance he’s gone.

Edit: Maj returning will throw another spanner in the works too.

The danger is Ben requesting a trade more than anything I think.

The same danger as any uncontracted player.

He basically said it last year he wants to play and stay in the 1’s in 2019 and had the big preseason to back it up.

The only way he stays with us if he plays the second half of the year, plays well and feels like he belongs, otherwise good chance he’s gone.

You don't think he'll factor pneumonia getting in the way?

Ben loves being at North.

Haha 1st rounder pal.

And worth more than a fourth rounder. But you don't understand how trades and player values work so it's understandable you're lost.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is brilliant, I’ve been a regular here since 2001 and you’re calling me a troll. Cute.

Im not going to even waste my time arguing with your other rubbish, your cooking yourself beautifully.
I'd certainly wouldn't swap him for Weitering (1), Schache (2) and Weideman (9).

We have also put 4 years of development in to him.

aaron black - pick 25 - 50 games in 5 years and 64 goals - pick 92

james stewart - pick 27 - 18 games in 4 years and 18 goals - pick 77

Ben Mckay - Pick 21 - 4 games in 4 years...and umm 21 disposals and 10 marks - a pick better than a fourth rounder 🥴🥴🥴

hE WAs a fIRsT roUNdER ThOuGH

it's hilarious how delusional some posters here overvalue players from the team they support.

the development we've put into him and considering the players nearing retirement it's obvious the best value for north would be to keep him.

The same danger as any uncontracted player.

You don't think he'll factor pneumonia getting in the way?

Ben loves being at North.
Yeah maybe, did he start the season with pneumonia?

He might see himself as having more luck with a fresh start as a lot of players do and the incentive of playing with his brother could be the catch.

I rate the kid and would hate to see him go, but if wants to then we maximise the trade and wish him well.
One things for sure it wont be for a 4th rounder *shakes head*

aaron black - pick 25 - 50 games in 5 years and 64 goals - pick 92

james stewart - pick 27 - 18 games in 4 years and 18 goals - pick 77

Ben Mckay - Pick 21 - 4 games in 4 years...and umm 21 disposals and 10 marks - a pick better than a fourth rounder 🥴🥴🥴

hE WAs a fIRsT roUNdER ThOuGH

it's hilarious how delusional some posters here overvalue players from the team they support.

the development we've put into him and considering the players nearing retirement it's obvious the best value for north would be to keep him.
Wat?..

why respond, if you haven't got anything logical to say other than a screenshot that he was a first rounder then admit defeat and stop replying.
ok champ..

“McKay isn’t a 1st rounder he’s a late 2nd” WRONG Sherm - 1 Mcarchery - 0

“You called JZ a backman a few posts ago” WRONG Sherm - 2 Mcarchery - 0

*Accuses me of being a troll (hilarious) WRONG Sherm - 3 Mcarchery - 0

“McKay’s trade value not even worth a 4th” WRONG Bigfooty - 1 Mcarchery - 0

Shoo..

ok champ..

“McKay isn’t a 1st rounder he’s a late 2nd” WRONG Sherm - 1 Mcarchery - 0

“You called JZ a backman a few posts ago” WRONG Sherm - 2 Mcarchery - 0

*Accuses me of being a troll (hilarious) WRONG Sherm - 3 Mcarchery - 0

“McKay’s trade value not even worth a 4th” WRONG Bigfooty - 1 Mcarchery - 0

Shoo..

i've provided at least 2 examples of other players that are of similar size, draft pick and stage of their career that have been traded recently.

you've provided 4...i don't know what you'd call them, but they aren't points or arguments proving why he's worth more than a 4th rounder..... and a gif. obvious troll is obvious.

KPP's dont grow on trees and if im not mistaken take a while to truly get goin, let alone if they ever do.

Trade him out now and we return to developing a KPP for the inevitable eventual loss of Taz.

Feels like a step back. Better going in on the guy we have. Doesnt seem like the type to be only a good vfl player.

KPD though mate.

Would be the best listed key defender not playing in the AFL.

Got knocked out in the first match, couldn't break in when Daw finally pulled his finger out, then had 2 games under a tactically absurd game plan this yea,r before succumbing to pneumonia.

You're not a bad judge usually, but you're flat out wrong in this instance.

For the record, another 1st round KPD, Robbie Tarrant, had played 7 games at the same age.

Were you writing him off for a 4th round pick in 2011?

Ben is the archetypal "big man taking time" who would have been drafted a year later if he was a week younger.

We were five years into Robbie Tarrant wondering what he was going to be, we can handle taking our time with his development.

Ben is the archetypal "big man taking time" who would have been drafted a year later if he was a week younger.

We were five years into Robbie Tarrant wondering what he was going to be, we can handle taking our time with his development.

He's the sort of kid that separates the seasoned judges from the rest.

This is brilliant, I’ve been a regular here since 2001 and you’re calling me a troll. Cute.

im-playing-the-long-game-garyvee-play-the-long-game-13771704.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KPD though mate.

Would be the best listed key defender not playing in the AFL.

Got knocked out in the first match, couldn't break in when Daw finally pulled his finger out, then had 2 games under a tactically absurd game plan this yea,r before succumbing to pneumonia.

You're not a bad judge usually, but you're flat out wrong in this instance.

For the record, another 1st round KPD, Robbie Tarrant, had played 7 games at the same age.

Were you writing him off for a 4th round pick in 2011?

Look, I rate him.

I'm not disputing his ability.

I'm just being realistic with what we'd actually receive if we put him on the trade table.

Of course I rate him higher than a 4th, just like taz, but we're not getting much better than that, especially if he requests a trade.

I just don't see the argument in trading him, the value imho lies in keeping him.

On Pixel using BigFooty.com mobile app

His role is to be the fullback, but tarrant is still in career best form, thompson might stay for another year, if daw comes back to full fitness then him and durdin will be sitting out again. We do need to get Durdin, Mackay and EVW to big our big 3 when Thompson and Tarrant eventually falls off.

This is Tarrants 5th year of consistent quality football.
He played 39 in his first 7 years of football.
2 other first round picks in previous years in Jy and Luke each played 35 games in their first two seasons.
Tarrant essentially in his 12th year of footy is playing his 7th season.
He’s amassed 100 in the last five years alone.

I’m willing to give McKay at minimum 2020 and 2021 to get to 30 games and then go from there.

An old poster round here at seasons start said McKay wouldn't be getting many games in 2019 as we had deemed him ( correctly) not ready. Not the usual style of a youngster playing a few games and doing well then being omitted not ready, but legit not ready. I feel we have seen that from the few games Benny played in 19.

A non issue has time on his side, with the emergence of Larkey, Zurhaar up forward , imminent return of Daw, EVW. Do we play Tarrant, Daw and McKay down back in the same side?

I think not.

2 other first round picks in previous years in Jy and Luke each played 35 games in their first two seasons.

I’m willing to give McKay at minimum 2020 and 2021 to get to 30 games and then go from there.

...........and this is what separates you from the pack.

The ability to think beyond the short term supercoach mindset.:thumbsu:

The lad is still only 21, is 6'6", very good above his head, and was best on ground in the VFL last round. Agree with you 100%. Not as though we are talking about a dime a dozen 6'0" halfback flanker.

Edit: Maj returning will throw another spanner in the works too.
Just quietly, I don't expect a queue in front of his manager's office in the offseason. Yes he has talent, and yes I'd like him to stay, but to suggest we are holding him back is ludicrous. He should continue to develop nicely, and has time on his side. Won't be going anywhere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back