Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ben is still learning how to play key back and lacking self belief. My observations of his game is that he looks lost and down in confidence. He second guesses himself not quite sure whether to go or stay, spoil or mark, guard or tackle.

He's got the tools to be a dominate key back, he needs to believe it first and i think that will only happen if he has an impact at senior level in a game. To me he seems like a person who has to see that he can do it before believing they are capable.

Interesting year for Ben coming up

I was time keeper for 2 years
I wonder whatever happened to
Scott Christie
Good times, half those lads ended up premiership players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

CHRISTIE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES
NORTH UNDER-19 FLAG REUNION INCLUDES PAGAN, CAREY AND STRATHMERTON PRODUCT

Shepparton News21 Sep 2013DAMEN FRANCIS damen.francis@sheppnews.com.au

Turning back the clock: Shepparton's Scott Christie re-lived the glory days at a 25-year reunion for North Melbourne’s VFL Under-19 premiership yesterday.
North Melbourne’s under-19 VFL class of 1988 will go down as one of its greatest.
Coached by would-be two-time AFL premiership coach Denis Pagan and led by future league legend Wayne Carey, the Kangaroos lost one game for the season and thrashed Essendon by 83 points in the grand final.
Eight of the Kangaroos’ starting 21 went on to play AFL, including Andrew Krakouer (not to be confused with the former Collingwood and Richmond forward of the same name) and Geelong duo Tim McGrath and Leigh Tudor.
Sharing the forward line with the man later dubbed ‘‘The King’’ was Strathmerton’s Scott Christie.
Christie was drafted to North Melbourne with pick 22 of the 1987 National Draft — the second year the draft occurred — and booted 62 goals to finish runner-up in the league goal-kicking.
Yesterday the gang was back together to celebrate the 25-year anniversary of the premiership.
Speaking ahead of the reunion, Christie said he couldn’t wait to renew a few old acquaintances.
‘‘My best mate was probably Anthony Stevens, who came a year later, and I’ve touched base with Denis in the past few years,’’ Christie said.
‘‘Apart from that, I’m looking forward to seeing everyone.’’
Christie, who lives in Shepparton, said the transition from Strathmerton to the big city was a tricky one.
‘‘It was a big move, because clubs probably weren’t as structured with regards to your lifestyle that clubs are now fairly big on,’’ he said.
‘‘It was semiprofessional back then and a bit more social.
‘‘It was a bit of a shock going from the country down to meet Denis Pagan, who was a real fire-and-brimstone coach and let you know where you stood.’’
While his AFL career did not work out, Christie’s relationship with Pagan endured — having served as his assistant coach at Northern Knights in 2009 — and he has no grudges against his more successful teammates.
For the past three years, Christie has been an assistant coach of Murray Bushrangers’ under-16 group and his experiences have been a handy teaching tool.
‘‘I had two years in the under-19s and played about 40 reserve grade games and just couldn’t quite get a senior game,’’ he said.
‘‘I could read the play pretty well and I was a pretty good mark and kick, but maybe just lacked a yard of pace.
‘‘I think about it a bit, but you only have to look at the kids that I’m coaching these days to realise there’s a lot of talented players out there that don’t even get picked up.
‘‘I sort of count myself lucky to have been involved, rather than being bitter about it.
‘‘I had a few depression issues as well and that wasn’t identified until after I stopped playing.
‘‘I can look back on it now and see a few areas where I was struggling and didn’t know where to go for the right support at the time, but now it’s a lot easier and I’ve come full circle.’’
While chasing his AFL dream, Christie also took the opportunity to study, and the property evaluations course he took back then enabled him to secure his current occupation and the life he lives today.
And you can bet the conversation at yesterday’s reunion was as much about where they are now as those glory days.

Looks in ripping shape.

With the whispers about EVW copping a long term injury this could be Ben's opportunity.

The opportunity is there let's just hope he's able to seize it.

Taz and BMac as the key backs with a mix of Maj, JMac, LMac, Ahern Jasper and Marley could be pretty handy especially with a bit of backline tweaking from Shaw.

Looks in ripping shape.

With the whispers about EVW copping a long term injury this could be Ben's opportunity.

The opportunity is there let's just hope he's able to seize it.

Taz and BMac as the key backs with a mix of Maj, JMac, LMac, Ahern Jasper and Marley could be pretty handy especially with a bit of backline tweaking from Shaw.

He looked like hulk hogan last year and Daw missed the entire year. He was most (including mine) tip to be the breakout youngster of the year for the side.

He needs to put it on the field consistently next year, no more excuses.

CHRISTIE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES
NORTH UNDER-19 FLAG REUNION INCLUDES PAGAN, CAREY AND STRATHMERTON PRODUCT

Shepparton News21 Sep 2013DAMEN FRANCIS damen.francis@sheppnews.com.au

Turning back the clock: Shepparton's Scott Christie re-lived the glory days at a 25-year reunion for North Melbourne’s VFL Under-19 premiership yesterday.
North Melbourne’s under-19 VFL class of 1988 will go down as one of its greatest.
Coached by would-be two-time AFL premiership coach Denis Pagan and led by future league legend Wayne Carey, the Kangaroos lost one game for the season and thrashed Essendon by 83 points in the grand final.
Eight of the Kangaroos’ starting 21 went on to play AFL, including Andrew Krakouer (not to be confused with the former Collingwood and Richmond forward of the same name) and Geelong duo Tim McGrath and Leigh Tudor.
Sharing the forward line with the man later dubbed ‘‘The King’’ was Strathmerton’s Scott Christie.
Christie was drafted to North Melbourne with pick 22 of the 1987 National Draft — the second year the draft occurred — and booted 62 goals to finish runner-up in the league goal-kicking.
Yesterday the gang was back together to celebrate the 25-year anniversary of the premiership.
Speaking ahead of the reunion, Christie said he couldn’t wait to renew a few old acquaintances.
‘‘My best mate was probably Anthony Stevens, who came a year later, and I’ve touched base with Denis in the past few years,’’ Christie said.
‘‘Apart from that, I’m looking forward to seeing everyone.’’
Christie, who lives in Shepparton, said the transition from Strathmerton to the big city was a tricky one.
‘‘It was a big move, because clubs probably weren’t as structured with regards to your lifestyle that clubs are now fairly big on,’’ he said.
‘‘It was semiprofessional back then and a bit more social.
‘‘It was a bit of a shock going from the country down to meet Denis Pagan, who was a real fire-and-brimstone coach and let you know where you stood.’’
While his AFL career did not work out, Christie’s relationship with Pagan endured — having served as his assistant coach at Northern Knights in 2009 — and he has no grudges against his more successful teammates.
For the past three years, Christie has been an assistant coach of Murray Bushrangers’ under-16 group and his experiences have been a handy teaching tool.
‘‘I had two years in the under-19s and played about 40 reserve grade games and just couldn’t quite get a senior game,’’ he said.
‘‘I could read the play pretty well and I was a pretty good mark and kick, but maybe just lacked a yard of pace.
‘‘I think about it a bit, but you only have to look at the kids that I’m coaching these days to realise there’s a lot of talented players out there that don’t even get picked up.
‘‘I sort of count myself lucky to have been involved, rather than being bitter about it.
‘‘I had a few depression issues as well and that wasn’t identified until after I stopped playing.
‘‘I can look back on it now and see a few areas where I was struggling and didn’t know where to go for the right support at the time, but now it’s a lot easier and I’ve come full circle.’’
While chasing his AFL dream, Christie also took the opportunity to study, and the property evaluations course he took back then enabled him to secure his current occupation and the life he lives today.
And you can bet the conversation at yesterday’s reunion was as much about where they are now as those glory days.
Katamatite North actually...

He looked like hulk hogan last year and Daw missed the entire year. He was most (including mine) tip to be the breakout youngster of the year for the side.

He needs to put it on the field consistently next year, no more excuses.
Will be 22 next season Pykie. He is still a pup.

Will be 22 next season Pykie. He is still a pup.

Agreed, but he's not even a consistent VFL footballer at this stage, let alone an AFL one.

His limitations aren't physical like most when you quote a KPD at that age.

I'm just asking for him to be a consistent VFL footballer first and foremost, he almost looked disinterested last year.

He should of been a dominant force in the VFL last year and he wasn't, remembering Scott had him down as the great white hope in pre-season and he started the season in the AFL side.

I'm expecting a big turnaround given there's a 2 spots up for grabs between Daw, Durdin and McKay.

.........unless he is hospitalised with pneumonia again.

He didn't have pneumonia in pre-season and he certainly didn't have pnuemonia in Rounds 1, 2 & 3 of the AFL season..............

Agreed, but he's not even a consistent VFL footballer at this stage, let alone an AFL one.

His limitations aren't physical like most when you quote a KPD at that age.

I'm just asking for him to be a consistent VFL footballer first and foremost, he almost looked disinterested last year.

He should of been a dominant force in the VFL last year and he wasn't, remembering Scott had him down as the great white hope in pre-season and he started the season in the AFL side.
Some of that happens when you get pneumonia and get injured. Give him time, the lack of patience on McKay is absolutely mind boggling given the time and investment we put into Tarrant and Daw.

...........he certainly didn't have pnuemonia in Rounds 1, 2 & 3 of the AFL season..............

No, that was when the coach had schizophrenia.

You're going in too hard Pykie. The kid has legitimate excuses for 2019, althoiugh I agree that he needs to make a serious statement next season.

So do a few others. Wood, Ahern, Jacobs, Daw & Xerri.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to improve is all, it's not a earth shattering expectation for him to be a dominant VFL player next year given his physical makeup.

He didn't have pneumonia in pre-season and he certainly didn't have pnuemonia in Rounds 1, 2 & 3 of the AFL season..............

I think you'll find he actually did have undiagnosed pneumonia for the beginning of the year. It dragged for ages and then resulted in a minor soft tissue injury.

i've posted about this guy plenty but he got well stitched up early - Coaches madness didn't help either when he was ready.

Also finished in the bests 3 of the last 5/6 games including a BOG and in the bests for the last two games.

Has some excuses and showed a bit late when he strung some games together.

only 22 - deserves some support to get a good pre-season together.

Has potential and starting to show it.

Mckay is in a lot of bother, watching at training he just looks like he's walking around not knowing whats going on. Obviously my own opinion. Spotted him doing catching skills this wednesday with a tennis ball. 100% dont see him pushing for a senior spot anytime soon unless something drastic changes. Pretty sure he hasnt done a lot of skills work with the main group either.

Mckay is in a lot of bother, watching at training he just looks like he's walking around not knowing whats going on. Obviously my own opinion. Spotted him doing catching skills this wednesday with a tennis ball. 100% dont see him pushing for a senior spot anytime soon unless something drastic changes. Pretty sure he hasnt done a lot of skills work with the main group either.
Its the 21st of November.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back