Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I think anyone not coming back in ripping nick, from there time away, will probably days good by to their afl career.
it’ll be a big tester of who wants it.

Ben's training work rate has never been an issue. I just hope he catches a break and gets a fair crack at it. I know the raw ability is there.

Ben's training work rate has never been an issue. I just hope he catches a break and gets a fair crack at it. I know the raw ability is there.
Would be a good bonus - reckon he is just too soft. Hope he proves me wrong.

Would be a good bonus - reckon he is just too soft. Hope he proves me wrong.

I dunno what you have seen of him over the years, but that is not a trait I have ever identified and I must have watched him play 15-20 times. If you wanted to question his footy smarts, then I can entertain that, but as far as physicality goes, I conclude that he is more 0ofteen than not the initiator of physical contact.

I dunno what you have seen of him over the years, but that is not a trait I have ever identified and I must have watched him play 15-20 times. If you wanted to question his footy smarts, then I can entertain that, but as far as physicality goes, I conclude that he is more 0ofteen than not the initiator of physical contact.
I don't think his physicality in the contest has even been questioned mate.....For me, and I've seen him play only a handful of times, he looks good, but the alarm bells should have been ringing when he didn't really wanna play TAC cup, or whatever it was called. Then he came back and decided he wanted to play.
Then wasn't there something, or some story, about him when he first arrived? Missing his girlfriend or something along those lines....Or was that just BF folklore? I can't remember.

No doubt, he came back looking fit for his 2nd preseason. he would’ve put a mountain of work in to get to that point, hopefully these things are encouraged and appreciated rather then just the incumbents.

Maybe soft is the wrong word. Just doesn't seem desperate enough or hard enough at the ball. Mentioned earlier in this thread I met a mate of his that played with both McKays and he just reckons he is a sook. Maybe that is clouding my judgement. Do you really think he will make it? Doesn't seem to be too many who think so. I haven't seen a lot of him but what I have he just doesn't seem to be tough enough or have enough mongrel to be a good half back. Would be a real bonus to have him step up.

Bit of a forgotten man is Benjamin M these days. Big men take time but this'll be his 5th year in the system. At some point he needs to make a charge.

He's had some bad luck but isn't out in Alex Johnson territory either.

He came across as a cheeky, assured character as a draftee. I hope he still has a bit of that attitude about him. We've discussed it umpteenth times now, he looked a really strong contested mark in his 1st VFL season.

For whatever reason since he just hasn't forced the selector's hands at the right time. Even this year a DFA came in and immediately went past him. Iirc he wasn't even an emergency ahead of Durdin.

There's time but a bit of ground to make up too.

Insightful stuff.

Have to agree with him. He doesn’t play with the intensity required for a KPD. The fact that he didn’t get a marsh series gig, the addition of Walker, and the fact Durdin was emergency before him probably shows how the club views him. Also the club indicated it wants to draft a key defender just the other day didn’t they?

Have to agree with him. He doesn’t play with the intensity required for a KPD. The fact that he didn’t get a marsh series gig, the addition of Walker, and the fact Durdin was emergency before him probably shows how the club views him. Also the club indicated it wants to draft a key defender just the other day didn’t they?
That they did Dude - that they did.

Durds went past BMac, the journeyman Walker went past Durds and now the club is openly saying we need to draft defenders even though BMac and Durds are still on the list.

We need to get it right this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5th season in, we’d want to see some considerable progress this year otherwise he’ll be moving into Durdin like career stagnation.
Haven’t had a lot of success in this area recruitment-wise the last decade.
Was only thinking earlier this week it must be our biggest concern/priority for the next crack at the flag.

Not long until Taz hangs up the boots...

Ominous that he was invisible in the pre-season and has been in no club media (that I've seen) all year.
You would think he would be busting a gut to get a game. Now that Daw is out for a while this is his opportunity - but as you say not a peep from the club re his progress which doesn't bode well.

He should be knocking over any team mate who stands in his way and demand attention from selectors - it just seems like he and Durds aren't made of that stuff.

Ominous that he was invisible in the pre-season and has been in no club media (that I've seen) all year.
I've seen more of him at my local Coles over the last month than i have on North media im the last 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back