Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
v Freo?

Most likely Taberner (199cm/97kgs)

I doubt it.

Considering he will be our biggest forward he will have to go to Lobbe or Hogan (if Hogan gets up).

I'd say despite the noise, I'd probably put Tarrant more towards unlikely than likely to play that game.

EVW is going to have to play on one of the big boys. I'd probably put Durdin on Taberner (If Durdin is fit).

If not, then it gets tricky.

We could go with Watson for a game down back or we may literally have to play Wright/JMAC on a big boy.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
I doubt it.

Considering he will be our biggest forward he will have to go to Lobbe or Hogan (if Hogan gets up).

I'd say despite the noise, I'd probably put Tarrant more towards unlikely than likely to play that game.

EVW is going to have to play on one of the big boys. I'd probably put Durdin on Taberner (If Durdin is fit).

We could go with Watson for a game down back or we may literally have to play Wright/JMAC on a big boy.
Just mentioned this in his player thread but could Campbell play a role in defence?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I doubt it.

I'm not expecting Hogan to play, hence the Taberner match up. Hogan is still putting on runners and doing laps when Freo start contact work.

Tazz will take Lobb.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well we are going to have to find out. Round 1 he can play on Lobb. Round 2 that big Irish guy. Round 3 roughy. Round 4 Jenkins ..... guys like Hawkins, Daniher, Lynch etc would all suit him.

But in principle I agree. He’s more limited than say Tazz.
Is Oscar McInerny Irish?

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just mentioned this in his player thread but could Campbell play a role in defence?
Cool avatar, Ocha. I lived in Yarraville until recently and I went to the Sun Theatre the other day and in the St George room there is a painting that they attribute to Kandinsky. I couldn't believe that it was real and I asked the staff if it was and they said it was original from when they redid the building. Still a mystery I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cool avatar, Ocha. I lived in Yarraville until recently and I went to the Sun Theatre the other day and in the St George room there is a painting that they attribute to Kandinsky. I couldn't believe that it was real and I asked the staff if it was and they said it was original from when they redid the building. Still a mystery I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
Sun Theatre is that good. Keen to get this at some point for the wall.

https://www.harperandcharlie.com/collections/iconic-melbourne-prints/products/sun-theatre-yarraville

Off topic? Certainly.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Woah! I'll have to check it out thanks for letting me know. I wonder how they got it real or otherwise.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Woah! I'll have to check it out thanks for letting me know. I wonder how they got it real or otherwise.
Well across the railway line from the Sun was the historic St George Theatre which is now apartments and I found that Kandisnky had a painting called St George and the Dragon. So maybe it used to be in the St George? I feel like there is probably a good story behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
we might just have to have a bit of a think about the Mckay situation...

To me it is starting to look like he is too big to play on a mobile forward...and they are all mobile these days

Our better backmen of late Taz Thommo Daw are nowhere near as big as ben, Thommo in particular plays big small whatever and he is say 193

McKay is 200 and 100kg Once a fwd takes off he is gone
Watching Watson clean him up yesterday and most of us didnt even know who Watson was is a worry

Dont think there are any other backmen this big....on any team

He is mobile for a big fella. Much more so than Durdin. I’d actually argue he is much quicker and even a bit more agile than Tazza.

Harris Andrews & Rory Thompson are very similar in height and weight. It’s not uncommon for key defenders to be this big these days

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is mobile for a big fella. Much more so than Durdin. I’d actually argue he is much quicker and even a bit more agile than Tazza.

Harris Andrews & Rory Thompson are very similar in height and weight. It’s not uncommon for key defenders to be this big these days
Don't agree he's more agile than Durdin. Probably quicker in the mind though.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
How is Harry travelling these days? If his brother is any indication, I'd say pretty well.

He's improving rapidly but like all key position players, they take time.

I believe this is his first full preseason. Continuity has been a real issue in the past with the stress fractures in his back, turf toe and other setbacks.

I just hope we don't bulk him up too much so he remains quick and agile. Players like Hipwood and Lukosius seem to be the prototype forward these days.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
agreed. watched him closely and was a bit disappointed. he doesnt look like the kind of athlete he is often described as being on here.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The problem is he has played one game of AFL. He's going to take plenty of time to adjust to the high standard. He will take his lumps like all young key defenders. Needed to play him last year.

I'm a huge believer in him but he's not going to magically dominate straight away with his lack of experience.

Back