Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his disposal is decent apart from goalkicking based on what I've seen in the VFL.

Can't say I see much of him in the VFL... maybe I can meet in the middle and say under AFL pressure he has a lot to learn about his disposal.

Why would he play with Taz and Thommo in the side? What would be his role?

Thommo has a year left in all likelihood. I can almost guarantee the set up will be tested many times this season, especially until Daw returns. We need to work out McKay, he'll get opportunity this year.

LOL any in the last decade? :think::think:
LOL. Are you serious? Scott Thompson made the All Australian team in 2013. Robbie Tarrant switched to defence in 2015 and won the Syd Barker in 2016 and made the AA squad. Majak Daw switched to defence in 2018 and within a year was ranked elite as a defender by Champion Data.

Lemme put this into perspective, you got a bloke who had decent to good VFL form last year, his first AFL game he didn't even finish playing it after getting ******* poleaxed, he's been in the 2's since, our defenders have gone down with injuries and suspension and Ben McKay is asked to fill the shoes of Robbie Tarrant in the JLT.

Naturally you're gonna be nervous, and so he turns in a game where he's not stellar but not bad.
Suddenly those who haven't been paying attention to this bloke he comes off as an absolute spud IN A PRE-SEASON GAME.

Lemme put this into perspective, you got a bloke who had decent to good VFL form last year, his first AFL game he didn't even finish playing it after getting ******* poleaxed, he's been in the 2's since, our defenders have gone down with injuries and suspension and Ben McKay is asked to fill the shoes of Robbie Tarrant in the JLT.

Naturally you're gonna be nervous, and so he turns in a game where he's not stellar but not bad.
Suddenly those who haven't been paying attention to this bloke he comes off as an absolute spud IN A PRE-SEASON GAME.
Exactly. Low intensity high scoring JLT game where we made 24 tackles. Not exactly defender friendly conditions. Yet everyone wants to write him off. Personally I am keeping the faith and have little doubt he will go on to become an excellent KPP for North.....

Exactly. Low intensity high scoring JLT game where we made 24 tackles. Not exactly defender friendly conditions. Yet everyone wants to write him off. Personally I am keeping the faith and have little doubt he will go on to become an excellent KPP for North.....

It's really this simple, he needs games. That's about it. His brother was written off in the same way, had one breakout game and now people love him over at Carlton. Just need to persist, we ain't exactly in a position to be picky with our defenders. There may be a point where it might be apparent he's no good.

But to make that call now would be so short sighted.

Football intelligence is at an all time low.

I personally blame dream team and supercoach.

Ben turned 21 in December.

At the same age Ben debuted, Tarrant hadn't debuted, Thompson was playing for South Barwon and Majak was running around in the VFL................reserves.

Some of you need to get a grip on yourselves.

Last edited:
Football intelligence is at an all time low.

I personally blame dream team and supercoach.
Its not just football.....its society in general; instant gratification, short attention spans, zero tolerance and everything is totally binary eg. 'Spud' or 'Gun'...no subtlety or nuance... it's the pitchfork era....

Its not just football.....its society in general; instant gratification, short attention spans, zero tolerance and everything is totally binary eg. 'Spud' or 'Gun'...no subtlety or nuance... it's the pitchfork era....

The supercoach types are never going to get a young defender like McKay. They may as well be interpreting ice skating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He competed well but his field kicking was poor in the first 1/2.
2nd half I thought he was ok.

He’s going to get better and be around for a long time.

It’s just going to take a bit of belief. His game in the VFL was all about backing himself. He knew he was good. He’s been reactive so far in the seniors. There’ll be one moment (and it may have already happened) where he’ll attack it, win it, and he’ll be off and away.

It was the exact same scenario as Daw last year. Everyone was criticising the move from the get go (including me).

McKay is raw, but immensely talented.

Judgement should be left until he has actually played some footy with some experienced heads (I.e Tarrant) around him.

Judging an inexperience key defender after two pre season games where pressure on midfields has been limited is just crazy talk.

Anyone who has jumped off the McKay mini bus needs to go back and watch some of the footy he played in the VFL last year.

Give him time, give him confidence and give him some bloody KP support and he will be a totally different player.

It’s just going to take a bit of belief. His game in the VFL was all about backing himself. He knew he was good. He’s been reactive so far in the seniors. There’ll be one moment (and it may have already happened) where he’ll attack it, win it, and he’ll be off and away.

He needs to go for his marks more. Play similar to Robbie. Simply being reactive isn’t his game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was the exact same scenario as Daw last year. Everyone was criticising the move from the get go (including me).

Judgement should be left until he has actually played some footy with some experienced heads (I.e Tarrant) around him.

Judging an inexperience key defender after two pre season games where pressure on midfields has been limited is just crazy talk.

Anyone who has jumped off the McKay mini bus needs to go back and watch some of the footy he played in the VFL last year.

Give him time, give him confidence and give him some bloody KP support and he will be a totally different player.

It’s our own fault to a degree for not giving him 5-6 games last year. You can’t simply put him in the seniors as the main defender and expect him to simply thrive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think North BF in general jump on the bus to quick and find themselves in an unsavoury part of town.

Ben is miles off and I have no issues with that, the "bus" is yet to be constructed

1552181649236.png

Let's give this kid at least 30 games to firstly adapt to AFL and to then learn his craft as a KPD. Can't become an AA defender overnight

He won't need 30 games mate. All he needs is 5 games with Tarrant & Thompson beside him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back