Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

northbergs

All Australian
Dec 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Harry has been given more opportunity and has played 20 games, Ben only 4. The kid cannot be judged yet. Now is the time to get a string of games into him and see where he best fits and to build confidence. Tarrant, Petrie, Hansen are 3 KPs I can think of who did set the world on fire in the early days.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me it's Bard's continual desire to fast track success at the expense of youth by playing senior players regardless of form has continued to nullify and ruin so much potential talent. Each year it seems we de-list a number of un-tried young talent that has been wasting away in the magoos because Scott has his favourites who he won't drop.

IMO by protecting his own reputation so that we could finish a meritorious 9th last year, we missed the perfect opportunity to begin pumping games into young talent like McKay. Players like Ben and Nick Larkey (I could go on) have become pigeon-holed and never get truly tested. The club has a bad loss and we all know that the first ones to go will be the youth.

Ben does have massive potential. At the moment he has zero confidence. A lot like the majority of our side who are confronted with a confusing game plan and development coaches who don't know how to develop.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Harry Mackay played a very good game in the Blues first win of the season....4 goals.....

I've been thinking.....

Given that Ben is very similar to Harry in size. Ben is also a strong contested mark.

I don't want to shock anyone, but I actually heard a rumour they may be twins......

Here's an idea Brad, why not try Ben as a Key Position Forward ??????

Or is that too way out and could potentially freak young Ben out and he may never recover.....?

Or am I just being impatient expecting a player that has been in the system for 3 years, to actually SHOW SOMETHING !

North1411

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Harry Mackay played a very good game in the Blues first win of the season....4 goals.....

I've been thinking.....

Given that Ben is very similar to Harry in size. Ben is also a strong contested mark.

I don't want to shock anyone, but I actually heard a rumour they may be twins......

Or is that too way out and could potentially freak young Ben out and he may never recover.....?

Or am I just being impatient expecting a player that has been in the system for 3 years, to actually SHOW SOMETHING !
The problem is they tried when he was first drafted in the VFL and he didn't go that well. Played most of juniors in defence and he was not sure he wanted to be drafted till later in draft year so didn't play in the rep sides as much as his brother, and possible not at all.

When they moved him back to defence he looked a lot more comfortable and made good improvements. I am not saying we shouldn't try it again, I am just saying they already have tried him forward

MrBlueandWhite

Senior List
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I've been thinking.....

Those are also great attributes for a key defender. I think he's going to get exposed more in the beginning of his career at times as there is no where to hide as a defender. But he will develop and with persistent will become a quality defender. When he played as a forward in the VFL he didn't seem to be able to impact games

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm still bemused we're not giving him consistent games. Like who are we kidding ourselves we're not about to go on a 17 game winning streak with this draw, the seasons done.

Get him on the park and begin to trial him forward on occasion but keep him at full back to allow us preparation for Scooters retirement.

I'm still bemused we're not giving him consistent games. Like who are we kidding ourselves we're not about to go on a 17 game winning streak with this draw, the seasons done.

Get him on the park and begin to trial him forward on occasion but keep him at full back to allow us preparation for Scooters retirement.
Isn't he injured? I thought that was why he didn't play last week.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn't he injured? I thought that was why he didn't play last week.

I thought he was dropped but apparently he has pneumonia? I've had pneumonia twice, it's not something you'd get over in 1-2 weeks lol

1556082696334.png

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pneumonia. Seriously what else is going to go wrong this year? And we’re barely out of the starting blocks.

I do wonder how a big strapping 21 year old kid ends up with pneumonia.

I do wonder how a big strapping 21 year old kid ends up with pneumonia.
Maybe the crutches he was using for his busted toe were a bit germy

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
....as does Ben McKay, who didn't play in the VFL because of a quad injury after overcoming pneumonia and a sore toe in recent weeks....

Wow - that's some run for the young fella...all to avoid playing on his brother and all....

Back