Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

I know for a fact that he was extremely peed off he wasn’t getting games in the latter half of last year
If he doesn’t play any more for the rest of this year, it’ll very interesting to see how it plays out.
We can sit back and say , “he’s not quite ready”, but does Ben believe this ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well if he believes he does then he should start playing like it. Timid and hesitant. I think once HE truly believes he belongs will be when he rapidly improves

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well if he believes he does then he should start playing like it. Timid and hesitant. I think once HE truly believes he belongs will be when he rapidly improves

Agree. He seems very timid on field so i suspect when his confidence increases so will how he goes about it.

I'm not even sure Durdin deserves a game let alone McKay. We don't need to rebuild and gift games to anyone at this stage.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I know for a fact that he was extremely peed off he wasn’t getting games in the latter half of last year
If he doesn’t play any more for the rest of this year, it’ll very interesting to see how it plays out.

I know first hand that he was very frustrated under Scott (which included Loader).

He has job security and lots of friends at the club but his management (Winny Rous) is concerned about his development.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I know first hand that he was very frustrated under Scott (which included Loader).

He has job security and lots of friends at the club but his management (Winny Rous) is concerned about his development.

If it's any consolation I was very frustrated under Scott (which included Loader).

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, Paddy Dow must be in play.

Ben's arguably the best young listed KPD NOT currently playing in the AFL.

Carlton also have a significant investment in Weitering, Jones is still only 28, and Macreadie is contracted until the end of next season.

I stand by Dows ability, he can be a very good player. I just don't think he can be at Carlton.

I reckon North could make him a better player.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It really does not matter if Ben thinks he is ready or not. There is probably a dozen players thinking they are ready I think Ben just needs to put his head down and have more performers like he did on the weekend and leave the club no choice but to pick him on form. Not on weather Ben thinks he is ready and not worrying about him wanting to leave. Iam pretty confident he is happy at North at the moment and less someone else has heard different.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Obviously played really well in the VFL on Sunday but has to get a bad disposal habit out of his game, especially playing back.

He still quickly commits to kicking the ball to a team mate he's facing when he gets the ball, even if an opponent is too close to his target and/or he's kicking into the corridor. He needs to stop committing so early and be prepared to turn and look for other options. Sure, move it quickly when you can but don't just kick it the way you're facing when you get it because it's easier and quicker. The consequences are needlessly giving up easy goals - just can't do it.

Apart from that he's looking good.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He still quickly commits to kicking the ball to a team mate he's facing when he gets the ball, even if an opponent is too close to his target and/or he's kicking into the corridor. He needs to stop committing so early and be prepared to turn and look for other options. Sure, move it quickly when you can but don't just kick it the way you're facing when you get it because it's easier and quicker. The consequences are needlessly giving up easy goals - just can't do it.

Might've been instructed to do that, it certainly seemed like a definite intent to get rid of it quickly in his senior games this year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a very different player if/when he gets his next senior outing.

Two weeks in a row!!

As stated, he needs to be heads down and just focus on playing good footy and clearly, his time will come.

If Durdin pulls up lame this week , it may come quicker than expected for him:)

You can imagine seeing all the rising stars and youngsters getting a run like Kyron that the new leadership must be giving great hope that form = chance!

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How did he go over the weekend? Would be a handy in with the height in the Brisbane forward line

I stand by Dows ability, he can be a very good player. I just don't think he can be at Carlton.

I reckon North could make him a better player.

Any danger of north fans spreading this idea far and wide?

Similar to bayern munich fans chasing CHO.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hasn’t come on like his brother but to be honest haven’t seen much of him
In the VFL

With Thommo going we are desperate for a KPD to take over

Is he going to make it?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hasn’t come on like his brother but to be honest haven’t seen much of him In the VFL

His brother hasn't have the forward equivalents of Tarrant & Thompson in his way.

Ben would have been Carlton's full back last year.

Back