Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Without Thommo in 2020 though...

IMO, he'll play with Tazz. The whole L-Mac/EVW thing throws up other scenarios. We are going to be spoiled for choices.

I can't see Ahern getting back there for the long term.

Durdin reads the play better.

McKay is certainly big and can influence a contest when he gets one, but his positioning is a little off and second efforts lack urgency sometimes.

You know those times when a player misses a big defensive play and is like "well there goes my chance to kill the contest, ah well" instead of going back and trying to kill the ball again? Ive only seen the lad 4 or 5 times in the flesh this year at vfl games but that's the take away I get from him

McKay is certainly big and can influence a contest when he gets one, but his positioning is a little off and second efforts lack urgency sometimes.

You know those times when a player misses a big defensive play and is like "well there goes my chance to kill the contest, ah well" instead of going back and trying to kill the ball again? Ive only seen the lad 4 or 5 times in the flesh this year at vfl games but that's the take away I get from him

It's a bit harsh given how pathetic our twos have been this year.

How do you even judge a young tall defender who has next to midfield defensive support?

You were there yesterday, weren't you? How did you see his game? I didn't think he did much wrong. Had his share of marks, killed a few contests, didn't get lit up by his opponent, got involved in the ball movement out of the backline. Probably wasn't bashing the door down but if they wanted to put Taz in cotton wool for the last round I'd be happy for him to come in on the back of that.

Agree. This sums him up.

You were there yesterday, weren't you? How did you see his game? I didn't think he did much wrong. Had his share of marks, killed a few contests, didn't get lit up by his opponent, got involved in the ball movement out of the backline. Probably wasn't bashing the door down but if they wanted to put Taz in cotton wool for the last round I'd be happy for him to come in on the back of that.
I was, thought he was pretty ok without being outstanding, might just be because hes had a very interrupted year and the games I get to besides today he's been limited in duties but he just seems so slow to react.
Maybe the bulldogs ease of transition is just too quick. I thought Campbell got us out of more defensive contest than big Ben.

Might look better with better midfield pressure in front of him, after all, our defense looked second rate against the eagles because the mids let them down. Quintero makes a valid point in that regard.

Worth keeping with Thommo leaving. Let him and the other KPDs try to stake their claim on his spot.

Indeed- he has finished the year well with many games in the best and two BOG efforts. He is clearly improving but hasn't been at the lvl this year.

Seeing a big man retire with the energy of the young brigade coming through, he will be hungry as hell.

I'd love him to get a game this week to really send him the message that its up to him now - step it up and you are nearly there!!

I don't know why there's any doubts over B-Mac.

If you're going by the early season debacle, then seasoned defenders looked like hacks.

My only criticism of B-Mac is that he likes to mark from behind his opponent on occasion when he should punch.

He's a better player than Durds.

If you're going by the early season debacle, then seasoned defenders looked like hacks.

My only criticism of B-Mac is that he likes to mark from behind his opponent on occasion when he should punch.

He’s a bigger body and better 1v1 defender than Durdin I think, but Sam has some genuine toe for his size and a much better kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a bigger body and better 1v1 defender than Durdin I think, but Sam has some genuine toe for his size and a much better kick.

Don't reckon there's that much difference in the kicking mate & BBB is built to play on the bulls.

Ben is also a better mark.

I’m not sure he is a better player at the moment. But if both players can reach their potential then I think McKay will be the better player.

I’m just not sold on Durdin. There wasn’t a lot of heat on Saturday night and Durdin looked like he was playing with a piece of soap in the wet while just about everyone else was clean.

At the moment we need both to kick on to give us options.

IMO, he'll play with Tazz. The whole L-Mac/EVW thing throws up other scenarios. We are going to be spoiled for choices.

I can't see Ahern getting back there for the long term.

Don’t worry Snake, injuries can be depended upon to curtail any surplus in the “spoilt for choice” department. Why should 2020 be any different?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope your right, Snake. Right now, though, the jury is still out. The only thing we can say for sure is that Ben “looks” better than Sam. He needs to get a good run of games. Hopefully, Tarrant and Ben play all JLT games together.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope your right, Snake. Right now, though, the jury is still out. The only thing we can say for sure is that Ben “looks” better than Sam. He needs to get a good run of games. Hopefully, Tarrant and Ben play all JLT games together.

There's no "jury out" with me mate.

I have watched them both play enough football.

It’s going to be interesting where everyone fits with the return of Majak and EVW, who are locks imo.

You then have Tarrant as well. MacMillan/McDonald/Jasper can easily cover a tallish 4th forward.

It could be strongly argued there isn’t a place for another tall there in the best 22, as both Durdin and McKay are lockdown types who don’t give us much rebound.

I would be shopping one of them at the trade table and seeing if there is interest.

The other would stay as backup (or both if there is no interest).

It’s going to be interesting where everyone fits with the return of Majak and EVW, who are locks imo.

You then have Tarrant as well. MacMillan/McDonald/Jasper can easily cover a tallish 4th forward.

It could be strongly argued there isn’t a place for another tall there in the best 22, as both Durdin and McKay are lockdown types who don’t give us much rebound.

I would be shopping one of them at the trade table and seeing if there is interest.

If the inner scrotes are right, it looks like McKay is on the trade table.

what about forward KP depth though? Garner never reliable with injury and wood on the trade table we only have maybe xerri or campbell.

Daw could be thrown back there or one of durdin/mckay can become a swingman (if they're good enough).

we can put him on the trade table but we may just be trading him out to get someone similar in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back