Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m glad to see the club going this way. We have a history of holding on too long. As a young first round draft pick the lad may have some currency.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
97E13E0F-E73D-45F7-B024-385B05A31581.jpeg

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Daw & Durdin get 1 year, McKay gets 2 years, yet McKay is supposedly on the trade table?

BS out, Joyce out etc..... change of heart if true understandable. I think he has the ability and physique to be a seriously good player. I worry its an attitude/maturity thing. Needs to go and look at all of Scotty Thompson's footage and see the required effort. Long term contract I worry made him complacent that things would just happen.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
BS out, Joyce out etc..... change of heart if true understandable. I think he has the ability and physique to be a seriously good player. I worry its an attitude/maturity thing. Needs to go and look at all of Scotty Thompson's footage and see the required effort. Long term contract I worry made him complacent that things would just happen.

I'm in the same camp as you mate.

I have no doubts about his ability, and the kid has a great training work ethic also.

I reckon that focus is his issue.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Interesting you mention a player who didn't get their opportunity until 21.

If that was the minimum draft age the recruitment success %s would go through the roof for all clubs.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
With Daw set to return next year, it looks like it’s gonna be a fight between McKay and Durdin for that Key Defender position. He should realise that the only thing stopping him from playing seniors next season is his own form. Scooter is gone now.

Where are the individuals saying that Ben will be better than Harry? Because that type of non-sense was getting bandy about after the 2015 draft...purely based on North bias.

Harry has made his spot in Carlton's forward line his own and brother Ben can't get a game. There have been openings for him in defence or forward for the past 4 years.

Last edited:

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where are the individuals saying that Ben will be better than Harry? Because that type of non-sense was getting bandy about after the 2015 draft...purely based on North bias.

Harry has made his spot in Carlton's forward line his own and brother Ben can't get a game. There have been openings for him in defence of forward for the past 4 years.

He seems to lack the athletic traits of Harry. Looking like forward, ruck or bust to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
In the Dan Nielson camp of being an extraordinarily shocking short kick and average decision maker with ball in hand. This is where Durdin has the clear edge on him atm, as well as just being a smarter footballer all round.

The difference between McKay and Nielson is obviously in the size area. BMac needs to make himself an elite stopper to have a long-term career.

So- I spoke to a relative of Ben's today. I work with this person but at a different site. We always bond over BMac.

I said "I'm hearing bad news" , funnily the person thought I was referring to the death of an AFL person, I quickly corrected them.

I said " No - I've read he wants out, going to play with Harry at Carlton"

They said - "Carlton!! - no , he wouldn't go there, he doesn't want to play with his brother but they have been chasing him for ages"

They said - 'He was a bit frustrated about not getting a game but hes fine now" "You know he was sick for the first half of the year and by the time he came good he couldn't get in the team"

I was like, "well - good!, next year if he can play good footy its his for the taking"

Then we had a drink.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would prefer to keep McKay if possible. He has very little trade value right now but has great upside.

Having a pneumonia is also a significant thing that people gloss over too lightly. If we lose him I hope it's for a good price otherwise it's a failure of player management as far as I'm concerned.

trading him would have been a waste we would barely get 4th rounder and he might take off and benefit the other club. We keep him and give him an extended stay. Him and durdin will be our long term key position backs.

Back