Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

But seriously, still 21yo, we should really only look to move him on if he hasn’t shown anything by 23. Still young in his career!
Yep we persisted with Durdin for longer and through worse form. Big year coming up.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Happy to be proven wrong, but don't think he's gunna make it.

I’m willing to cut him some slack.

He was dominant at VFL level in ‘18. He just never seemed to get going this year. He was crook, played in a team with a system that made 100+ game players look incompetent, then got hurt.

He’d want to bounce back this year in a big way but I’m happy to give him the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what was said about Jed Anderson after Pneumonia as well.

Not by me.

And Ben hasn't had pneumonia.

Tbh I just don't reckon Ben is good enough at footy to be a long term AFL senior player.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
His kicking and decision making isn't quite Dan Nielson levels of bad, but it's not great.

Unlike Nielson, he's got a significant size advantage. Needs to become an elite stopper in the Daniel Talia mold if he's going to have an AFL career because, like Talia, he's never going to offer much going the other way. It's the reason, too, why Durds has him comfortably covered atm.

In saying that, he's still really young. He has plenty of time to improve. I don't think we'd get value in shifting him out this year.

Yep we persisted with Durdin for longer and through worse form. Big year coming up.
Drafted the year after Durds so there isn't much "longer" in the persisting, and without checking I suspect Durdin had a worse run with injury. He's almost exactly where Sam was a year ago but with a bit more contract security.

I have a work colleague who also supports North. We chat abit about the footy and the club as you do with fellow supporters. He tells me that his uncle lives two streets away from the Jeffersons. The Jeffersons it turns out live in the same suburb as the McKay family. So through a trail of legitimate truth....my mate at work has the inside info on the McKay brothers.

2 days ago he tells me that Ben will seek a trade to another Melbourne based club in the hope getting more opportunities. His desire is to go to Carlton but is happy to go anywhere provided he doesn’t go interstate.

After my mate told me this...we were alone in the coffee room on our break. So we tugged each other off whilst no one was around and then we hugged it out.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I have a work colleague who also supports North. We chat abit about the footy and the club as you do with fellow supporters. He tells me that his uncle lives two streets away from the Jeffersons. The Jeffersons it turns out live in the same suburb as the McKay family. So through a trail of legitimate truth....my mate at work has the inside info on the McKay brothers.

2 days ago he tells me that Ben will seek a trade to another Melbourne based club in the hope getting more opportunities. His desire is to go to Carlton but is happy to go anywhere provided he doesn’t go interstate.

After my mate told me this...we were alone in the coffee room on our break. So we tugged each other off whilst no one was around and then we hugged it out.

Your 1st 2 paragraphs are clearly bullshit.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

We still on for coffee this week Dan?

My word, some workplace that you have there.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would prefer to keep McKay if possible. He has very little trade value right now but has great upside.

Having a pneumonia is also a significant thing that people gloss over too lightly. If we lose him I hope it's for a good price otherwise it's a failure of player management as far as I'm concerned.
My sister almost died from it and she was sick for a long time, its serious stuff

Keep on list and give him the games to see how he goes.Give him a big pre Season and tell Ben it’s up 2 you.
Maybe Shaw can get the best out of him.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You didn't tell us which one of you ate the Sao.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
So- I spoke to a relative of Ben's today. I work with this person but at a different site. We always bond over BMac.

I said "I'm hearing bad news" , funnily the person thought I was referring to the death of an AFL person, I quickly corrected them.

I said " No - I've read he wants out, going to play with Harry at Carlton"

They said - "Carlton!! - no , he wouldn't go there, he doesn't want to play with his brother but they have been chasing him for ages"

They said - 'He was a bit frustrated about not getting a game but hes fine now" "You know he was sick for the first half of the year and by the time he came good he couldn't get in the team"

I was like, "well - good!, next year if he can play good footy its his for the taking"

Then we had a drink.
E37317DD-DFB1-478B-A378-CD6D8C2A29A9.gif

I’m willing to cut him some slack.

He was dominant at VFL level in ‘18. He just never seemed to get going this year. He was crook, played in a team with a system that made 100+ game players look incompetent, then got hurt.

He’d want to bounce back this year in a big way but I’m happy to give him the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just doesn't seem equipped for the modern game IMO. He'd be ok in Mick Martyn era, but in today's footy a key defender who can't do much once the ball hits the deck, and isn't prolific by foot will struggle to make it.

Perhaps forward is the spot for him after all, and if Wood wasn't there we could try to play him at CHF as a third tall? Don't know, but can't see him making it in the backline.

Back