Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad game today, but he seemed to be back to his tentative old self again, I'd like to see him kick on the run more instead of just planting kicks off the mark and telegraphing it too much.

Short kicks need some work too, and we've yet to see 'Buckets' come out to play.

But at least he admits in his post-game interview that he made a few mistakes and wants to really succeed so he'll be good for the run.

Not a bad game today, but he seemed to be back to his tentative old self again, I'd like to see him kick on the run more instead of just planting kicks off the mark and telegraphing it too much.

Short kicks need some work too, and we've yet to see 'Buckets' come out to play.

But at least he admits in his post-game interview that he made a few mistakes and wants to really succeed so he'll be good for the run.

Just watched the replay, yeah I kinda agree but with 2 inside 50's and 7/8 tackles hes certainly cracked in pretty will to go with his 15 possies.

Not too far off looking at home and deserves acknowledgment for a step forward today.

Wondering if he will eventually be transitioned into a forward?

Never say never but I wouldn't think anytime soon.

We have heavily invested in the backline with Durdin, EVEW and BMac costing plenty of picks and importantly time.

With Durdin and EVW potential delistings and Tarrant not getting any younger , looks obvious to me that we would be despewrately hoping Ben can kick on and make Full Back his own. Has the physical attributes and clearly enough skill to do it but time will tel - I hope by years end he is best 22 without question.

Doesn't hurt having Tarrant mentoring him either.

Quite obvious watching Ben that it’s just clicked for him - looks comfortable out there.

He’s obviously a big strong boy and is great at spoiling. The positive for me yesterday was really seeing the run/carry and the tackling. Couple really nice strings to his bow as a key defender that make him much more then just the gorilla mountain defender.

He is best 22.

The longevity of Thompson didn’t help either. Also why is there talk of delisting durdin, he is turning 25 Next year and we are not exactly flush on young kpd. I am hoping we trade off brown in that he is an highly talent inconvenience with his lack of key forward ability and mental health burden. Having walker and daw give us 2 versatile players who could contribute in the forward line. Larkey needs to stay fit, he is the key. Then there’s woods, could still be a match winner give the right motivation,

The longevity of Thompson didn’t help either. Also why is there talk of delisting durdin, he is turning 25 Next year and we are not exactly flush on young kpd. I am hoping we trade off brown in that he is an highly talent inconvenience with his lack of key forward ability and mental health burden. Having walker and daw give us 2 versatile players who could contribute in the forward line. Larkey needs to stay fit, he is the key. Then there’s woods, could still be a match winner give the right motivation,

The leading goalkicker over the last three years of football and what the heck? What mental health burden?

Saying Thommo's longevity ( he played until he was 33) didn't help is nuts. If you think that then Boomer must be the worst thing that ever happened to the club.

The leading goalkicker over the last three years of football and what the heck? What mental health burden?

Saying Thommo's longevity ( he played until he was 33) didn't help is nuts. If you think that then Boomer must be the worst thing that ever happened to the club.

Yes boomers longevity made us overly reliant on him. Until he's final year, he was still the main mid and that says something about the lack of succession.

Liked it when he went on a run and delivered into the fwd50 resulting in a goal. Building confidence must keep going if he keeps building like he is he will be that perfect tarrant replacement we've needed when he finishes up
I was bloody shocked when he did that. Was a great play.

Ignore him. He thinks that if the AFL comes calling again to relocate us we should say yes, that cunners is s**t and we should shop him (was saying this prior to his injury) and now he's using Brown's family tragedy as part of his rationale for giving him the arse too.

Ignore him. He thinks that if the AFL comes calling again to relocate us we should say yes, that cunners is sh*t and we should shop him (was saying this prior to his injury) and now he's using Brown's family tragedy as part of his rationale for giving him the arse too.

I dunno how it survives here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know what you're doing with this guy.

As a style of player he's in the mould of Carlisle or Hooker. He's massive and should be a dominant aerial presence zoning across half back but he's also a bit of a lumberer which means searching leads are not his thing.

No idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea to play him on Tom Lynch yesterday.

Plonk him at CHB and leave him there and then work out whether Durdin is the guy to play on hard leading talls to replace Tarrant long term.

Your player development looks a lot like ours. It takes too long to get some players into the side and in positions that suit.

26 games in a combined 10 years (5.5 plus 4.5) on the list between McKay and Durdin (who looked solid enough last year) is ridiculous. About as bad as finding a way to limit Ridley and Draper the way we have.

Last edited:
Don't know what you're doing with this guy.

As a style of player he's in the mould of Carlisle or Hooker. He's massive and should be a dominant aerial presence zoning across half back but he's also a bit of a lumberer which means searching leads are not his thing.

No idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea to play him on Tom Lynch yesterday.

Plonk him at CHB and leave him there and then work out whether Durdin is the guy to play on hard leading talls to replace Tarrant long term.

You're player development looks a lot like ours. It takes too long to get some players into the side and in positions that suit.

26 games in a combined 11 (5.5 pls 4.5) years on the list between McKay and Durdin (who looked solid enough last year) is ridiculous. About as bad as finding a way to limit Ridley and Draper the way we have.

Oh, our development of Durdin and McKay has been pretty woeful and most of us recognize it. Hell i think almost everyone is surprised that McKay finally looks like making it as a player.

But what's not mentioned was that after Petrie had a good start, he stagnated and didn't really come to the fore until 2011 and before that he was bit part player.
From memory, as soon as Petrie showed some positive signs, he was played as the centre half-forward. he struggled, and I thought that this move set his development back by a few years. On the positive side, it meant he crammed in a good quota of AFL games earlier than he would otherwise have.

Big Ben is only 22 I heard, if he establish then he will be a major asset.

Nah just says how good he was.

Theres no doubting that however an organisation must always be preparing for next batch, even a michael jordan could only last 15 years, as soon as he went, Bulls went down to the gutter and never recovered......We never recovered after Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back