Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be the absolute priority signing.

Arguably our most important player.

On a side note, would you trade pick 1 for his brother?

IMG_3482.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is the key point though. What's fair? If he was worth $450K at the start of the year before anyone had played footy, and he's currently smashing the AFL's best key forwards to pieces, is $450K still fair? What if he keeps Hawkins goalless this weekend and we scramble to put a $450K contract in front of him - "here you go Ben, here's how we value you"?

This isn't a BBB situation where he's negotiating one of the contracts on the back end. This is the contract for McKay. He can turn what might have been a 2 year, $450K extension at the end of last year, into a 4 or 5 year, $600K extension with a fantastic year this year. I just don't know why you'd ever, ever sign anything they put in front of you until you've played all the footy you can, especially if you're in the form he's in at the moment
I've been thinking about this and if he does well enough he'd be worth five years at $800K. If he can stop forwards getting paid that much or more then that is what he is worth imo and that is probably how he (or his manager) will see it. There is talk of $1.2m x 5 for Harry. What happens if Ben flogs him when they play next? Is Ben worth $1.2m for 5 years?

What is Taz on?

I've been thinking about this and if he does well enough he'd be worth five years at $800K. If he can stop forwards getting paid that much or more then that is what he is worth imo and that is probably how he (or his manager) will see it. There is talk of $1.2m x 5 for Harry. What happens if Ben flogs him when they play next? Is Ben worth $1.2m for 5 years?

What is Taz on?

The amount he'd be getting was nominal. The point is more, he'd be worth well more at the end of a dominant season than he would be at the start of one without playing any footy

He's arguably in the top 3 best young KPDs in the competition, fresh off thoroughly destroying Tex and actually receiving some external recognition. He and his manager should literally sit there and back him in to keep getting better and playing well and watch the 0s keep getting added to the contract
worked well for Ben Brown ;-)

The amount he'd be getting was nominal. The point is more, he'd be worth well more at the end of a dominant season than he would be at the start of one without playing any footy
I agree with that.

If he finishes the year as a dominant backman who shuts down the best forwards in the comp then he could see his value as worth what I said. Obviously our club would have to be a bit more conservative. 2 years at 650K with the chance to earn more. If he holds his form, even one year before a pay rise. After all he started this run of form last season in a shitful situation.

Arguably better than his brother and gets literally no media attention. Im sure list managers at other clubs have him in their planning and will come hard. We need to lock him away long term as he will be our full back for the next decade.

To be fair the media seem to obsess over fwds and always neglect defenders.

Umpires do also as a gun fwd kicks 7 he gets 3 votes, yet if a defender keep a same gun goalless rarely do you see 3 for said defender.

Here's one. Jono Brown was a very good player - but I'd argue Mal Michael equally important to the Lions team and success.

Other than Mcgovern who ae the highest paid key backs in the comp?

I don't think many would be over 700k per year.

May, Moore, Andrews, Weitering, Hurley?
That's weird isn't it. Dominant forwards are worth a fair bit but the people who can stop them aren't? Especially in the comp now as it is - tweaked toward higher scoring games. Even thinking about McKay getting 5x $800k (when I thought about it it seemed way overs) sounds bizarre but his brother would be probably expecting that sort of deal.

That's weird isn't it. Dominant forwards are worth a fair bit but the people who can stop them aren't? Especially in the comp now as it is - tweaked toward higher scoring games. Even thinking about McKay getting 5x $800k (when I thought about it it seemed way overs) sounds bizarre but his brother would be probably expecting that sort of deal.
Defence is an easier skill to master. That's not to say it's easy, but creating the play in any sport is always the tougher art.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ingrained in AFL I think which isn't right.

Other sports rate defenders far higher, can also be the difference between winning and losing. NBA (not sure on others) even have "defensive player of the year" awards.

I'd argue Dale Morris one of the most dependable defenders in modern footy - very, very rarely beaten.

I doubt some young people don't even know who is but I'm sure they'd heard of Barry Hall or Travis Cloke who were far inferior footballers.

Scarcity.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Defence is an easier skill to master. That's not to say it's easy, but creating the play in any sport is always the tougher art.
Damn right.

Hence the reason Carey is the 🐐.

He played in the toughest position on the ground and he was relied upon to create a contest or do something miraculous every time the ball went forward for our side to succeed, whereas Jackovich just had to follow the King wherever he went and put a fist over his shoulder and punch the ball away every so often..

Damn right.

Hence the reason Carey is the 🐐.

He played in the toughest position on the ground and he was relied upon to create a contest or do something miraculous every time the ball went forward for our side to succeed, whereas Jackovich just had to follow the King wherever he went and put a fist over his shoulder and punch the ball away every so often..
Jackovich had it alot easier than McKay will tho. The rules around defensive contact are a lot stricter and that is one of the reasons team zoning defences are so much a part of the game today. No way Duck would have had the shoulder issues he had in todays game cos you can't punch blokes in the shoulder the way Jackovich did anymore.

Jackovich had it alot easier than McKay will tho. The rules around defensive contact are a lot stricter and that is one of the reasons team zoning defences are so much a part of the game today. No way Duck would have had the shoulder issues he had in todays game cos you can't punch blokes in the shoulder the way Jackovich did anymore.
The other side of that discussion though is defenders aren't exposed one on one nearly as much as they used to be.

The other side of that discussion though is defenders aren't exposed one on one nearly as much as they used to be.
I know, but that seems to be McKay's strength. Tas' as well for that matter. Makes sense I guess.

Impresses each week, massive job on arguably the best 1v1 forward who has powerful leads, and bodywork that beats most players in Hawkins.

Takes real balls to take the front spot and go to mark but he managed it on multiple occasions.

We're in good hands in a post-Tarrant world, and our backline is actually looking the most stable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back