Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Impresses each week, massive job on arguably the best 1v1 forward who has powerful leads, and bodywork that beats most players in Hawkins.

Takes real balls to take the front spot and go to mark but he managed it on multiple occasions.

We're in good hands in a post-Tarrant world, and our backline is actually looking the most stable.

Shut. up.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Corey the sooner you accept the good times, the sooner you'll see my posts are like a warm blanket.

Get comfy bro.

I'm sure you're a nice person but I'm concerned you've the devil in you.

I really need you to take your extensive mozzing powers over to the dees board.

Bosenavulagi is not the only young defender receiving plaudits for his contributions against Geelong, as Ben McKay once again impressed in his key defensive role.

After matching up on current Coleman Medal leader Taylor Walker last week, McKay’s challenge this week was to blanket the reigning leading goal-kicker, Tom Hawkins.

Hawkins was limited to just one goal and 13 disposals as McKay made his presence felt in every contest, and Ziebell says 'Buckets' is only going to keep improving.

“His mindset is just unbelievable. His ability to want the number one forward in every team we play and get the job done is incredible,” Ziebell said.

“He’s very task focused and I love playing with him, he’s building that trust in the defensive group and the whole team that when 'Buckets' goes to a forward he’s just going to get the job done.

“Although we’re missing 'Corry' (Aidan Corr), 'Taz' (Robbie Tarrant) and Luke McDonald, there’s some great opportunities for the younger guys to really step up.

“He’s one example of a guy who’s really embracing that role change and opportunity as well.”

Geez we need his signature to a long term deal.

So important for the future.
Certainly seems to have gone up a level. I wasn't sure about him last year but he is doing a fantastic job.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Made Hawkins disappear.

The David Copperfield of AFL Defenders? Seriously though, if he was wearing black and white stripes or black and yellow, they'd be talking about him as an All Australian. Great job on Tex and Dixon as well. Gaining in confidence the way he plays in front of and runs off big name defenders. Can't wait to see Ben vs Harry.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bosenavulagi is not the only young defender receiving plaudits for his contributions against Geelong, as Ben McKay once again impressed in his key defensive role.

After matching up on current Coleman Medal leader Taylor Walker last week, McKay’s challenge this week was to blanket the reigning leading goal-kicker, Tom Hawkins.

Hawkins was limited to just one goal and 13 disposals as McKay made his presence felt in every contest, and Ziebell says 'Buckets' is only going to keep improving.

“His mindset is just unbelievable. His ability to want the number one forward in every team we play and get the job done is incredible,” Ziebell said.

“He’s very task focused and I love playing with him, he’s building that trust in the defensive group and the whole team that when 'Buckets' goes to a forward he’s just going to get the job done.

“Although we’re missing 'Corry' (Aidan Corr), 'Taz' (Robbie Tarrant) and Luke McDonald, there’s some great opportunities for the younger guys to really step up.

“He’s one example of a guy who’s really embracing that role change and opportunity as well.”

it's interesting to see the blokes who can go from one level to the next, and keep their form/input. Not everyone can do it first off, so hats off

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Ben > Harry

What I've been telling my Carlton supporting mate this whole time.

Of course.gif

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's ingrained in AFL I think which isn't right.

Other sports rate defenders far higher, can also be the difference between winning and losing. NBA (not sure on others) even have "defensive player of the year" awards.

I'd argue Dale Morris one of the most dependable defenders in modern footy - very, very rarely beaten.

I doubt some young people don't even know who is but I'm sure they'd heard of Barry Hall or Travis Cloke who were far inferior footballers.
It's not just AFL.

Soccer is the same. Centre or attacking mids go for more than defensive minded. Strikers and wingers more than centre backs.

Basketball is the same. Detroit pistons gave la lakers all sorts of trouble with ben wallace leading the pack. And yet lakers team was prob worth 4x the amount salary wise.

Even if jacobs was still playing he'd be on half of what danger, fyfe, or dusty would be on.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Either Q2 or Q4 with a mark maybe 65m out and cats forward line setting up for the inside 50. Hawkins in the pocket nearest the kicker. McKay holding back position and barking at Lazzaro to fill the hole in front of Hawkins (poor Charlie lol). McKay looked like the D50 is his–‘twas a great sight.
An aside, but lazzaro looked unsure about what to do as if he was way out of position or had instruction to do something else but McKay was breathing fire for him to plug that gap.

depends on the required application - horse? Cow? chicken is nitrogen rich, good for legumes
Its hot tho, can burn the roots of young plants. Mix it with cow poo and compost it for a month or two for best results.

As he was drafted I didn’t see him play, but since he played against Richmond last year and kept Tom lynch to 1 goal I’ve been a massive fan.

He is so smart and just reads the play and the Tarrant hole he has to fill for now he is just going to massively learn and take on new challenges each week. He is a jet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Amazing when you hear those at the club talk about him and how much he wants to take the oppositions best forward. He has come a very long way from the shy kid who almost gave up on pushing for a professional career. I’m getting Glen Archer vibes..

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Amazing when you hear those at the club talk about him and how much he wants to take the oppositions best forward. He has come a very long way from the shy kid who almost gave up on pushing for a professional career. I’m getting Glen Archer vibes..

Yep. shows why its good for those in KP roles to get their body developed somewhat( ie play in the 2's) before they get a regular gig

Back