Player Watch #23 Bernie Vince - Retired - Thanks Bernie

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we use him as a tagger from now on? Seems to be at his best when given a role to shut down a damaging opposition player.

I think we all knew this 2 years ago, when he plays angry and 1 on 1 he seems to rise to the occasion. When he is unaccountable getting uncontested footy he just cruises.

Bernie is taking me on a real emotional rollercoaster this season. I hate him one week then love him the next.

His boyish charm still gets me. But then he goes and spoils it all by doing something stupid like kicking a mongrel punt into a nest of opposition players.

An achievement that is being missed here is that not only did he tag Sloane virtually out of the game, but took out an umpire as well. Interesting approach. Given we won by 41 points its probably something to throw out there as an ongoing strategy.

Still has the ability to play at AFL level, it's whether or not we wanna play him where he needs to play. I'm OK with Trac and others losing midfield minutes and developing other parts of their game if it means Bern does some tagging

Now Wagner is fit and Salem is playing consistently good footy I don't see the need for him down back. I'd even rather Harmes than Vince in defence.

Now Wagner is fit and Salem is playing consistently good footy I don't see the need for him down back. I'd even rather Harmes than Vince in defence.

I'd rather Melk down there....
Vince has actually shown he might be the best tagger in the AFL, I don't know why we don't use him in the role more often now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather Melk down there....
Vince has actually shown he might be the best tagger in the AFL, I don't know why we don't use him in the role more often now
Champion data had Sloan at 11 touches. Bern was directly opposed to him for 61% game time. In that time he got 4 of his 11 touches

Listening to Bernie on 360 tonight sounds like he thinks he's got another couple of years left in him. Hopefully his form picks up again + hopefully Goody plays him in the midfield on Sloane this weekend.

I haven't been able to closely watch the past 6 or 7 matches ... how's Bern been travelling? What role has he been playing?
Still playing half back, was good against West Coast but has been mostly pretty ordinary, decision making and kicking has been well down on where it needs to be- needs to either get back in the midfield or spend time rotating through the HFF, although I think his kicking has lost a bit of penetration + probably can't dob goals from outside 50 anymore

You notice that his kicking really lacks the penertration that he once did. His decision making therefor looks poor because kicks he used to make are no longer possible. He just needs to realise he cant do what he used to. Made some really nice passes late in the game on the weekend when he didnt try and go for too much.

I still have my reservations about carrying him for another year though, a lot will depend on how his finishes out this year, if he can play like he did against Carlton for the majority of the games to come im fine with giving him another one year contract.But in no way shape or form should he be expecting to be a walk up start in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back