Player Watch #23 Bernie Vince - Retired - Thanks Bernie

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Goodwin has killed his career. He won a BNF for us playing in the midfield and then he gets put in defence
He's slow, not very strong and not a good reader of the ball in the air.
He looks poor because he's being played out of position, hopefully when Hibberd and Lewis come back in he moves forward

This ^^^

Too many bodies in midfield, unfortunately. Bern was good in defence against St Kilda anyway. We need that long 'out' option now that Dunn is playing for Collingwood vfl.

Because his late 2016 form was poor and this year he has had one very good game and one very poor one.
One very poor hame because his foot was ****ed.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Had his foot stomped on in the first quarter and had to leave the field repeatedly because his sock kept filling up with blood, then went straight to get surgery and have his toenail removed postmatch. Harder to fault him considering

Had his foot stomped on in the first quarter and had to leave the field repeatedly because his sock kept filling up with blood, then went straight to get surgery and have his toenail removed postmatch. Harder to fault him considering

Apparently the pain from having a toenail removed is shocking. Would be a real chance to miss this week.

Simon Goodwin has killed his career. He won a BNF for us playing in the midfield and then he gets put in defence
He's slow, not very strong and not a good reader of the ball in the air.
He looks poor because he's being played out of position, hopefully when Hibberd and Lewis come back in he moves forward

To be fair, it's well established that coming to Melbourne is career-killing. He did well to stave it off for a season.

How can you blame Goodwin? he's played out of position because he's to slow to compete in the midfield now ffs. He's getting old, happens to everyone

How can you blame Goodwin? he's played out of position because he's to slow to compete in the midfield now ffs. He's getting old, happens to everyone

That makes no sense.
He's never been a quick player, same speed as he was when he won his BNF. Goodwins trying his best to inject kicking into the back half but I just don't think Bernie is the right man

Last edited:
That makes no sense.
Vince is to slow to play midfield, but to talented to leave out of the side. Hence why he plays in defence because he reads the ball well. Was playing behind the footy last year under Roosy.

I love bernie too but theres no way he could follow Dangerfield around like he did in his B&F year again

That makes no sense.
He's never been a quick player, same speed as he was when he won his BNF. Goodwins trying his best to inject kicking into the back half but I just don't think Bernie is the right man
This I kind of agree with, and I'm a Bernie fan. But I think that is exactly why Goodwin keeps sending him there - because there aren't enough guys back there who kick well. Bernie has done okay there in a few games, and had some hilarious turnovers in others, but I think the real issue is that he might be better utilised elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dropped a dumbbell on my toe years ago and the pain from it swelling up was terrible. I drilled a hole in the nail with a drill bit and blood squirted up Like a fountain. Instant relief! But I lost the nail about a week later.

I lost my big toe nail after a lengthy innings in a comeback cricket game wearing spikes too small for me.

#humblebrag

#exceptnothumble

#itwasagreatinnings

#berniewouldbeproud
give us details. Length of innings. Score. Your age at the time. Did you lose 5kgs over the course of the knock?

I dropped a dumbbell on my toe years ago and the pain from it swelling up was terrible. I drilled a hole in the nail with a drill bit and blood squirted up Like a fountain. Instant relief! But I lost the nail about a week later.

...are you Darius Vassell?

Bernie is fine - the only issue I have about him in defence is his attempts to pinpoint the ball coming out of the 50 at impossible targets.

He defends well, is good in the air for his height and is a good kick rebounding.

He's also 31, with our young midfield there is no point playing him there over Stretch, Oliver, Trac, etc

Bernie is fine - the only issue I have about him in defence is his attempts to pinpoint the ball coming out of the 50 at impossible targets.

He defends well, is good in the air for his height and is a good kick rebounding.

He's also 31, with our young midfield there is no point playing him there over Stretch, Oliver, Trac, etc

I don't want him in front of any kids necessarily. But him playing in the midfield helps us win more games that if Brayshaw does for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back