Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Well you see this is what I think.
He plays 1 game for $2.9M.
Let's start there & then work it backwards to the decision to recruit players such as Lewis Taylor & Sam Gray who cant break into a team that could only score 2 goals on a perfectly dry track last night.

Then if you want to put blame on paying a bloke like Sam Reid 600K in amongst all the poor list management, the Buddy bit just sticks out like swollen dogs balls with xmas lights wrapped around them.
But hey, Sam Reid is on 600k. There's our problem right there!:rolleyes:
but he doesn't play 1 game for 2.9mil....

You need to look at this contract as a means to an end. We were competing with the AFL to sign him, and the way it was done was to stretch the length. I think without stretching the length the likelihood is deal doesn't get done. Perhaps we would still be looking at 2012 as our last GF experience? Of course it is too long, but I still think the Tippett contract was a much worse decision.

at the time i was shocked we needed to pay that much for a guy wanting to get to us,that was my initial reaction thats what mikey was referring too ibelieve

agree re tippett

i like the club being a bold as a rule

He'll go 1 more year IMO to try and get to 1000 goals then that will be it. It's been a treat having him in the red and white and yes if only we got either 14 or 16 then that would of topped it off but it has been an overall success. It really would of been pointless bringing him back for the last couple of games, get some more games into the kids is the focus.

Nonsense. Buddy has a $1.5m contract next year followed by a $1m final year swansong - who in their right mind is going to pull up stumps early and kiss goodbye to $1m? The reality is the Swans will pay Buddy $2.5m for the next two years regardless of how often he plays.
By the way - in my opinion, the contract has proven to be well worth the gamble and i hope we get to see a full season from the great man next year.

Nonsense. Buddy has a $1.5m contract next year followed by a $1m final year swansong - who in their right mind is going to pull up stumps early and kiss goodbye to $1m? The reality is the Swans will pay Buddy $2.5m for the next two years regardless of how often he plays.
By the way - in my opinion, the contract has proven to be well worth the gamble and i hope we get to see a full season from the great man next year.
Oh so do I.
He'll only be 34 in the pre season next year so he should be cherry ripe to tackle a full season.

Anyone who thinks the buddy deal has been a waste has rocks in their head. Without him we don’t make it to the gf I’m 14 and 16.

Ps he isn’t done. If were a chance of finals this year , there would be every chance he would play. What’s the point now. At his age, nothing is a given but get into rehab now and give him every chance of being fit next year.

No big deal

Anyone who thinks the buddy deal has been a waste has rocks in their head. Without him we don’t make it to the gf I’m 14 and 16.

Ps he isn’t done. If were a chance of finals this year , there would be every chance he would play. What’s the point now. At his age, nothing is a given but get into rehab now and give him every chance of being fit next year.

No big deal

teach the kids, provide experience , structure, win games, get closer to 1000 goals

he can't train without getting hurt,old man injuries

but he has 2 years, in our cap either way, want him to get the 1000

Last edited:
Missed entire 2020 season and a big slice of 2019. Will be 34 at start of 2021 season. A bigger guy which always makes it harder to acquire and maintain peak condition. But then he is one of the greatest of all time and they do things others can’t. I simply can’t write him off. Rather he is now likely aware of the obstacles his body now creates and will push for a sleeker body mass to cope better. Knowing the champion that he is it probably troubles him that he isn’t contributing whilst on high pay. The club would on the other hand be well aware that the 10 years was always extended beyond his use by date as a means of securing him
and preventing Hawks matching. It was a loss factored in from the start. I just want to see one more 50 metre run around the perimeter and a left foot kick for goal from the 50 arc. Simply sublime

I think any games he plays in 2021 is a bonus he is the last of his draft still playing right?
Lynden Dunn and Eddie Betts are the other 2 from the 2004 draft still playing.

Other longer serving players include David Mundy and Heath Shaw from the 2003 draft, Kade Simpson (2002), Gary Ablett Jnr (2001) and Shaun Burgoyne (2000).

There are many from 2005 still playing (Varcoe, Birchall, Hurn, Jones, Higgins, Ryder, Kennedy, Pendlebury) and it was a massive year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back