Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
We can joke about Lance making the papers for being photographed putting out a rubbish bin, but surely Lance should be fit?
This seems much more than "match fitness from lack of playing?
What injury/injuries must Lance have that he is not fit after 9 months?
It has to be more than "groin"/"hamstring" injuries?

From today's Trade Radio of Charlie Gardiner
Gardiner also provided an update on star forward Lance Franklin who failed to play a game in 2020 due to knee and hamstring injuries.
“At this stage he’s tracking well,” Gardiner said.
“He’s continued to train through his break and he’s working really hard, he’s as keen as ever to get back after what was a really disappointing 2020.
He’s got a long way to go in terms of getting himself fit, resilient and durable given how much footy he’s missed, but he’s right up for the challenge.
“He’ll be a big part of what we do next year.”

We can joke about Lance making the papers for being photographed putting out a rubbish bin, but surely Lance should be fit?

Gardiner also provided an update on star forward Lance Franklin who failed to play a game in 2020 due to knee and hamstring injuries.
“He’s continued to train through his break and he’s working really hard, he’s as keen as ever to get back after what was a really disappointing 2020.
He’s got a long way to go in terms of getting himself fit, resilient and durable given how much footy he’s missed, but he’s right up for the challenge.

The issue is after each injury your muscles become weaker.

I know several fencers who have been cut down from their prime due to reoccuring groin injuries and it's nowhere near as full on as AFL.

I had a lot of reoccuring hamstring issues and it took me two years to slowly get back to a state of fitness where I didn't have to worry about them.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

He’s 33/34 and missed a lot of football in the last few years. He’s played a lot of football (300 games puts him in the top 80 games of all time) and the body has worn down from a long career. I don’t think the injuries are anything more sinister than soft tissue. Problem is he’s in a football sense at the end of his career. The last two years will be tough on a body that may not be able to handle the rigours of such a long season.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

I know several fencers who have been cut down from their prime due to reoccuring groin injuries and it's nowhere near as full on as AFL.

I had a lot of reoccuring hamstring issues and it took me two years to slowly get back to a state of fitness where I didn't have to worry about them.
You need a post digger. That will help

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
He’s 33/34 and missed a lot of football in the last few years. He’s played a lot of football (300 games puts him in the top 80 games of all time) and the body has worn down from a long career. I don’t think the injuries are anything more sinister than soft tissue. Problem is he’s in a football sense at the end of his career. The last two years will be tough on a body that may not be able to handle the rigours of such a long season.
I still love it when he runs out and struts his stuff. A true legend in every sense. Many great memories and I reckon this legend will give me more next year.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Wait i thought muscles strengthen after healing? or am i thinking of something else surprised to hear about Fencers and groin injuries.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Wait i thought muscles strengthen after healing? or am i thinking of something else surprised to hear about Fencers and groin injuries.
I could be wrong, but the tears that come from injury causes scar tissue to be formed, which is stronger but not a flexible as normal tissue. Scar tissue then is slowly conditioned to allow normal movement. Not all the scar tissue goes away without extended rests (sometimes up to 3 months, or 12 weeks), and some can even take longer, but usually it's within 3 months. If you continue to reinjure it builds up more scar tissue and takes longer to heal.

That's why taking a long time after a hammie can help you "get it right", but it's also my footballers have reoccurring injuries, they just don't let themselves heal to 100%. No one in the AFL plays at 100%, and no one ever will. That's more an issue with the limited time athletes have to make money rather than the AFL as a whole.

That's my limited knowledge, hopefully it answers the question, though I've probably missed the point.

Kapers nailed it on the end.

Scar tissue is tougher muscle and not as flexible, because of that it can be injured more easily.

If you strengthen the muscles and make them flexible you can remove easily reoccuring injuri s, but that's a lot easier said than done.

Back