Player Watch - #23 Buddy Franklin - All-Australian captain, equalled the record for AA selections with 8! | Page 63 | BigFooty

Player Watch #23 Buddy Franklin - All-Australian captain, equalled the record for AA selections with 8!

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by RW, Mar 23, 2014.

?

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2022 at 6:53 PM.
  1. End of 2018

3.7%
  2. End of 2019

2.5%
  3. End of 2020

13.6%
  4. End of 2021

21.0%
  5. End of 2022

33.3%
  6. Beyond 2022 (another contract)

25.9%
  1. bungee

bungee El Zorro

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    I follow no other, only Swans
    He's getting on and I think we'll have to expect more injuries through the years as he plays out such a long contract.

The more that surgery can be avoided the better but it takes time. This decision indicates simply that the club docs know they are out of time for round 1 (or thereabouts).

I can't question their initial decision to try to avoid surgery, notwithstanding that he'd just had a knee op. Surgery always risks doing more harm since a surgeon must normally cut through healthy flesh, as well as the considerable risk of infection.

Operating on a groin or other area where there is movement and weight bearing is far more complex than the type of superficial surgery that's normally considered elective. This is not a nose job.

And yes, I agree his partner probably needed to stop testing it.

Kirkswan likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Big Blood

Big Blood All Australian

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sturt
    Careful or you'll be slashing your wrists. The sky is always falling on this barnyard of Chicken Littles. If Buddy makes the preseason the club is rushing him back. If he doesn't they're not managing him right. If he kicks a bag he's being over-used, if he's doughnuts he's being wasted. If we lose by a goal we need a new coach. Lose by five goals we need a new coach last week. If we trade for points to capture a gun like Blakey, it's a wasted draft.

Kirkswan, bungee, Tedeski and 5 others like this.
  3. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    Oh is that still a thing?

4. caesar88

caesar88 Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    I for one am shocked that a bloke whose about to turn 32 won’t have a full pre-season. SHOCKED!!

Ticky009, bungee and Jewelsbon like this.
  5. RobbieK

RobbieK Club Legend

Sydney
    Yes, I suspect the approach was probably to see if things would improve enough without surgery as long as possible up to a deadline that would allow him to undergo the surgery if it was needed and still have him ready for the season. As I said, we are still over four months from round one and he isn't even due to start pre-season training yet, there is time for hi to recover and still every reason to believe he will be lining up when the season starts.

I think we all know that to have him see out this long contract requires careful management of his body. The guy plays an incredibly demanding role, he puts his body through the ringer and has been playing through injuries that no doubt would have seen a lesser player out of the team. I'm sure the club's medical staff have the long term in mind when it comes to decisions about his rest and recovery, his training loads, the decision to have surgery or not to address injuries, etc. If they can spare his body unnecessary additional trauma I'm sure they will try to do that.

The last season was clearly a difficult one for him and he had to play through a few different problems. He still averaged 3 goals a game, the second best average in the league. With his knee surgery already done and the groin being handled now, we should see him start the 2019 season in better shape than he was in last year. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Kirkswan, Jewelsbon and SwansProudly like this.
  6. Jewelsbon

Jewelsbon Club Legend

Sydney
    Yep, big footy in a nutshell!

7. Number37

Number37 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Gold. :thumbsu:

Kirkswan, CD__, Ticky009 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    For those occupying the pages of Voltaire's Candide, all is right, 'this is the best of all possible worlds'. C'mon 37, not everything comes up roses.

Either the medicos hoped the groin would come good or they did not want to risk two significant surgeries on the same day or within a short space of time.

connolly and sthmelb_dimmies like this.
  9. Number37

Sydney
    That's already been cleared up. They stated that it was their opinion that the best course of action was rest.
    Attributing some sinister motive/incompetence to a perfectly valid prognosis from people qualified to provide that prognosis and substituting your own personal opinion from 200k's away without seeing the patient is the height of foolishness.

Kirkswan, TheMase and Jewelsbon like this.
  10. Bloodied52

Sydney

11. Tedeski

Tedeski Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Well said!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Bloodied52

Sydney
    Read the second para 37. Live nearly 1000 clicks away. Have had enough surgery to know the preference to have a decent gap between surgery events, depending on age and health. In all probability two different surgeons were involved as well.

It was clear Buddy was severely limited by the groin at the end of the year.

13. RUNVS

RUNVS Hall of Famer

Sydney
    It was pretty clear Buddy was limited by his ankle for most of 2018 as well.

Bloodied52 likes this.
  14. Bloodied52

Sydney
    Spot on runvs. From the Weasels game in Round 1.

RUNVS likes this.
  15. Number37

Sydney

Seems to me your angst is no more than another example of chicken little'ing.
    Buddy is injured, should have surgery, the club is incompetent, the sky is falling in.

Is it possible that they thought rest would heal his groin issue? Yes.
    Did it go to plan? No.

Is it part of a whole series of events that point to the sky falling in? Hells no.

Tedeski likes this.
  16. Bloodied52

Sydney
    I give up 37.

connolly likes this.
  17. Bloodied52

Sydney
    37 and Tedeski - have you played competitive sport at any level and played through injury?

18. Number37

Sydney
    Sounds like odd criteria to judge the merits of the decision of the medical staff of a football club.

If that is in fact the criteria to have a discussion on this forum then I will give it a miss.

19. Tedeski

Sydney
    Yes.

20. Tedeski

Sydney
    Table Tennis with my brother not long after we punched the shit out of each other.

Kirkswan, bungee, The King! and 4 others like this.
  21. sthmelb_dimmies

sthmelb_dimmies Club Legend

Sydney
    For me it was table tennis not long BEFORE we punched the shit out of each other.

“Let”
    “Was not”
    “******* let”
    “**** you”

Kirkswan, bungee, Ticky009 and 4 others like this.
  22. Superstar swan

Superstar swan Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Is bud any chance for round 1??

23. Ticky009

Ticky009 Premium Gold

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Rebel Alliance
    Who knew Table tennis was a contact sport hey?

I swear, blokes could turn watching cloud shapes into a bruising encounter.

24. CD__

CD__ Formerly 1990Swan.

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars
    Maybe he wanted to enjoy his off-season holiday before he had the surgery? Wouldn’t have been much fun exploring Iceland on crutches.

Kirkswan likes this.
  25. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    I just hope we can utilise him more effectively over the next few season, ideally he will have the odd game off here and there, if you can get 17-18 games a year from him and have him fit for finals that would be great

Punts and connolly like this.