Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously?

In 2013, the year before he joined, we had 36,358 members. We now have 58,838.

Buddy doesn't just bring people to the ground. He just won the Coleman medal, his second while with us. Since he has joined us we have made two grand finals, our worst placing was to get to the semi finals.

Would I like to be able to say we had won one, if not two, premierships while he was here? Of course! But do you really think that the fact we haven't means that Buddy has been a massive failure?

I haven't been posting around here much recently, and part of that is because it feels like most people are just totally unrealistic about what the expectations should be for the club. With the exception of Hawthorn, over recent years no other club has been as consistently successful as us. We make the semi finals and everyone wants to gut the squad and sack the coach. I'm not saying we shouldn't want to do even better or that changes don't need to be made if we are going to get another premiership, but a lot of the reactions around here have been pretty hysterical.
Memberships are being padded by every club these days.

Crowd figures have nothing to do with membership!
Crowds not improving would suggest those extra memberships are either three game or non game membership. Or do you expect me to believe buddy puts bums on.. Couches?

Crowds have a lot to do with it, don't be obtuse.

Point me to the financial evidence that buddy has had a positive impact.

Crowd figures. Membership revenue hasn't significantly improved either. Our revenue has been relatively stable since 2013.

I am lazy, can you provide our total revenue figures each year since 2013?

And don't give me profit figures , they are useless as we should be spending every cent we earn on the football team to be the best it can be so it should be zero each year.

If only we had a computer or stat machine to give us a definite answer as to if his value has been more/less than his cost.

We have the $$ figures though. Based on absolutely nothing more, I would conclude he has already paid for his contract. Look at our membership numbers all the while our major rival (GWS) is also on the rise.

I do hope you are being sarcastic otherwise I'd love to hear your reasoning as to how exactly he has been a failure.
Buddy has done more than the entire gws budget of $30m a year for $1m a year

I am lazy, can you provide our total revenue figures each year since 2013?

And don't give me profit figures , they are useless as we should be spending every cent we earn on the football team to be the best it can be so it should be zero each year.
Agreed profit is misleading. When I'm on my laptop I'll post them, but I was looking at them yesterday when grimlock linked them and they're very stable.

God forbid the average Joe who can't afford a membership goes to the footy and boosts crowd numbers!

Crowds not improving would suggest those extra memberships are either three game or non game membership. Or do you expect me to believe buddy puts bums on.. Couches?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/7df863e10df2dbbcf3f24559ab9c5c60

Majority of AFL money comes from TV rights.

6 out of the top 10 most watched games on 7 and Fox have been Swans games.

You don't necessarily need crowd figures to show a financial impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was bored, total revenue from the Swans annual reports:
  • $49,073,185 in 2016
  • $42,687,119 in 2013
Interestingly in 2016 we now earn the most of any of the 18 clubs from sponsorship, which could be put down to the Buddy effect as well.

With our improved Thursday/Friday exposure this year, you would expect to see improvements again for 2017. Once again exposure on these nights comes down to having one of the games superstars playing for you.

What is hard to work out is the club revenue growth excluding things like pokies revenue and AFL payments and then compare that back to our figures over the time Buddy has been with us.

If I was having a guess we would be top 3 at least for revenue growth over that period.

I was bored, total revenue from the Swans annual reports:
  • $49,073,185 in 2016
  • $42,687,119 in 2013
Interestingly in 2016 we now earn the most of any of the 18 clubs from sponsorship, which could be put down to the Buddy effect as well.

With our improved Thursday/Friday exposure this year, you would expect to see improvements again for 2017. Once again exposure on these nights comes down to having one of the games superstars playing for you.

What is hard to work out is the club revenue growth excluding things like pokies revenue and AFL payments and then compare that back to our figures over the time Buddy has been with us.

If I was having a guess we would be top 3 at least for revenue growth over that period.

Could it? Do you have quotes from sponsors saying they signed up because of Buddy?

It's fun twisting facts to suit your argument, hey?

Exposure on those nights has come down to the game giving more Friday night games to a broader range of clubs and not keeping it the Carlton show. We started getting Friday night games before Buddy.

So if you guess you get an outcome that suits that argument. Convenient.

Awesome, and how much money did we get for those? How many of the most watched games were Swans games prior to Buddy arriving?
Awesome...how about you tell us and we'll debate whether you're right or not?

God forbid the average Joe who can't afford a membership goes to the footy and boosts crowd numbers!

As opposed to the blokes buying memberships and shoving them down the back of the couch? :drunk:

Just looking at the 2016 figures we earn more annually from sponsorship than from game day takings, so while it's an important marker at least half the argument comes from increased sponsorship which now sees the club placed number 1 in the AFL in the levels it generates. Which is higher annualy than Collingwood.

Wait. You're yet to come up with any form of evidence to suggest you claim of Franklin being a failure is anything but tripe, or a you counting 'we haven't won a flag' as conclusive evidence.

On the field it is, along with his complete failure to deliver in any significant Finals.

Off the field, apart from a very difficult to grasp link between sponsors and Buddy there's no notable financial impact.

Remind me when the ground was expanded?

Just about the biggest jump there is from 12-13, I guess we should be thanking Tippett hey? Or maybe that flag we won in 2012..
The ground has barely increased in capacity and with crowd figures averaging 30-33k and a capacity of 40k+, trying to suggest that the figure is because of reno's is clutching at straws much more than any of the arguments put forward to refute your ridiculous statement.

..... Right.

What do you use as a rating then?

Can you give me an example of a "success"?

Nope, because there hasn't been one. Other than kicking goals against crap teams I suppose.

The ground has barely increased in capacity and with crowd figures averaging 30-33k and a capacity of 40k+, trying to suggest that the figure is because of reno's is clutching at straws much more than any of the arguments put forward to refute your ridiculous statement.

I actually offered another possibility in that post you quoted...

Back