Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

I’d agree, except that he hasn’t performed in a GF.

It’ll always be a case of “what if Buddy had cut loose?” in one of those games.
2014. Kicked 4 from memory in a side that got beat by 10 goals in GF.

2016. Tore Ligaments in ankle first 5 minutes of the game.

2022 North of 35 years of age where he saw little opportunity in a Team he was a part of that s**t bed on the day.

Take Franklin out of any of those teams in them 3 yrs and quiet simply we are not featuring.

The End.

So I'm not sure what you're expecting. Feels like another needless swipe at Buddy. Anything can happen on GF day. He got us there.

Needless swipe ? I just said it was unders.

Bit odd coming from someone who's been more critical of Buddy than anyone here

Needless swipe ? I just said it was unders.

Bit odd coming from someone who's been more critical of Buddy than anyone here

I was critical of the deal as an initial proposition and the impact it had on our list, I wanted two flags out of the 9 years, but making 3 GFs is pretty much the same thing - not his fault on the day. To get the 1,000 goals memory as well and for him to be able to play beyond the deal both pretty big pluses for the 9 year deal in the end.

You've posted in this thread whinging about not winning any flags with him, so it's clearly a criticism of him.

I was critical of the deal as an initial proposition and the impact it had on our list, I wanted two flags out of the 9 years, but making 3 GFs is pretty much the same thing - not his fault on the day. To get the 1,000 goals memory as well and for him to be able to play beyond the deal both pretty big pluses for the 9 year deal in the end.

You've posted in this thread whinging about not winning any flags with him, so it's clearly a criticism of him.

I said no flag was unders hardly whinging compared to things such as calling it a complete failure..I mean I could dig up all the whinging you have done in here but won't embarrass you too much in one day 🤣

Buddy has been a massive failure. Not sure anyone could argue otherwise.

On the field it is, along with his complete failure to deliver in any significant Finals.

Off the field, apart from a very difficult to grasp link between sponsors and Buddy there's no notable financial impact.

Nope, because there hasn't been one. Other than kicking goals against crap teams I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said no flag was unders hardly whinging compared to things such as calling it a complete failure..I mean I could dig up all the whinging you have done in here but won't embarrass you too much in one day 🤣

Posts from 7 years ago, real insightful. Stop embarrassing yourself.

0 flags is unders really for the Buddy swans era.

I know he has been great etc etc

But when we signed him if you said he plays 10 seasons and we get 0 flags you wouldn't believe it probably

3 grand finals though. 2014 he was our BOG. 2016 he was injured early and rubbish. 2022 no forward was going to get a touch that day.

We rode his greatness to the last day many times and the midfield got worked over every GF.

So I'm not sure what you're expecting. Feels like another needless swipe at Buddy. Anything can happen on GF day. He got us there.
I’m kinda with The King!, in that I think Buddy joined a very strong team - he made a strong contribution, but I don’t think it’s correct to say “he got us there” (to GFs).
He was a strong part of a strong team.

The only players I’ve seen who I think “got us there” were Paul Kelly and Plugger in ‘96.

I’m kinda with The King!, in that I think Buddy joined a very strong team - he made a strong contribution, but I don’t think it’s correct to say “he got us there” (to GFs).
He was a strong part of a strong team.

The only players I’ve seen who I think “got us there” were Paul Kelly and Plugger in ‘96.

Buddy won 2 Colemans with us and has kicked (to date) 477 goals with us, how on Earth can you say he didn't play a huge role in getting us to GFs?

Buddy won 2 Colemans with us and has kicked (to date) 477 goals with us, how on Earth can you say he didn't play a huge role in getting us to GFs?
I knew I shouldn’t have engaged in this debate - as there’s no absolutes and it can get emotive!

Buddy is a champion of the game. No question.

And he played a significant role in getting the team to grand finals. I’m not arguing that.

My point is more that he was part of very strong teams - i don’t think we’d have made GFs if Buddy was part of a so-so team.

Conversely, in ‘96, the team was predominantly solid B-graders, a very young Micky O & an ageing Paul Roos …. plus two absolute champions in Kelly and Lockett.

I knew I shouldn’t have engaged in this debate - as there’s no absolutes and it can get emotive!

Buddy is a champion of the game. No question.

And he played a significant role in getting the team to grand finals. I’m not arguing that.

My point is more that he was part of very strong teams - i don’t think we’d have made GFs if Buddy was part of a so-so team.

Conversely, in ‘96, the team was predominantly solid B-graders & an ageing Paul Roos …. plus two absolute champions in Kelly and Lockett.

Then I think we're agreeing..!

I'm of course not suggesting he got us there single-handed, but he was a significant factor.

Back