Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

He has 2 years of reasonable footy left in him maximum.
His body won't last.
Hasnt showed any signs of a decline so i have to politely disagree....it may well be the case but i just cant see him dropping off a cliff.

History says he should, but athletes like buddy (like lebron) you cannot go off the history of "normal" players

He has 2 years of reasonable footy left in him maximum.
His body won't last.

It sounds kind of bizarre but I think what his body needs for the long-term is rests during a season and I'd like to see them start in 2018. This is a guy whose played at least 17 games every year for the past ten years. That is freakishly consistent and enduring stuff from a bloke of his size. If he keeps that up he'll get one injury and then I think he'll hit a wall very quickly. I think Horse is going to have to seriously rest him when he's injured from now on. **** bravery and the team thing he's one of the all time greats and we need him for 70-100 more games, not every game of every year.

It's interesting that we all hold buddy in such a high regard, that his 8 goal game doesn't even get it's own thread.

As if this is something that is par for the course for him.

Of course he kicked 8, he's buddy.

But seriously, what a ******* great effort.

Bravo.

His 10 goal game to secure the coleman in the final round also didn't get its own thread iirc,

FREAK.

Buddy only needs 40 goals in 2018 to get to 900 goals, but I hope when he gets to 1000 goals he kicks it at the SCG.

what a legend

I never thought I'd see another player kick 1,000 goals given the changes in the game

what a legend

I never thought I'd see another player kick 1,000 goals given the changes in the game
The only other current players who have even a chance of getting there are Jeremy Cameron (currently 2.51 goals per game) and Jesse Hogan (2.1). Franklin averages 3.19

To put it in perspective, the next most likely is Joe Daniher and he would need to average 4 goals per game for 207 games (making a career total of 300 games) to get to 1000

The only other current players who have even a chance of getting there are Jeremy Cameron (currently 2.51 goals per game) and Jesse Hogan (2.1). Franklin averages 3.19

To put it in perspective, the next most likely is Joe Daniher and he would need to average 4 goals per game for 207 games (making a career total of 300 games) to get to 1000
Just wow. Put like that, it blows my mind. The guy is an out & out legend of the game. He'll go down as one of the greats. We're so lucky he'll likely play the majority of his career in the red & white.

Since my fun facts have been pretty sparse recently (off-season and all):

Franklin has already kicked more behinds than Tony Lockett, who has 500 more career goals than Franklin. In fact if Franklin plays another 70 games (he is contracted for another 5 years) he will break the all-time record for behinds.

So you can all imagine just how many goals he would have kicked with higher accuracy.

Franklin has already kicked more behinds than Tony Lockett, who has 500 more career goals than Franklin. In fact if Franklin plays another 70 games (he is contracted for another 5 years) he will break the all-time record for behinds.

So you can all imagine just how many goals he would have kicked with higher accuracy.

Has Franklin kicked more behinds than any player in the history of the game?

Has Franklin kicked more behinds than any player in the history of the game?
The post you've quoted says if he keeps going at the same rate he will reach that mark in another 70 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've hired Plugger as his personal mentor early in his career or whoever in the industry is a good kicking coachm

I'm torn. I'd love his 1000th to be at the SCG with all the Swans fans.

But the evil side of me would really like to see him kick it at the MCG vs the Hawks. Just watching all the Hawthorn supporters squirming in their seat as they deal with the moral dilemma of running out onto the field to celebrate a Swans player who left their own club would be so so sweet

I'm torn. I'd love his 1000th to be at the SCG with all the Swans fans.

But the evil side of me would really like to see him kick it at the MCG vs the Hawks. Just watching all the Hawthorn supporters squirming in their seat as they deal with the moral dilemma of running out onto the field to celebrate a Swans player who left their own club would be so so sweet

That's a best case scenario. But what will really happen is The Hawks will just coopt the event and make it all about them.

Better to have it at the scg vs the hapless hawks in a 100 pt drubbing. My kids can run out like I did for Plugger.

That's a best case scenario. But what will really happen is The Hawks will just coopt the event and make it all about them.

Better to have it at the scg vs the hapless hawks in a 100 pt drubbing. My kids can run out like I did for Plugger.

and a future Swans captain could run out there too (as I think I recall McVeigh mentioning he was one of the ones that ran onto the field, but he was just a kid at the time).

Just wondering Longmire comment after the loss to Geelong mentioned in his press conference you all dont know the injuries that Franklin plays through.

Do we manage him from 2018 onwards? play him 15-16 games and finals (if we make it) or just play him every week?

Playing him against Geelong was sad he couldnt put a stride together so if Franklin himself made that call to play or someone else it was clearly a mistake.

So do i. I cant wait to see 50,000 swans fans run onto the SCG. Its been too long since we have seen that.

A meet the miggs competition would get the same result.

Whats amazing about buddy as a player is that he just has more shots than anyone else i can think of. He just has more oppurtunities than anyone else so his accuracy isnt the limiting factor it was for a cloke for example.

And all those shots, its partly through being a freak and getting the ball a lot and having great instincts, but its also about this inhuman confidence to take on the goals at any given oppurtunity, which is why he has so many behinds, but also why he has so many goals that leave everyone just shaking thier heads that buddy just did it. Again.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back