Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Also this won't be until next year but Buddy is currently on 936 goals, meaning he will likely kick 1000 goals in 2020, me figuring he will probably be on about 960 or 965 at the end of this year.

What ground and against who would you like to see Buddy kick his 1000th goal, and when he does, should the fans run out onto the ground like they did when Tony Lockett kicked his 1300th goal?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Also this won't be until next year but Buddy is currently on 936 goals, meaning he will likely kick 1000 goals in 2020, me figuring he will probably be on about 960 or 965 at the end of this year.

What ground and against who would you like to see Buddy kick his 1000th goal, and when he does, should the fans run out onto the ground like they did when Tony Lockett kicked his 1300th goal?

Times have changed drastically its a very risky thing to do in this day of age.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Times have changed drastically its a very risky thing to do in this day of age.
I'll never forget running onto the SCG for Plugger's 1300th. Even though hundreds of people were already on the field, a security guard tried to stop me as I climbed the fence. I was puzzled and just yelled something along the lines of "Dont be stupid; he just broke the all time record" and brushed straight past him. What a clown.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll never forget running onto the SCG for Plugger's 1300th. Even though hundreds of people were already on the field, a security guard tried to stop me as I climbed the fence. I was puzzled and just yelled something along the lines of "Dont be stupid; he just broke the all time record" and brushed straight past him. What a clown.

Great stuff mate :thumbsu:

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I think I read an article years ago where McVeigh stated he ran onto the field too after Plugger's 1300th, him being a kid at the time.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Reports of Buddy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Now that he is finally match fit he looks way way better.
Still looks a bit unfit to me but obviously improving. And as I've said before... He's good enough to play at 80%

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think I read an article years ago where McVeigh stated he ran onto the field too after Plugger's 1300th, him being a kid at the time.

Rampe did too.

Still looks a bit unfit to me but obviously improving. And as I've said before... He's good enough to play at 80%

He also benefited from some god awful WCE defending. McGovern just allowed him to run off and get the ball a few times and Will Schofield - who I actually think is quite underrated as a pure defender - is no match for Bud one on one.

Longmire said in his press conference that he's increasing his training load now so here's hoping it's a sign of things to come.

Next to decimate those ******* Hawks.

Whilst i dont think buddy is back to 100% fitness..he definately had a bit of pace back and was covering 55m with his kicks pretty easily..very encouraging performance
The delivery and actually structuring the fwd line was this biggest difference imo.

Some kudos to Stevie J. for the forward setup.
I remember an interview with Menzel when he first came to Sydney saying he could understand Stevie J.
Perhaps Menzel is contributing as an interpreter?

I will never not be impressed by Buddy.

I still can't believe his 10 goal game against the Bye (Carlton) didn't even get his thread bumped.

Legend of the game.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Even though he has been injured this year and his performances down..we still knew he was capable of performances like we just saw. Seriously does not get enough credit...nearly 400 goals over the next best in the game..only when he is gone will people realis the greatness we witnessed

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Rampe did too.

He also benefited from some god awful WCE defending. McGovern just allowed him to run off and get the ball a few times and Will Schofield - who I actually think is quite underrated as a pure defender - is no match for Bud one on one.

Longmire said in his press conference that he's increasing his training load now so here's hoping it's a sign of things to come.

Next to decimate those ******* Hawks.
Will schofield is better on a bloke same size or smaller. Hes got pace and with his height can get that fist in

Against someone like bud he tries to do his trick of leaving a few metres and using closing speed to make up the distance but bud has got the pace and reach to defeat this - worked well on degoey - bud will just lick his lips if the delivery is right

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Even though he has been injured this year and his performances down..we still knew he was capable of performances like we just saw. Seriously does not get enough credit...nearly 400 goals over the next best in the game..only when he is gone will people realis the greatness we witnessed
I'm pretty sure there aren't many people that don't realise his greatness already. Even Hawks fans who were extremely disappointed he left cant allow themselves to understate his greatness.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Our next 4 games are Gold Coast at home, Essendon at MCG, Carlton at SCG, Freo at Optus and then Geelong at SCG.

I suspect it's likely the club won't want to play him after just three games out given this is his 2nd hamstring injury of the year. Then given what happened last year with Bud on the Optus playing surface, I imagine they'll not want him to go over there either. So I reckon he'll be aiming for Geelong on a Sunday afternoon at the SCG with a packed crowd for his 300th.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really concerned..he obviously has a hamstring issue atm that he needs to work through. I know people jump to the conclusion that its due to age ( and it very well might be) but dont rule out it being a result of the groin issue. If budd was playing through a groin injury, its just as likely that it changed his gate/ made his hammy carry more of the load because it was compensating for the groin.

The big fella looks in terrific nick atm, hel be right

Back