Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow he's really being worked extremely hard.

Bit unfair. Played all last season with a foot injury that required a procedure post season. Picked up his groin problem late in the year and played the debacle Final jabbed up with the mobility of an Egyptian Mummy. Groin surgery delayed until January.

It is possible his lack of fitness contributed to his hammy problems.

Give him time to rehab, send him to Germany if need be and give him an early holiday. Two physios I know reckon he has years left in him because of his extraordinary physiology.

He still has the fast twitch and ability to run like a sprinter. They reckon at his age his body would be desparate for a solid fitness base to enable a heavy physical load. One says he might benefit from stripping back a few kgs.

I think Goodesy trimmed in his last couple of seasons. This helped his longevity.

Sydney Swans star forward Lance Franklin is expected to be able to return to football towards the end of the season despite a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury.
Franklin suffered a hamstring strain in Round 14 and has had complications in his recovery.
Head Physiotherapist Matt Cameron is optimistic that Franklin will return to play this season.
“Lance had a medium hamstring strain four weeks ago and it was a really similar size one to the injury he had earlier in the year and to the same part of the muscle,” Cameron said.
“The muscle from testing has slowly improved over that time and looks to have virtually fully healed.
“Over the last couple of weeks, he has developed some complications with his sciatic nerve that runs from your back through your pelvis and into your hamstring

Sydney Swans star forward Lance Franklin is expected to be able to return to football towards the end of the season despite a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury.
Franklin suffered a hamstring strain in Round 14 and has had complications in his recovery.
Head Physiotherapist Matt Cameron is optimistic that Franklin will return to play this season.
“Lance had a medium hamstring strain four weeks ago and it was a really similar size one to the injury he had earlier in the year and to the same part of the muscle,” Cameron said.
“The muscle from testing has slowly improved over that time and looks to have virtually fully healed.
“Over the last couple of weeks, he has developed some complications with his sciatic nerve that runs from your back through your pelvis and into your hamstring

"Towards the end of the season" ???

We're already there FFS.

This should be Buddy until he re-appears at B&F night:

DVZoQ.png

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Clearly the correct call is to end his season now imo. Give him time off to heal and rehab without the pressure of trying to play again this year. Take an early and extended holiday so he is ready day 1 of preseason.

Arguably the most important preseason of his career because he now needs the fitness base to support his game style. I don't think he can get away with minimal training anymore.

300th game next year would be a good start to the year.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The correct call was to stop pushing it a few weeks back

Club have run buddy into the ground

Idiots in the medical department

We need a club wide review
Would love to have Nathan Gibbs and Dave Misson back at the swans

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Had heard he was there earlier this year, now back at Melbourne. So back it seems. Good luck to him, a great fella.

Superstar*.

If Bud has anywhere near a full pre-season, he could make that statement look very silly next year.

Has not played fit since obliterating the Weasels in Round 1 last year. We are steadily crocking him as we did others before him.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He was finally looking in form pre injury
But I guess there has to massive questions on his ability to get out there going forward if sydney keep pushing him for meaninglessness football
I have zero concerns over his long term fitness.. he played too long with an injurer groin and that would have put the stress on the hammies. Get the work done now and he will be right next year

I have zero concerns over his long term fitness.. he played too long with an injurer groin and that would have put the stress on the hammies. Get the work done now and he will be right next year

Agree. I think our injury mgr and rehab history in his recent years is less than optimal. Soft tissue injury rehab is not great, let alone ACLs.

It would be meltworthy if surgery is delayed until the off season. Horse at least mumbled hints this week that Haywood may need surgery on his hip. If he does get it done now.

2 years since he trained properly and is 33 next year

Massive concerns

Getting old man injuries

He'll be 33 in Jan 2020.
I'm not sure what people are expecting our medical staff to do.
Wayne Carey was done at 33. Lost all his mobility.
Stop jabbing him up. Organise ops from good surgeons promptly.

Back