Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagine if we didn’t have the off field success over the last few years. The club is already struggling during isolation but if it had 20,000 less members the club would be lucky to survive this period. To say the off field success is overblown is to ignore how much trouble we would be in.

Depends how much is buddy alone

All I meant was buddy’s salary is actually more Than the membership revenue between him being here and not

If we didn’t have buddy and signed alternative players financially might be the same

I think sometimes everyone goes ohh buddy made Sydney millions ,

I'm with you there, and it's not dragging Buddy. He's given every ounce of himself and then some to this club and earned every cent of the contract. Doesn't make the contract right though.

You only got Franklin because of the length and amount of the contract. Hawthorn would have matched a shorter term contract (they put together a lucrative contract that would have made him the highest paid player at Hawthorn but not as long as the swans contract) and that would have meant the swans would have been required to trade. Given Franklin was the best player in the competition at the time (or near enough) and a KPF to boot, the trade would been a minimum of 2 top 10 picks and probably a player. Pretty close to what Dodoro was asking for Daniher last trade period, although Franklin was at another level.

That was a cost the swans did not want to pay, so hence the long-term contract. Franklin's contract was always going to cost at this stage, somethng the swans were willing to accept at the time; despite an AFL warning that his contract would count in the salary cap for the full 9 years.

You only got Franklin because of the length and amount of the contract. Hawthorn would have matched a shorter term contract (they put together a lucrative contract that would have made him the highest paid player at Hawthorn but not as long as the swans contract) and that would have meant the swans would have been required to trade. Given Franklin was the best player in the competition at the time (or near enough) and a KPF to boot, the trade would been a minimum of 2 top 10 picks and probably a player. Pretty close to what Dodoro was asking for Daniher last trade period, although Franklin was at another level.

That was a cost the swans did not want to pay, so hence the long-term contract. Franklin's contract was always going to cost at this stage, somethng the swans were willing to accept at the time; despite an AFL warning that his contract would count in the salary cap for the full 9 years.

Maybe we shouldn't have been willing to accept.

As a Hawks fan all I can say is that its always hard to remember games or seasons in detail but as supporters we remember moments and Bud is the best at giving moments that stay with you forever. For us it was things like the goals on Hooker, the goal that sunk Adelaide in the 2007 finals, kicking 13 in a wet Tassie, or kicking the 65m goal in the 2012 GF to drag us back into the game and I could go on and on. You guys may not have had as many moments, but you got a lot and they will be with you for long after he is gone.

Did you overpay? I don't think so as he brought relevance in a market that doesn't really rate AFL , sold alot of memberships and merchandise and delivered on the field many many times (a bit like Lockett did and Tippet didn't). Just think how much the trade will be worth if he produces a little Buddy or 2 that plays for you.

We had/have many great players including more recently Hodgey, Mitch, Cyril, Burgoyne, Roughie etc but its safe to say we miss Bud the most and I suspect you may be saying this when he is finally done. Enjoy the moments while you still can.

Yeah I mean if the cap is cut, then everyone will be prorated down, and it should wash out. I'm not sure that's going to make much difference.

Yes but when the player taking up the biggest portion of your cap is not even able to contribute, that puts us in a potentially perilous position with regards to other Swans.

Massively disappointing news, but I'm holding out hope it's only minor.

I really don't understand people saying the contract we gave him was a failure. Was a massive win and we really should have two premierships in the bag; the fact that we don't has absolutely nothing to do with him. Would 100% do it again.
We were never EVER going to win 2014. Hawks wanted it way more than we did.

Yes but when the player taking up the biggest portion of your cap is not even able to contribute, that puts us in a potentially perilous position with regards to other Swans.
a possible reduction in salary cap won't change anything if an across the board reduction I wouldn't have thought.

a possible reduction in salary cap won't change anything if an across the board reduction I wouldn't have thought.

Correct, but my point is more that he's not playing. Other Swans are. They'll be contributing and improving and increasing their value, becoming harder for us to keep because we're somewhat restricted by the contract for the 34 year old on the sidelines. There will inevitably be another Mitchell situation here, if not more. I believe that is what Wilson is referring to by us having a plethora of good young players, but Buddy being a problem.

Correct, but my point is more that he's not playing. Other Swans are. They'll be contributing and improving and increasing their value, becoming harder for us to keep because we're somewhat restricted by the contract for the 34 year old on the sidelines. There will inevitably be another Mitchell situation here, if not more. I believe that is what Wilson is referring to by us having a plethora of good young players, but Buddy being a problem.
We are in a much better situation now than 2016 I would have thought.

The buddy contract hurts but we can start to backdate contracts with him gone post 2022, JPK comes out of contract and possibly won't be getting same money and then everyone's favourite Reid has 1 year left on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in a much better situation now than 2016 I would have thought.

The buddy contract hurts but we can start to backdate contracts with him gone post 2022, JPK comes out of contract and possibly won't be getting same money and then everyone's favourite Reid has 1 year left on his contract.

I hope we resign Reid, possibly to less money than he is on now, but I like Reid and think he adds something to the team when he is playing.

I hope we resign Reid, possibly to less money than he is on now, but I like Reid and think he adds something to the team when he is playing.
He'll be 29 and an unrestricted free agent, would be interesting to see if any club offers a better deal than what we do

Assuming the story is right bit of a worry he had soreness 9 days earlier and then tore it in fitness drills. Not sure about how many dr

Meh probably reading way too much into it.

Anyway let's hope it is a good hammy rip and not a bad one.

I hope he gets his body right for himself for the rest of his life first

Then I hope he gets it right enough for us to just stick him in the goal square for the rest of his contract

Big tear, slightly worse than the 9 week iniury last year. On the right leg where there's no history of injury, no tendon damage either. Won't be running for 3 or 4 weeks.

Back