Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/charlie-cameron

293257-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Position: Small forward
Height: 183cm
Weight: 72kg
Born: 5/7/94
Home club: Swan Districts

Small forward who plays a physical brand of football and displays an appetite for the contest. His ability to apply enormous defensive pressure to the opposition is a feature of his game. Has clean hands and leg speed.

Battersby and Spina good value picks. I'm less into Kelly, but let's give the kid a go.

No Mitch Thorp. No Wilson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the look of Cameron. Good to see we've added some indigenous flair and speed to our side in Betts and now Cameron. Cameron seems to have some serious wheels, not to mention he seems to hunt the ball and the ball-carrier. Welcome Charlie!

Charlie Cameron – Swan Districts / 178cm / 76kg / ‘94
Snoop Dog - Been really good this year and has been camped in the senior side for much of it. Only slight in body shape and size but gee he has a go. Has been played defensively in junior career but moved fwd this year and been really impressive with his pace and positioning really good. Importantly goes ok 1:1 as well. Think Eddie Betts / Jeff Gartlett..

Chris 25 - Charlie Cameron has enough tricks to make him dangerous up forward, it's the combination of that plus his defensive pressure which makes him attractive though. Similarly, with Brady Grey it's the extra size in the body and midfield ability which you're getting with him. Much more well rounded players as opposed to some of the others.

Knightmare - Charlie Cameron is exceptionally quick. An agressive tackler. Breaks the lines. Very clean at ground level with his pickups and has the ability to leap for a mark. The scoreboard impact he proves is relatively low which is the query but he's got some traits and natural talent for someone who hasn't played all his life so he's someone I'd invest in late/rookie.

Looks like Charlie Cameron is an 'over-ager' - born in July 1994 when most other draftees this year were born in '95. With that extra age and the fact that he's played some WAFL footy this year, he should slot straight into our reserves and play some good senior SANFL footy next year. This guy looks like the sort who'll need a couple of years in the system before we see him debut for the seniors (if that eventuates, of course).

Charlie Cameron – Swan Districts / 178cm / 76kg / ‘94
Snoop Dog - Been really good this year and has been camped in the senior side for much of it. Only slight in body shape and size but gee he has a go. Has been played defensively in junior career but moved fwd this year and been really impressive with his pace and positioning really good. Importantly goes ok 1:1 as well. Think Eddie Betts / Jeff Gartlett..

Chris 25 - Charlie Cameron has enough tricks to make him dangerous up forward, it's the combination of that plus his defensive pressure which makes him attractive though. Similarly, with Brady Grey it's the extra size in the body and midfield ability which you're getting with him. Much more well rounded players as opposed to some of the others.

Knightmare - Charlie Cameron is exceptionally quick. An agressive tackler. Breaks the lines. Very clean at ground level with his pickups and has the ability to leap for a mark. The scoreboard impact he proves is relatively low which is the query but he's got some traits and natural talent for someone who hasn't played all his life so he's someone I'd invest in late/rookie.

By the sounds of it he seems to be a good investment. I wouldn't have expected him to be brilliant in the forward line first out after playing defence his entire life. Gee working with Eddie couldn't be more of a better role model for him. It wouldn't surprise me if his issues were confidence and fitness. He will get fit at the crows and gain real belief in his ability if he can learn to use his pace in the forward to his advantage. I haven't heard of the kid but seem happy with what I have read.

Sounds a bit like Petrenko to me. Lots of pressure, quick doesn't really hit the scoreboard.

Let's hope Eddie can teach them both some of his tricks. Having said that I'm pretty happy with this pick. Nothing wrong with a rookie who has something exceptional but needs to round out his game.
With Callinan the Captain of the SANFL team and Betts at training, this kid couldn't be in a better place!

It's only his highlights, of course, but geez Cameron looks like he's as clean as a whistle with the ball. Brilliant hands. This is definitely my favourite of our rookie selections :thumbsu:

Good height for his type of player, too.
He's listed at 183cm but I must say he didn't look that tall in the draft footage!

Looks like Charlie Cameron is an 'over-ager' - born in July 1994 when most other draftees this year were born in '95. With that extra age and the fact that he's played some WAFL footy this year, he should slot straight into our reserves and play some good senior SANFL footy next year. This guy looks like the sort who'll need a couple of years in the system before we see him debut for the seniors (if that eventuates, of course).

Its hard to know. He has good size about him. I think fitness will be a huge factor. The reserves will be zone running and the new recruits will find it extremely tough to get the miles into games compared to more senior players. however he could be one of those freaky players that are naturally athletic and can make up ground fast.

I know that it's only highlights but he appears to be more of a outside midfielder than small forward, which we need. More of the Daniel Wells type than the Garlett but we will see. He looks very raw but with plenty of upside and natural pace which is what you want in the rookie draft. Good Luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back