Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Somebody just tell him he doesn't need to kick it 60 metres everytime he gets a chance.

Strange, once he started using his range he was carving opponents zones up hitting half forward from half back.

I'd hope that we've finally learned that more than half of Myers' kicks, and almost every kick in space, should be going 50-60m.

The players down field need to present as though he's 20m closer.

Strange, once he started using his range he was carving opponents zones up hitting half forward from half back.

I'd hope that we've finally learned that more than half of Myers' kicks, and almost every kick in space, should be going 50-60m.

The players down field need to present as though he's 20m closer.

The St. Kilda game rings a bell. His 3rd quarter I believe it was, he got his tail up, and had about 3 kicks from half-back-ish that would've traveled 55-60m to our forward 50, clearly the zone. A weapon when used properly.

I think he was right up there as most improved.

Anybody who doesn't... I think they were probably majorly overrating him in years past.
Guilty as charged. The award seems to indicate that they must be ****ed in the head to have selected him in the first place? Seriously, if you didn't rate him, why drop Langford for him!?
I don't think the award is justified because he performed exactly as expected when given the role that suits his game (and no injuries).

Shining a light on mental health;

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-29/myers-opens-up-on-mental-health
Conor Walsh said:
“(In 2017) I took a few weeks off myself and pulled myself out of the senior side, because I was battling with a few mental health issues myself,” Myers told Fox Footy.

“(I) had had a long injury history, which has been talked about a fair bit over my time, and then missed the year of football with the club.

“There was a period of probably four or five years where there’s just lots of little things that built up that I probably didn’t deal with in the right way and it led to a point where I sort of fell in a bit of a hole.”

Fellow Bomber Aaron Francis took time away from the club earlier this year to deal with his own personal battles and Myers said his young teammate is a prime example of the benefits of addressing mental health and seeking help.

“Aaron had flagged that he needed a bit of help and needed a bit of support, which was really brave of him, and the club wrapped its arms around him.

“You saw his performance when he came back. It just shows not only for football, just for the whole of life, how important it is to be in a good space and be feeling happy about what you’re doing and where you’re headed.”

Myers said his own experience of bravely speaking up about his health was overwhelmingly positive and has left him in a “great” state of mind.

“As soon as you reach out for help (you) have great services through the Players Association and our welfare department.

“And very quickly what you think are big issues turn out to be pretty easily solved, you just need some help to order your thoughts and find a way to work your way through it.”

“Men in general don’t tend to talk about issues they’re having and that’s where we need to improve.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-29/myers-opens-up-on-mental-health

DONATE TO DAVID MYERS’ MO SPACE

DONATE TO ADAM SAAD’S MO SPACE

DONATE TO MICHAEL HARTLEY’S MO SPACE

If you would like to seek help, call Lifeline (13 11 14) or beyondblue (1300 22 4636)

Would love to see this guy finish his career strongly and with the love and respect of the fans. He deserves a better fate than Stanton.

Admittedly, Stanton did too.

Admire anybody who speaks up publicly about mental health. They’re basically attracting hate and cynicism toward themselves, which Myers will get, don’t worry about that. It’s how some people operate.

Yet he’s done it to hopefully help some people out.

If one person seeks help and improves things for themselves, DM sitting down to do an interview will have been totally worth it.

Fantastic from Myers, applause from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full expecting his 15-20 disposals at 55ish efficiency. So in 4 quarters of football we will get 8-10 disposals potentially useful disposals. From a full time midfielder who offers nothing outside the initial contest, with his inability to spread and slow ball use. Season defining inclusion.

The bigger issue is that Heppell and Zaharakis are more comfortable playing inside and perform this role better than Myers - His inclusion unbalances the team.

Think he’ll be most improved player on ground Saturday, a rising star? Phoenix rising maybe? Or Event ho-rising where he extinguishes all light around him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back