Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Get your point about the smaller ground, but if we play blindly & bomb, they'll set up everytime & rebound with interest.

The only time we got back into game was when we started lowering our eyes i50 & caught out their zoning.
Sometimes in finals you just need to put the defense under bombardment pressure. If we can have Hooker and Myers both as additions to our previous encounter at the SCG then that tactic becomes a real option.

Sometimes in finals you just need to put the defense under bombardment pressure. If we can have Hooker and Myers both as additions to our previous encounter at the SCG then that tactic becomes a real option.

Ideally he'd be more creative/accurate by foot but i agree about finals pressure. Forwards will need to be in front as more than just Myers will be hacking it forward.

Get your point about the smaller ground, but if we play blindly & bomb, they'll set up everytime & rebound with interest.

The only time we got back into game was when we started lowering our eyes i50 & caught out their zoning.
In addition, opposition set ups from rebounds tend to happen if you're only bombing as deep as the HF region. If Hep hacks forward from the wing it likely lands in a vulnerable rebound spot at HF. If Myers does it lands at the top of the goal square where defenders get nervous. That's why we need Hooker to at least patrol a deep forward position for the most part.

It was infuriating last time to see bombs to HF where only Tippa contested for the mark.

This season is only the 4th season he has played 14 or more senior AFL games.
Each time he has played 14 or more games in a season Essendon have finished in the 8, except 2013 when removed and made 9th.
#barometer

He is a great bloke by all reports but a slow plodder.
He is slow hand to foot and so left sided that he really has to win clearances to have a real effect.
Congratulations on 100 games. Great effort and will squeeze another year of afl footy in 2018.

Agree with this. He needs to develop a side step as everyone knows what he is going to do with the ball in his hands.

Next game will be his 100th, which is a great milestone after all those injuries. He's probably missed as many as he's played by now.
99/201 games so far, not including the suspension

Agree with this. He needs to develop a side step as everyone knows what he is going to do with the ball in his hands.

Hasn't hurt Hibbo :D

He needs to stop wasting time feigning that he's going right, we all know your going left mate, stop mucking around.

Not to mention Hooker's strength in the contest brings the smalls into play as well. Crumbs are going to be a factor, especially if the ground is being watered as has been alleged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes played 99 out of a possible 223 games - congratz on getting to 100 if he does it this week, but really hoping hes played more the the reserves in 2018 as the game has gone past him
I like how you include the 22 games from 2016 in his possible total.

Hurley had such a rubbish year in 2016, he wasn't even selected for a game. Nor were Heppell or Hooker! :drunk:

From memory the last time he played against Sydney he had just come back from injury and had a massive game with like 27 touches or something like that. I can't even remember how many years ago it was but it still happened.

Hopefully he's one of those players that lifts inexplicably for their own 100th. If he could keep Kennedy quieter than normal and launch a few of those big left kicks on the small SCG ground it could go a long way towards us winning.

From memory the last time he played against Sydney he had just come back from injury and had a massive game with like 27 touches or something like that. I can't even remember how many years ago it was but it still happened.

Hopefully he's one of those players that lifts inexplicably for their own 100th. If he could keep Kennedy quieter than normal and launch a few of those big left kicks on the small SCG ground it could go a long way towards us winning.
The last memory i have of him playing Sydney is he caught Dempsey holding the ball and earned a free kick for Sydney... surely that's a false memory?

I like how you include the 22 games from 2016 in his possible total.

Hurley had such a rubbish year in 2016, he wasn't even selected for a game. Nor were Heppell or Hooker! :drunk:
Hurley and Hep are just lucky Nathan Grima and James Polkinghorne retired and a spot opened up

Very happy that's he is finally playing his 100th.

I had it on good authority that he was as important as anyone including Jobe off field during the supplements saga.

He's smart, thoughtful guy and supposedly did a lot to help other players (though I can't say how).

Would have been captain if he could have gotten a decent run at a career to this point. Think he could have been close to an A-grade inside mid with more luck.

I'm certainly hoping that he'll be an integral part of the side for the next two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back