Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

We have just lost Jobe Watson from the inside; we have an acknowledged and pretty obvious weakness on the inside, and yet we are in big trouble if Myers is in the side the very next time we play a game?

What an amusing comment.

We have just lost Jobe Watson from the inside; we have an acknowledged and pretty obvious weakness on the inside, and yet we are in big trouble if Myers is in the side the very next time we play a game?

What an amusing comment.

Yep - hes a hack, always has been, always will be. We need players that can use the ball - not just hack it out of the midfield. Hack hack hack

I made the case above. We have a huge weakness on the inside, now even more accentuated having lost Watson, and right now there isn't really an obvious solution to that unless we go out and get ready-made ones at the trade table. So Myers probably has to stay for the time being because the alternative is to place all responsibility on players not yet ready to handle that responsibility.

Your agenda against him is flat out embarrassing.

If he plays like he did yesterday, I agree, I wouldn't want him in the 22.

But yeah, calls that we're in some world of trouble if he is in the side at the very start of next year are alarmist and silly once you remember what threadbare resources we have on the inside.

Surely Myers is one of the cuts.

Him, Colyer, Hocking, Howlett, Morgan and McKernan are who I'd delist.
He's contracted for another two years so no, you'd be wrong.

Same with Colyer for that matter.

People who want Myers cut or can't see why he is in the team has very little understanding of our list at the moment.
he is what we need atm a big bodied midfielder, he doesn't regularly get enough of the ball, when when he does he is effective. a bit that does seem to go unnoticed with Myres is that he does do a fair bit off the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myers has zero lateral movement, no right side, no break away speed, gets caught with the ball in close a lot. But unfortunately as doss said with Jobe going he's our only real bad and crash inside mid

Personally I think he is a liability and we won't go deep into finals with him

he is what we need atm a big bodied midfielder, he doesn't regularly get enough of the ball, when when he does he is effective. a bit that does seem to go unnoticed with Myres is that he does do a fair bit off the ball
Yep, we'd all love him to be a 25-30 touch a week player but at the moment if he was out of the team people would be asking why nobody is blocking for Zach or Zaharakis and screaming to play big bodies like Hocking even though he gives less than Myers.

Until we fix this hole Myers is who we have, I feel it's our number one problem to fix over summer. More inside grunt

Why would you have him in the team, because he's a big body? The thing he is in the team for is the thing we aren't any good at.
Now imagine it without him

I'm prepared to cut Myers some slack.

Let's remember he didn't play for 2 years & this was always a year of readjusting....2 years is a hell of long time out of it!

Let's see how he fares with another big pre season under his belt with the creases well & truly iron out & an added responsibility to fill the void left by Jobe.

People who want Myers cut or can't see why he is in the team has very little understanding of our list at the moment.

Agreed.

The people calling for wholesale cuts to our list however are the same people who show up and declare us contenders when we play well.

I had us from 6-14 at the start of the season and reckon we did really well to finish 8th in the end! (7th after home and away).

Was a building year and we will only get better as our key players are all 28 or under.

Yep, we'd all love him to be a 25-30 touch a week player but at the moment if he was out of the team people would be asking why nobody is blocking for Zach or Zaharakis and screaming to play big bodies like Hocking even though he gives less than Myers.

Until we fix this hole Myers is who we have, I feel it's our number one problem to fix over summer. More inside grunt

'Just kick it long!'

'Why did you kick it there?'

He stays in the team week in week out beacuse we need a big bodied bloke to win the inside ball...does he do the job well not really. Unfortunately we will probley be having this same argument next year. People like him people want him dropped.

We need to see how he's travelling 6 weeks into next season. If he has a good preseason and is fit and healthy then we give him about 6 weeks to settle into the big bodied mid role.

If he's not doing any better than what he's shown its time to cast him off to the VFL and just play a kid in his place.

Another senior Essendon player with a ? against his name. Familiar story last 15 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back