Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently his tingles are all better now.

In better news for Bombers fans, young midfielder Kobe Mutch is in line to return after overcoming a long run of niggling headaches, while David Myers is back to full fitness after recovering from a minor hip strain.

“David played after his hip issue, he was symptom-free in the game, he’s come out of the game well (and) he’ll fully train and be available.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-06-05/skins-injury-update-rd-11

Probably Myers replaces Kyle, Kyle replaces Zaka sorta thing. So hopefully not RIP Kyle... yet.
I don’t think I’ve ever been more nervous for a thursday night squad before!

I think a lot of us are still thinking it and will keep doing so until Kyle plays the rest of the year or he and Myers plays several weeks together.
Probably Myers replaces Kyle, Kyle replaces Zaka sorta thing. So hopefully not RIP Kyle... yet.
Just to clarify.....

If langford is dropped and Myers comes in i will riot.

This thread really has been a debacle lately. Lift your game everyone.
Problem is he laid to many tackles last game.

20 touches, 7 tackles and 4 clearances is to much.

20 touches, 5 tackles and 4 clearances and we lock him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SURPRISE!!!!!
I honestly thought his last act of note on a footy field would be where for the first time in the game he evaded a tackle, realised he had some time, took a few seconds to sum up his options then decided that the superior option was to kick it 30 metres forward and 100 in the air to a 1 on 3 situation.

In fairness to Myers he's just trying to play football
I admire his persistence in trying...

Jokes aside Myers is not as bad as is made out. It’s just poor selection policy elsewhere that causes him to be the target of so many. Sadly he should be nothing more than fringe or depth now. I say sadly because his best years were screwed by the club. I think BrunoV said elsewhere that the biggest issue we might face from the saga is guilt and I think we see that in the selection of Myers when he doesn’t deserve selection on performance alone.

The thing about Myers is he's probably the only senior midfielder other than Heppell with the game to address the current glaring weakness in clearances and contested footy - if he's playing somewhere near his peak. As such, the problem isn't Myers being selected per se, as there's far more logic behind it than some other older players. Rather, it's whether he can regain that form, and if prioritising that diminishes the opportunities for younger players to develop into a similar role.

There's a bit of a parallel for Gold Coast at the moment with Dew only willing to field one of Barlow, Lyons and Brodie at a time.

Last edited:
I admire his persistence in trying...

Jokes aside Myers is not as bad as is made out. It’s just poor selection policy elsewhere that causes him to be the target of so many. Sadly he should be nothing more than fringe or depth now. I say sadly because his best years were screwed by the club. I think BrunoV said elsewhere that the biggest issue we might face from the saga is guilt and I think we see that in the selection of Myers when he doesn’t deserve selection on performance alone.
The thing about Myers is he's probably the only senior midfielder other than Heppell with the game to address the current glaring weakness in clearances and contested footy - if he's playing somewhere near his peak. As such, the problem isn't Myers being selected per se, as there's far more logic behind it than some other older players. Rather, it's whether he can regain that form, and if prioritising that diminishes the opportunities for younger players to develop into a similar role.

There's a bit of a parallel for Gold Coast at the moment with Dew only willing to field one of Barlow, Lyons and Brodie at a time.

Fair enough points made by both in a thoughtful and respectful tone which is all that is required.
It seems to me more thought is given to offending fellow posters on here than is given to the player they are having a free kick at most of the time.
As has been said before Myers is not putting himself in the side and I doubt that with the money and time invested in winning games by any club a player would get picked because of guilt . Lets face it they would have to keep playing him till he was fifty if that was the case.
We'll see what happens tomorrow either way it will be game on in here again...... either that he's hopless or he was okay but won't be able to do it again next week.
Its certainly been an interesting excercise being involved in the debate instead of just reading it.

Fair enough points made by both in a thoughtful and respectful tone which is all that is required.
It seems to me more thought is given to offending fellow posters on here than is given to the player they are having a free kick at most of the time.
As has been said before Myers is not putting himself in the side and I doubt that with the money and time invested in winning games by any club a player would get picked because of guilt . Lets face it they would have to keep playing him till he was fifty if that was the case.
We'll see what happens tomorrow either way it will be game on in here again...... either that he's hopless or he was okay but won't be able to do it again next week.
Its certainly been an interesting excercise being involved in the debate instead of just reading it.
I get the logic of picking his skills set. But I would have thought he needed some clear form in the VFL. His last AFL game was close to the worst by anybody in history, then injury, and he's had one ok game in the VFL since then.

I get the logic of picking his skills set. But I would have thought he needed some clear form in the VFL. His last AFL game was close to the worst by anybody in history, then injury, and he's had one ok game in the VFL since then.

His last Afl game in fairness was the worst team game in history !!
As I said he isn't doing the selections and he will do as he's told just like he has done for the last 11 years.
Trying to help the team.

He also has (at least in theory) a skillset that not a lot of others have. The combination of genuine clearance winning midfielder at his size and good to very good kick of the footy continues to seduce everyone.

Every coach he's had has regarded him as pretty much an auto in when fit so he obviously says and does all the right things on a week to week basis which is an underrated quality in and of itself but I think he's pretty well cooked.

Why he's being brought back in these circumstances is completely beyond me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back