Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. It's always the injury prone blokes that keep on keeping on. Never those shitty durable types...

It’s a common bullshit line that gets thrown around and I can’t think of anyone it’s actually rang true for. ‘Because he’s missed 4 years through injury, his body has had less wear and tear, so he’ll be able to play on longer.......’ more like ‘the bloke gets injured which is stress on his body and as a result, his body is knackered’. I’m not referring to Myers specifically in the above comment, just for afl players in general.

Myers is 29, so him playing for 3 more years would be no surprise, as that would have him retire at 32, which is no big deal, but trying to make out the reason he can play on until then is due to the injuries he’s sustained is a bit over the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His MGC form, particularly in our last 2 acid tests v pies/hawks, has been poor. Acknowledge he loves etihad, but symbolic of the side, he becomes pedestrian on the G.

We desperately need him on the front foot fri night, with plenty of CP & using that foot cannon to max effect.

Well well well....another s**t game by Mr Myers against quality oppo, why am I not surprised...

Is a B grader at best & underlines the importance of why we need Shiel/Gaff to push the likes of this guy out the best 22.

It’s cliche, but game’s gone past him.

Last edited:
Well well well....another s**t game by Mr Myers against quality oppo, why am I not surprised...

Is a B grader at best & underlines the importance of why we need Shiel/Gaff to knock the likes of this guy out the best 22.

It’s cliche, but game’s gone past him.
Hahahaha, Jesus.

He was praised by all and sundry for his recent form, and rightly so too.

Now one poor game and the game has apparently gone past him. Could you be any more fickle?

Really battles when under immense pressure. He was slipping so much last night as the pressure was too much.

Missed a few targets that were critical in parts of the game.

Unless we get a Shiel, Setterfield, Begley becomes a mid or Langford/Laverde replaces we just have to play him and mask his flaws. Would be good if we could do a Miles and consign him to VFL because we have different options.

Hahahaha, Jesus.

He was praised by all and sundry for his recent form, and rightly so too.

Now one poor game and the game has apparently gone past him. Could you be any more fickle?

Any more fickle?? How so?

Why don’t you update yourself with the last couple of pages & you’ll see I called him out that’s he’s been below par in both losses post bye....Pies, Hawks & I challenged him to put a stamp on last night & he failed comprehensibly to do so.

Can’t defend the indefensible

He beats up on s**t sides & goes missing against the big boys.

Hardly a revelation.

Any more fickle?? How so?

Why don’t you update yourself with the last couple of pages & you’ll see I called him out that’s he’s been below par in both losses post bye....Pies, Hawks & I challenged him to put a stamp on last night & he failed comprehensibly to do so.

Can’t defend the indefensible

He beats up on s**t sides & goes missing against the big boys.

Hardly a revelation.
You said the game has gone past him because he played a bad game, completely ignoring his good form recently. It’s baby out with the bath water stuff and oh so typical of Essendon supporters.

His games against Richmond, Hawthorn & Collingwood were almost identical.

He may be getting asked to play a different role against these sides.
Or
Just inconsistency, has reached the level of performing against most sides but the top dogs are still a bit too much.

Still a valuable contributor,there was a patch where he just wasnt able to get it done offensively his kicks were 10% off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said the game has gone past him because he played a bad game, completely ignoring his good form recently. It’s baby out with the bath water stuff and oh so typical of Essendon supporters.

Don’t marginalise what I said.

I said he’s been found wanting in all 3 major games post bye at the G (Pies, Hawks & now Tiges)....that would be 3 games....not 1, of which we lost all 3!

One bad game?? Give us a spell.

Typical Essendon supporters papering over cracks of mediocrity more like it.

Don’t marginalise what I said.

I said he’s been found wanting in all 3 major games post bye at the G (Pies, Hawks & now Tiges)....that would be 3 games....not 1, of which we lost all 3!

One bad game?? Give us a spell.

Typical Essendon supporters papering over cracks of mediocrity more like it.
Yawn.

Is it that he only plays well when we’re on song, or that we look most dangerous when he (alongside, of course, Merrett/Heppell/Fantasia) is on song?

I think you have to be careful taking those chicken and egg scenarios too far.

No problem with playing Myers but I just hope going into 2019 the coaches don't have him as an automatic selection that he was this year. We need to give the likes of Begley, Mutch, Clarke and Laverde a chance to push him out of the side. Playing Myers is also limiting Langford's midfield minutes as Myers can only play as a mid.

Was arguably our best player (along with Gleeson) in our final where we got killed last year.

Two of his better games this year (besides St Kilda) were against north & port.

This myth that he doesn't play well against good teams needs to stop. His main weakness is speed of decision making and disposal, which may struggle against sides likes Richmond & Collingwood with their pressure.

Was arguably our best player (along with Gleeson) in our final where we got killed last year.

Two of his better games this year (besides St Kilda) were against north & port.

This myth that he doesn't play well against good teams needs to stop. His main weakness is speed of decision making and disposal, which may struggle against sides likes Richmond & Collingwood with their pressure.
Lol Myers had 12 touches and two tackles in the elimination final last year, was one of the worst on the day.

Is it that he only plays well when we’re on song, or that we look most dangerous when he (alongside, of course, Merrett/Heppell/Fantasia) is on song?

I think you have to be careful taking those chicken and egg scenarios too far.
In 2018 Myers averages 98 supercoach points in games where we win. He averages 55 points in games where we lose. With him we won 8 and lost 7. Without him, we won 3 and lost 3.

Think his performance is far more dependent on the team than vice versa

And if you want more numbers, he averages 63 against the top 8 and 91 against the rest. David skis downhill.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back