Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who noticed he kicked on his right foot?

It was a snap around the body, and it was only a point, but it's development nonetheless.

Nah, it's time, he's done.
Are you sure, I was about to say let's give the kid a couple more years and see if he's got it

I just assume he has compromising photos of each AFL senior coach he’s played under. We’re wasting development of someone like Langford, who may not cut it, but I’d prefer to go for unproven average player that could click rather than proven average player.

What does he offer? He's a 191cm midfield, you'd think he would be helpful in the air but he never seems to be in the right places or used as an option to get out of D50. A 191cm midfield with a mature body should be a dominant force and this guy just isn't. Please stop playing him.

What does he offer? He's a 191cm midfield, you'd think he would be helpful in the air but he never seems to be in the right places or used as an option to get out of D50. A 191cm midfield with a mature body should be a dominant force and this guy just isn't. Please stop playing him.
At the very least, Langford offers an aerial option and goalkicking.
If he could learn to block with his frame, he'd be in i imagine. Our clearance work has been largely based around the jets getting the ball and running into the spaces created by the bigger/slower mids blocking.

Langford has so many strengths over Myers. He's quicker, better in the air, knows how to handball, doesn't have the turning circle of the titanic. I can acknowledge that Langford has things to work on but damn Myers has so many weaknesses in his game that he should be limited to a break in case of emergency option and not a routine starter the way he is now.

Honestly if we played any of Langford, Mynott, Clarke instead of Myers would we really be worse off? I have trouble seeing it. Myers isn't even replicating last years form where every 6 or so weeks he'd have a really good game. At least that gave us something to look forward to.

I can accept Baguley getting played a lot easier because at least he produces results in the form of goals and the replacement options aren't as ready or available.

We drop junior players at the drop of a hat but senior players especially guys like Myers continue to get a free ride, I love his leadership and he is a great bloke but he isn’t playing well and currently is offering nothing more than Clarke/Mynott/Langford would.

Suprised to see he has played 130+ games can’t say he has been one of our best players for even a quarter of those games.

I can only assume it’s leadership / on field marshalling which is apparently more important now without runners.

He’s clearly highly rated internally for some reason.

I’d imagine our lack of inside mids also works in his favour. They’re clearly not confident in Langford doing inside work. Which is fair enough, because he’s not a midfielder.

You’d hope a kid dislodged him this year. Who knows, maybe it could be Guelfi. He has a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The blocking he does at contests goes severely unnoticed on this board. Everyone raves when Merrett, Shiel and the like run away from the clearance.
Rarely is it acknowledged the blocking and occasionally handballs from Myers that assist in this clearances happening in the first place.
Debate for your life whether this is worth a spot itself. But when people say “would we really lose anything if we played Clarke?” Yes, we would.

The blocking he does at contests goes severely unnoticed on this board. Everyone raves when Merrett, Shiel and the like run away from the clearance.
Rarely is it acknowledged the blocking and occasionally handballs from Myers that assist in this clearances happening in the first place.
Debate for your life whether this is worth a spot itself. But when people say “would we really lose anything if we played Clarke?” Yes, we would.
Everything you says he does that goes unnoticed are what Clarke does in the VFL so no we don’t lose any of that

Everything you says he does that goes unnoticed are what Clarke does in the VFL so no we don’t lose any of that

You reckon Clarke is able to block guys like Dangerfield and Selwood so Shiel and Merrett can go in and win the ball?

Admittedly he hasn’t really had the chance to show he can yet, but I’ve got my doubts.

It may same a simple approach - but our midfield is very small. Merrett, Shiel, McGrath, Parish all on the smaller side. Even Fantasia, Tippa going through there.
Stringer is an exception going through there at times. We ask Heppell to play bigger than he is. But there is certainly a spot for Myers to do what he does.

You reckon Clarke is able to block guys like Dangerfield and Selwood so Shiel and Merrett can go in and win the ball?

Admittedly he hasn’t really had the chance to show he can yet, but I’ve got my doubts.

It may same a simple approach - but our midfield is very small. Merrett, Shiel, McGrath, Parish all on the smaller side. Even Fantasia, Tippa going through there.
Stringer is an exception going through there at times. We ask Heppell to play bigger than he is. But there is certainly a spot for Myers to do what he does.

At 187cm and 87kg, Clarke is only 4cm shorter, 2kg lighter than Myers. There's little in it and he seems to just have better midfield nous, and definitely has better hands in tight.

He was much better last season that he has been given credit for on here. He has been utterly dreadful this year.

Part of the issue is that he has been squeezed out in the midfield rotation by the recruitment of Shiel. He is not the only one who has suffered due to being marginalised by a much superior player.

The question becomes can he still be used effectively in a team with greater midfield depth? Or can another player offer more value?

I'd argue that Langford playing the midfield-forward role adds more value and increases the teams positional flexibility. He might offer a little less on the inside but he offers more on the outside, is a superior user of the footy and can successfully drift forward. It would be inane to continue with Myers if, due to Shiel, he is now superfluous.

I know it’s been discussed before and is probably a stupid suggestion, but I really wonder how much we’d lose by replacing Myers with Ambrose.

Is the idea that we could then play Francis down back in Ambrose’ spot?? If not, why bother. Ambrose is doing well and when all the mids are fit, we wouldn’t need to play Myers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We drop junior players at the drop of a hat but senior players especially guys like Myers continue to get a free ride, I love his leadership and he is a great bloke but he isn’t playing well and currently is offering nothing more than Clarke/Mynott/Langford would.

Suprised to see he has played 130+ games can’t say he has been one of our best players for even a quarter of those games.

This is not an Essendon thing. Happens across the league.
And stop with the Mynott stuff. He has not been ready to play. Langford and Clarke (to a degree) I can entertain but it has only been 3 VFL games this year that Mynott has shown much more consistent form. He is progressing very well but up until now he has not been a standout for selection.

This is not an Essendon thing. Happens across the league.
And stop with the Mynott stuff. He has not been ready to play. Langford and Clarke (to a degree) I can entertain but it has only been 3 VFL games this year that Mynott has shown much more consistent form. He is progressing very well but up until now he has not been a standout for selection.
You keep arguing these points with me yet you of all people should know why I keep asking for kids to play :p

Formwise yes I agree with that but that didn’t stop others getting a game with Ham most recently, it’s safe to say Myers would most likely be getting better if not the same numbers that the likes of Clarke and Mynott are right now in the VFL

You keep arguing these points with me yet you of all people should know why I keep asking for kids to play :p

Formwise yes I agree with that but that didn’t stop others getting a game with Ham most recently, it’s safe to say Myers would most likely be getting better if not the same numbers that the likes of Clarke and Mynott are right now in the VFL
If Myers would outperform them then why the rush to replace him with them?

Is the idea that we could then play Francis down back in Ambrose’ spot?? If not, why bother. Ambrose is doing well and when all the mids are fit, we wouldn’t need to play Myers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. Just seems like we have a dearth of defenders. I’ve heard in the past Ambrose is an absolute endurance beast. He has Myers covered for size, and couldn’t be any slower.

Just wonder about midfield. I mean if Myers can play in there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back