Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Averages 22.8 disposals a game when he has 73% or more time on the ground (7 matches).

And 18.8 disposals when he spends less than 73% time on the ground (5 matches).

giphy.gif
Beautiful reverse swing; Wasim Akram would be proud.

Was he even playing much inside this week? Maybe he is carrying something because at the ground it didn't seem like he was getting his hands dirty much and stats seem to confirm it (did lay a bunch of tackles which is something I guess).
List of players to get more Contested Possessions than him yesterday:

(ESS) Parish, Goddard, Stringer, Walla, Bellchambers, Hooker, Smith, Heppell, Merrett.
(HAW) Hardwick, Worpel, Shiels, Ceglar, Smith, Burgoyne, O'Maera, Gunston, Mitchell.

19th most CP's on the ground is simply not good enough from our biggest and arguably strongest inside mid. Of course he could have been playing a different role but we can't continue to carry a big inside mid not getting CP's when we need him to most. Not a huge Wallis fan but give me a Ball Pig in yesterday's game over 2 Left foot cannon kicks for the match any day of the week. At least you know what you are going to get week to week...

Pathetic return from him on sat, just as it seemed he might be turning it around in the weeks prior.

I hope we get Wallis to play that inside mid role that Myers gets on a plate every week. Has more tricks up his sleeve & you know what you’re going to get every week.

EDIT: didn’t see post above until I put through mine, but good minds think alike...

19th most CP's on the ground is simply not good enough from our biggest and arguably strongest inside mid. Of course he could have been playing a different role but we can't continue to carry a big inside mid not getting CP's when we need him to most. Not a huge Wallis fan but give me a Ball Pig in yesterday's game over 2 Left foot cannon kicks for the match any day of the week. At least you know what you are going to get week to week...

And atleast Wallis can tag & win his own ball too. I can recall he did a job on Merrett previously, which is an asset I’d have killed to have had on Saturday to throw at Mitchell.

And atleast Wallis can tag & win his own ball too. I can recall he did a job on Merrett previously, which is an asset I’d have killed to have had on Saturday to throw at Mitchell.

Myers has such a unique set of traits for an inside mid & that is the main reason I want him to succeed but he just seems to lack arguably two of the most important inside mid skills; consistency at the contest and quick/creative hands. Very frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! Just wow! Whether it's continuity of games, or growing confidence in his body, this guy is a weapon.

Great game tonight. Really hope he keeps up this sort of form but the real test will be next week. Went missing against the Hawks so I hope he brings his best against the tigers. If he has a similar game to tonight I will start to believe again (like I did before his shoulder injury against Sydney all those year ago...)

Best game I've ever seen him play. He's actually starting to really show why the coaches have persisted with him for so long. His kicking was the most accurate I've seen from him. If he could have 2-3 good years following on from this one it will really help us transition and he could actually be a big part of our charges towards finals in the next couple of years.

I was wrong David. You are well suited to our best 22 and a key part of our midfield.

Go forth, and hit your peak at 29 haha

Call from the commentary too that he’ll be off to the NFL after footy.

Now that I think about it not the worst call. Few players are better suited to being a stationary mortar launcher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back