Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

These are his disposal numbers for the year when he has played consecutive weeks:

Streak 1 - 16, 24, 20
2 - 19, 20
3 - 19, 25, 16, 24, 18, 25, 15, 29, 15

To me, it's clear that a) Myers takes time playing after injury/a week off and b) he struggles to back up from a good performance in which he has been on the field longer.

In 2018 Myers averages 98 supercoach points in games where we win. He averages 55 points in games where we lose. With him we won 8 and lost 7. Without him, we won 3 and lost 3.

Think his performance is far more dependent on the team than vice versa

And if you want more numbers, he averages 63 against the top 8 and 91 against the rest. David skis downhill.

Not many players affect the overall win/loss ratio of the side by themselves. Nobody is claiming he's any better than a best 22 footballer so I don't think the match results really matter. For example Dea has a much better win/loss ratio than Zaharakis this year even though I reckon he contributed much less. The only player in our side who we desperately missed from week to week when injured was Fantasia. Literally the only guy that I thought would have (as opposed to may have) turned several close losses into wins for us if he'd been out there.

I don't disagree entirely that he ski's downhill but I would say it comes back to defensive pressure. The top sides in 2018 bring a lot more defensive pressure and Myers is a slow ball user so it just makes it way harder for him. The possible flip side to that is that he may be assigned more defensive roles against better sides aiming to restrict their best midfielders at stoppages rather than win it himself.

Anyway I can't see Myers not being in our best 22 in round 1 2019 no matter what happens. At least he's playing better in general this year than in any previous year in his career with a number of standout performances. I'd rather an average player than a well below average one.

Not many players affect the overall win/loss ratio of the side by themselves. Nobody is claiming he's any better than a best 22 footballer so I don't think the match results really matter. For example Dea has a much better win/loss ratio than Zaharakis this year even though I reckon he contributed much less. The only player in our side who we desperately missed from week to week when injured was Fantasia. Literally the only guy that I thought would have (as opposed to may have) turned several close losses into wins for us if he'd been out there.

I don't disagree entirely that he ski's downhill but I would say it comes back to defensive pressure. The top sides in 2018 bring a lot more defensive pressure and Myers is a slow ball user so it just makes it way harder for him. The possible flip side to that is that he may be assigned more defensive roles against better sides aiming to restrict their best midfielders at stoppages rather than win it himself.

Anyway I can't see Myers not being in our best 22 in round 1 2019 no matter what happens. At least he's playing better in general this year than in any previous year in his career with a number of standout performances. I'd rather an average player than a well below average one.
Line ball is line ball. Whichever side of the fence you fall on, Myers is on the edge of best 22. So on that note i can totally see a way in which he is not best 22 next year. It would only take some decent improvement from the likes of Langford, Laverde, Begley or a new recruit. Also virtually our entire midfield is either young or small or both. Next year they may not be bigger, but they will all be a bit more mature and hardened for the contested ball.

Yes i average 100 every week
2c6.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn't know this?!
Nope - not in the slightest! He kicked that goal just before and I saw his hand in the close up and lost my s**t a little! Then I googled “David Myers no finger” and found that article from 2009...

Won the Most Improved Player award at the Crichton tonight.

David Myers has been named as Essendon’s Most Improved Player for 2018 at the Crichton Medal on Thursday evening.

Myer’s received the award, voted by the match committee, as the player who has demonstrated a commitment to excellence after showing clear improvement from previous seasons and a willingness to go above and beyond.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-10-04/most-improved-myers

He also managed to lower his eyes and hit a target or two over a shorter distance. Developing nicely, is David... will be hitting his prime by early 30s... as was expected when we drafted him.
A little self-quoting necessary here. The club obviously see him as an excellent future prospect and it’s reflected in the most improved award. That award is only ever given to those about to hit their prime...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back