AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know what junior club he played for? He looks familiar. My sons are 21 and 18 and played a couple of seasons at West Coburg.

Also on a funny note, I have two nieces half way through high school that are convinced that Harry is going to marry them and change his surname.

Dermie reckons he hasnt learnt proper leading patterns yet, does a lot of useless running to where the ball will never go. I'll still take it over a guy standing behind the pack with an arm in the air
I just ignore anything he says about Essendon. He has a huge chip on his shoulder.

Does anyone know what junior club he played for? He looks familiar. My sons are 21 and 18 and played a couple of seasons at West Coburg.

Also on a funny note, I have two nieces half way through high school that are convinced that Harry is going to marry them and change his surname.

My cousin knows his old man and the family and they’re involved with Airport West FC.

Not sure if Harrison played for Airport West as a kid though.

Dermie reckons he hasnt learnt proper leading patterns yet, does a lot of useless running to where the ball will never go. I'll still take it over a guy standing behind the pack with an arm in the air

Derm talks a lot of crap.

At the same age as Jones and right through his career for that matter, he never had “ leading pattens”. 90% of his marks were contested jump ball pack grabs or one on one tussles.

Yet Carey is glowing of him. Arguably the best CHF who has played the game.

Once he gets a bit more size/physical conditioning, will be unstoppable IMO.

Carey, Roo, Dunstall, Lyon are all pretty enamoured so it seems like an outlier opinion, which is weird because I don't mind Derm normally as long as I don't have to look at him

I mean, the key words with Jones as they currently stand are "first year player". Leading patterns at AFL level are different to under 18's and even juniors (where they are basically non exsistent and you just rely on skill/talent and crash and bash). Can't expect a player to learn it all in what, 14 games. Always has to be some negative opinion/view/criticism on a players game when they're on the up and showing potential doesn't there.

Derm should offer some knowledge to the guy rather then barking praise during match commentary about Mumford's ability to crash/do dodgy tactics into players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, the key words with Jones as they currently stand are "first year player". Leading patterns at AFL level are different to under 18's and even juniors (where they are basically non exsistent and you just rely on skill/talent and crash and bash). Can't expect a player to learn it all in what, 14 games. Always has to be some negative opinion/view/criticism on a players game when they're on the up and showing potential doesn't there.

Derm should offer some knowledge to the guy rather then barking praise during match commentary about Mumford's ability to crash/do dodgy tactics into players.
Technically a second year player – Drafted end of 2019, but then hurt his foot and there was no VFL to prove his form after that.

Technically a second year player – Drafted end of 2019, but then hurt his foot and there was no VFL to prove his form after that.
I mean, you're technically right haha but if we're talking technically, technically first year playing consistent at AFL level and trying to work out leading patterns as a professional AFL KPF.

I just ignore anything he says about Essendon. He has a huge chip on his shoulder.
I find Dermie pretty even handed. The anti-essendon stuff is mostly schtick.

Derm talks a lot of crap.

At the same age as Jones and right through his career for that matter, he never had “ leading pattens”. 90% of his marks were contested jump ball pack grabs or one on one tussles.
I remember Derm bragging that his expertise on key forwards led to Hawthorn opting for Xavier Ellis over Josh J Kennedy. That worked out well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back