AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to give him credit, he has worked on his effort in game and his confidence is building. Balance in the forward line does get thrown out a bit when Wright, Stringer, Langford and a resting ruck are all in the side so will be interesting to see what happens there.

Seeing him in this game compared to round 1 was like a completely different player.
It wasn't like everything went his way but he just kept working and working and when he had chances he took them.
In round 1 he seemed to be so lacking in confidence that even if the ball fell into his lap 15m out you wouldn't back him. In this game he was making every moment count - when he couldn't mark it he brought it to ground. Showed genuine desperation in his defensive efforts.

In 2 weeks we could be facing a very interesting prospect when Wright returns as to whether we a) go extra tall, b) drop a 2nd ruck or c) drop Jones (I'd hate to see that right now).
Goldy is undroppable right now. I'd say we'll still play both rucks but they'll rotate off the bench as per R2. Jones will still play with Perkins injured, but he'll spend a lot of time running up the ground anyway. We've missed marking power up the ground and he and Goldy have provided that. Wright will still take forward fifty ruck contests.

i think that people might be looking at him in the wrong light with regards him and 2mp in the same side. i personally would be fine having both, as jones ends up playing up the ground a lot anyway. if he can develop a great pack marking ability he'll be an invaluable asset for exiting our defensive 50. obviously getting on the scoreboard is important for forwards, but if he's dragging the 2nd, 3rd best defender out of our f50 and running them ragged, we'll be better off for it, don't forget he's got some fantastic endurance skills and good closing speed.

If Wright is the second ruck then yes.

I agree. Harry's pressure, at least to the eye test, looks pretty close to elite for a bigger guy too.

What about the next step? Can you have Wright, Jones, Langford & Stringer in the same forward line, along with Gresham? Not sure what the solution is, but that looks to really be lacking that forward pressure on paper, even with a Davey/Menzie/Guelfi in there. That's before looking at Caddy too.

I agree. Harry's pressure, at least to the eye test, looks pretty close to elite for a bigger guy too.

What about the next step? Can you have Wright, Jones, Langford & Stringer in the same forward line, along with Gresham? Not sure what the solution is, but that looks to really be lacking that forward pressure on paper, even with a Davey/Menzie/Guelfi in there. That's before looking at Caddy too.
If the pressure is the same as Friday you can as long as Stringer and Langford rotate with a small . Jones has good pressure.
It would need to rotate and not just be those four.

Be very interesting to see what we do with Harry’s contract. He’s a free agent in 3 years, but do we want to offer 3 with his injury history? Doubt his manager etc will want to sign a 2 year deal which means he’s out of contract 1 year before free agency. And doubtful we only offer a 1 year extension. At this point I’d say 3 is the most likely option, but that comes with a fair amount of risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be very interesting to see what we do with Harry’s contract. He’s a free agent in 3 years, but do we want to offer 3 with his injury history? Doubt his manager etc will want to sign a 2 year deal which means he’s out of contract 1 year before free agency. And doubtful we only offer a 1 year extension. At this point I’d say 3 is the most likely option, but that comes with a fair amount of risk.
Give him 3

I reckon he’s part of our next premiership team. Just starting to see something special there in terms of his competitiveness and class.

I would love by year’s end to end to have a look at a Wright, Caddy, Jones, Stringer, Langford, Gresham, Davey forwardline with either J Davey or Wanganeen as a flexible small off the bench who can play back and forward. In that team we would play only only one ruck.

It looks too tall but it may be possible because Caddy and Jones actually chase and pressure hard, and Stringer is fit and willing.

Otherwise if we are fully fit there is only space for two of Caddy, Jones and Wright. I’m not convinced Wright will always be a walk up start as those other two come on. Wright needs to up his intensity and stay in the game more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back