AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Little chance he will debut this year - Its been a wasted development year because of COVID19 for some of our players, especially out two Irish rookies.
He probably wouldn't under normal circumstances either.

He would’ve been a massive chance under normal circumstances. Already has the tank to play the role of a high half forward. Ham got games last year and he was the size of a toothpick.
Under normal circumstances, we are in round 15 right now and he's been injured most of the year. Ham also put in a body of work in the VFL last year to justify it. Under normal circumstances he'd be playing a half in the VFL this week, 3 quarters next week and then a full game in AFL round 17 equivalent. That's even assuming he's fit to play a half in the VFL this week.

Under normal circumstances, we are in round 15 right now and he's been injured most of the year. Ham also put in a body of work in the VFL last year to justify it. Under normal circumstances he'd be playing a half in the VFL this week, 3 quarters next week and then a full game in AFL round 17 equivalent. That's even assuming he's fit to play a half in the VFL this week.
Body of work to justify it, he played only a handful of vfl games before he made his afl debut in round 5?

Body of work to justify it, he played only a handful of vfl games before he made his afl debut in round 5?
He was best on in the first two praccy's from memory and then had 23 in VFL round 1.

hey guys, sorry for intruding - i thought you'd like this

i grew up in and around gisborne and played cricket with and against jonesy. he's an absolutely lovely man. very kind and friendly. early on in his junior career as a footballer, he was basically told at gisborne he needed to mongrel up and throw his body around - in the interview posted here where he says he wasn't much until he grew, he's not entirely correct but footy opponents tried to beat him around a bit because he was a bit gentle. however he figured that out quickly enough, worked hard and has really gone from strength to strength. i'm bloody stoked to see him get to you.

and as a cricketer, he's not bad at all. i remember a u15s or 16s reps try-out, facing jonesy off the long run at Gardiner in Gisborne. rapid. i was about 5'7 at the time. bouncer, play and miss, bouncer, off the shoulder...then i nicked off. obviously i didn't make the team. jonesy was great fun. sam ramsay (carlton draftee, jonesy's best mate) was another gisborne ex-cricketer who actually broke my helmet in the juniors. if jonesy was rapid then rama was ex-*in-press. you might get the idea that im not much of a cricketer!

in short guys, you've got a really top bloke and i dearly hope he comes along.

hey guys, sorry for intruding - i thought you'd like this

i grew up in and around gisborne and played cricket with and against jonesy. he's an absolutely lovely man. very kind and friendly. early on in his junior career as a footballer, he was basically told at gisborne he needed to mongrel up and throw his body around - in the interview posted here where he says he wasn't much until he grew, he's not entirely correct but footy opponents tried to beat him around a bit because he was a bit gentle. however he figured that out quickly enough, worked hard and has really gone from strength to strength. i'm bloody stoked to see him get to you.

and as a cricketer, he's not bad at all. i remember a u15s or 16s reps try-out, facing jonesy off the long run at Gardiner in Gisborne. rapid. i was about 5'7 at the time. bouncer, play and miss, bouncer, off the shoulder...then i nicked off. obviously i didn't make the team. jonesy was great fun. sam ramsay (carlton draftee, jonesy's best mate) was another gisborne ex-cricketer who actually broke my helmet in the juniors. if jonesy was rapid then rama was ex-fu**in-press. you might get the idea that im not much of a cricketer!

in short guys, you've got a really top bloke and i dearly hope he comes along.

Doesn’t seem like the type who’s ever gonna be the main man of a forward line. The athletic upside could see him become a very good player however.

Still on track to join main training next week.

“Harrison is returning from a stress fracture and provided all goes well this week, he’ll join in and train with us and the main group next week, which is really pleasing.”

Joins "match sim" this week. Not sure if that's code for 'our only full contact training session this week' or if he means in a scratch match.

After overcoming a long-term stress fracture in his foot, exciting youngster Harrison Jones will make his long-awaited return to the main training group this week as he pushes for senior selection in 2020.

“Harrison has joined us in great shape here in the hub. He will be training fully with the group and should play some minutes this week in the match simulation,” Rundle said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idk when we'll hear about this weekend's scratch match, but the one from a week ago had him doing 40 minutes and ready for full games.

"Jones got 40 minutes this week, and pulled up well again. He's ready for full games now, which is great. He played mainly as a high half-forward, and his work-rate was really good. When the Western Bulldogs were moving out of defence, he intercepted a couple of times and showed great defensive pressure for the second week in a row. He also took a couple of contested marks, so it was a really pleasing game from him."

The article in the tweet three posts above has Tudor giving him big wraps as well. Surely we blood him before the end of the season?

Idk when we'll hear about this weekend's scratch match, but the one from a week ago had him doing 40 minutes and ready for full games.

"Jones got 40 minutes this week, and pulled up well again. He's ready for full games now, which is great. He played mainly as a high half-forward, and his work-rate was really good. When the Western Bulldogs were moving out of defence, he intercepted a couple of times and showed great defensive pressure for the second week in a row. He also took a couple of contested marks, so it was a really pleasing game from him."

The article in the tweet three posts above has Tudor giving him big wraps as well. Surely we blood him before the end of the season?
They seem to come out on the Monday for the most part.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we saw him in a week or two. Has an elite tank, will be fine fitness wise at afl level.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we saw him in a week or two. Has an elite tank, will be fine fitness wise at afl level.
Not sure he has the body to take the hits as yet though. I'd be ok for him playing a game or two to get a feel for it, but needs to fill out quite a bit physically for mine.

Give him and Gown a go this week for me. Don't care if it makes us woefully unbalanced, give them a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back