Essendon
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 19.25.27.png

C5E12173-C6A9-42B2-9744-AD993190E262.jpeg

FB94FF0F-4926-4742-B4EF-8A8920AF45F5.png

Blue = Elite
Green = Above Average
Yellow = Average
Red = Below Average

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “An athletic and developing player who can play in a range of positions because of his height and leap and has shown great dedication to any role he plays.”
HARRISON Jones emerged as a potential top 30 prospect after a promising showing at the AFL Under-18 National Championships playing as a key forward and showing his impressive lead up ability to take marks up the ground but also compete well at ground level. Jones spent time as a ruckman in his bottom-age year, and despite his height at 196cm, he did well because of his leap and great touch. He moved well at ground level and was not afraid to tackle either. Although he will not play as a ruck at AFL level, he will have some value to at least pinch-hit. Jones is very light so he has plenty of development left and with his application to various roles he could become anything, with a few clubs maybe going earlier than first thought because of his upside and lack of key position players in the 2019 draft.
STRENGTHS:
Marking
Leap
Versatility
Defensive Ability
Endurance
Speed
IMPROVEMENTS:
Consistency
Strength
Jones has a very nice leap and sticky hands once he gets a run and jump at the ball and his timing to jump is often perfect which would have come from his time rucking and you can tell it helps him also be creative with little tap ins and such inside 50 which can set up scoring opportunities. He has played mostly forward this year but with his athletic abilities he could play a range of roles and that would excite recruiters as a developing player that could become anything and with his strong marking and athleticism he could play on different types down back while also being a hard matchup as a forward. Jones is a willing tackler so he has the defensive pressure needed for the modern game and its always good to see young talls putting pressure on and sticking tackles and this was highlighted with an eight-tackle game against the Dandenong Stingrays late in the year. Jones tested well at the combine excelling in the vertical leap and yo-yo test and although the leap test is not a surprise the yo-yo was good to show his work rate and how he could become a talented lead-up forward at AFL level, he also tested well over 20m just to round out his fantastic athletic profile.
Jones is a player that is rated for his athletic profile and potential more so on his statistics and goals kicked as a forward, Jones only kicked four goals in the NAB League which certainly is not anything to write home about and although its good to play a high role as a forward and put on pressure he will need to kick more goals and win a bit more of the ball consistently to be a truly damaging player at the next level. Jones moves well for his size and uses the ball well more often than not so an improvement in winning more of the ball can only benefit him and his team. Jones is a raw prospect at 196cm and 78kg, and he will need time to develop his body before he plays consistent football at the next level, its always hard to judge contested marking in young players as it’s something usually developed through gaining experience and strength and gaining this skill could really set Jones apart at the next level and his tackling is already strong so with some added size he could really stick them and potentially be an imposing player down the track.
DRAFT RANGE: 20-35

Last edited:

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
So Hawthorn also has a player named Harrison Jones, who looks almost exactly the same. Looking forward to the pissing contest between the two clubs supporters to who has the 'best' Harrison Jones.

JONES%20Harrison.png
JONES-Harrison.jpg

So Hawthorn also has a player named Harrison Jones, who looks almost exactly the same. Looking forward to the pissing contest between the two clubs supporters to who has the 'best' Harrison Jones.

JONES%20Harrison.png
JONES-Harrison.jpg
i like how they’ve got their little hair wave going out on opposite sides - that will be helpful going forward.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing I'd like to know about this selection is why did we do a 1 pick swap with North giving them a round 2 selection next year?

Did they give up on Jones? Could they really have not understood that we would take him? Weren't they always linked to Comben?

I suspect we'll be getting one of those pick deals next year that makes no sense in isolation. I'm otherwise really struggling to understand.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing I'd like to know about this selection is why did we do a 1 pick swap with North giving them a round 2 selection next year?

Did they give up on Jones? Could they really have not understood that we would take him? Weren't they always linked to Comben?

I suspect we'll be getting one of those pick deals next year that makes no sense in isolation. I'm otherwise really struggling to understand.

what was the deal exactly?

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

We moved up to get ahead of Norf yes, but also Melbourne and Brisbane. We may have got an inkling that he wasn't lasting through those two others as well

We went from 35 to 30 and have up a 2nd for a 3rd.

We moved up 5 picks and got back a 3rd this year (50)

Back