AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

He's referring to his TAC Cup record, which is underwhelming.

15 games, 12-13 touches/game, 2-3 marks and 0.3 goals/game is hardly stuff to write home about.
He was pretty skinny, maybe his output didn't really reflect how he played.

You wouldn't mind drafting a skinny KPF who jumped into packs all day but couldn't really influence the game, knowing that a couple of preseasons in the gym would turn them into a player capable of crashing through blokes.

eDPS might be able to explain what it was we might've seen in him

He was pretty skinny, maybe his output didn't really reflect how he played.

You wouldn't mind drafting a skinny KPF who jumped into packs all day but couldn't really influence the game, knowing that a couple of preseasons in the gym would turn them into a player capable of crashing through blokes.

eDPS might be able to explain what it was we might've seen in him
Jones played better for Vic Metro surrounded by more quality teammates and delivery. A lot of games Jones played in at Calder where big losses with the ball not coming inside 50 much aswell.

Harry’s underage footy did not stink. He was a bloody good junior footballer in he played pivotal roles as a bottom ager in Gisborne’s 2016 Under 16 and 2018 Under 18 premierships....

He is a very good big moment player.....
He has grown from a tall mid size to a KPP size in the last few years.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost none of that has anything to do with whether he will be good.

He was well under a goal a game in representative footy. It hardly screams gun and honestly it doesn't reflect the guy we're seeing playing AFL where it basically looks like the sky is the limit.

I understand that he has impressed people as a junior.

Jones played better for Vic Metro surrounded by more quality teammates and delivery. A lot of games Jones played in at Calder where big losses with the ball not coming inside 50 much aswell.
Makes sense. Do you have his stats for Vic Metro vs his overall output in his draft year?

He's referring to his TAC Cup record, which is underwhelming.

15 games, 12-13 touches/game, 2-3 marks and 0.3 goals/game is hardly stuff to write home about.
In isolation yes. Shows why it is a good idea to dig a little deeper.:)

I wonder how long it will take before he gets the nickname 'Indi'. If it was me, I'd start walking around with a whip and wearing a fedora before someone thinks of a more lame nickname.

Wasn't Indiana the dog's name?

I’m not too worried if he becomes a genuine KPP or not. He clearly has a game that can work as a third tall, Tom Lynch (ADE) meets Gunston. I’d be happy if his peak is 1.2 goals a game but 16 touches, 7-8 marks linking half forward to wing.

Seems a perfect foil to Wright + Hooker. The latter replaced by Eyre/Baldwin in years to come.

I’m not too worried if he becomes a genuine KPP or not. He clearly has a game that can work as a third tall, Tom Lynch (ADE) meets Gunston. I’d be happy if his peak is 1.2 goals a game but 16 touches, 7-8 marks linking half forward to wing.

Seems a perfect foil to Wright + Hooker. The latter replaced by Eyre/Baldwin in years to come.

He seems plenty big enough to be a KP to me and seems like he goes in hard for the contested stuff as well as on the lead. No reason why he can't be a genuine KPF in my books. I think the 3rd tall gig is just a temporary thing for him whilst he's young and developing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems plenty big enough to be a KP to me and seems like he goes in hard for the contested stuff as well as on the lead. No reason why he can't be a genuine KPF in my books. I think the 3rd tall gig is just a temporary thing for him whilst he's young and developing.

More so than size is that he doesn’t seem to be a natural goal kicker.

The only thing that matters is his trajectory is going in the right direction, he's showing huge promise. At this point I couldn't give a toss what he did at u18s but he looks to be a very astute pick.

Given his size and the battering he'll cop week in week out as a KPF I expect he'll be rested a few times throughout the year but there's no doubt this kid has the tools and is worth being optimistic about.

The only thing that matters is his trajectory is going in the right direction, he's showing huge promise. At this point I couldn't give a toss what he did at u18s but he looks to be a very astute pick.

Given his size and the battering he'll cop week in week out as a KPF I expect he'll be rested a few times throughout the year but there's no doubt this kid has the tools and is worth being optimistic about.

Seeing as I'm the one that brought it up, most recently, I just want to clarify it was just a point of interest.

He looks every bit a top 10 pick when you put together the complete package of what he has shown in his first 2 games. It's also exactly what the astute watchers and our list manager said he was capable of. It rarely converts this quickly and this seamlessly for a skinny tall taken from 30 onwards.

It's all positive, from my perspective.

It gives me some hope knowing that Jones might get the 3rd or even 4th best defender from the opposition, assuming they go to Hooker, 2MP and Stringer before him. Being 196cm and having a great work ethic makes him a tough 3rd or 4th matchup. Might also help to protect him a bit and get some easier touches.

It gives me some hope knowing that Jones might get the 3rd or even 4th best defender from the opposition, assuming they go to Hooker, 2MP and Stringer before him. Being 196cm and having a great work ethic makes him a tough 3rd or 4th matchup. Might also help to protect him a bit and get some easier touches.
Oddly enough this is probably the main reason I want to keep Hooker forward. Our forward line is actually looking kinda dangerous. All 4 of them will have to be held accountable to the point where I feel like it’s inevitable that one of them gets off the chain every week.

Oddly enough this is probably the main reason I want to keep Hooker forward. Our forward line is actually looking kinda dangerous. All 4 of them will have to be held accountable to the point where I feel like it’s inevitable that one of them gets off the chain every week.

Strangely the last time we had a well functioning forward-line was .... 2017, with Hooker forward.

I know there's been a few other things change, but having a tall that can stand and wrestle under a high ball, and will always hit a contest really does make that forward group function so much better.

Hooker might be close to the end, but his ability to hold his own in a one-on-one contest, take a contested mark, and crash through a pack makes a huge difference to the guys around him. If Wright can take that on-board, he has the size and hands to do the same for the next 5 years, giving guys like Jones so much more room to run and lead.

Suspect we have a very good one here. His game looks simple. Covers territory well, runs straight lines at the footy and attacks it for fun.

Does anyone know... does he have massive hands? Seems like he would have massive hands.

l came here to do some supercoach research cause I ate too much pizza last nite watching Carlton game and woke early.
This video is great. I had no idea Jones was such a goer. If some of those marks stuck I'd be thinking he was 5 years in the system. Seems you have a great pick there. I know he's not a first year but gee. He and Cox are very exciting for you. It would be nice to see you drag yourself out of the mire. Life has been very unfair to the bombers for a long time.

Make no mistake I don't like the bombers:cool::) But you have served more than your time. Best of luck going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back