AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Because lord knows all of the wins we've gotten from playing Townsend this year. If he was not out there teaching team defence, showing everything he brings each time he almost impacts a contest he is too slow to actually impact, almost taking a mark he is no good enough to actually take we'd be lost. Rudderless!

Nothing brings the bile to the back of my throat like watching us game after game year after year play list cloggers, rejected by other clubs for a list of deficiencies as long as their list of achievements. Inventing bullshit, irrelevant roles so some idiot coach can try to live his fantasy that he is Australia's Billy Bean, not having the first idea of what application of those principles would look like at AFL level.

Playing them in roles which we could be using to develop all of the players we'll never developed. How many games between Baguley, Green, Brown and Townsend has it been? Must be getting close to 100 games. Not a bad return for 2 finals appearances in which we managed to get one losing margin under 10 goals.

Last edited:

I’ve seen a fair bit of Harry’s junior footy....

He is a really smart player and has the knack of kicking a goal when his team really needs it.....

He will still be light and isn’t ready yet... probably will need another two pre seasons.

Having said that, the bombers have nothing to lose if they play him as a running half forward. It’ll be a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because lord knows all of the wins we've gotten from playing Townsend this year. If he was not out there teaching team defence, showing everything he brings each time he almost impacts a contest he is too slow to actually impact, almost taking a mark he is no good enough to actually take we'd be lost. Rudderless!

Nothing brings the bile to the back of my throat like watching us game after game year after year play list cloggers, rejected by other clubs for a list of deficiencies as long as their list of achievements. Inventing bullshit, irrelevant roles so some idiot coach can try to live his fantasy that he is Australia's Billy Bean, not having the first idea of what application of those principles would look like at AFL level.

Playing them in roles which we could be using to develop all of the players we'll never developed. How many games between Baguley, Green, Brown and Townsend has it been? Must be getting close to 100 games. Not a bad return for 2 finals appearances in which we managed to get one losing margin under 10 goals.

So playing young blokes who have come back from injury and unproven as well as not quite being ready is what happens across all clubs ?
Rage about the few fringe players all you want but playing Jones who has missed 3 or 4 months of the back of a few Micky mouse scratch matches is just stupid. Find someone on our list who has been fit to rage about.

So playing young blokes who have come back from injury and unproven as well as not quite being ready is what happens across all clubs ?
Rage about the few fringe players all you want but playing Jones who has missed 3 or 4 months of the back of a few Micky mouse scratch matches is just stupid. Find someone on our list who has been fit to rage about.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

As usual it isn't about any individual player and you know that. It's a failed mentality.

It's been rinse and repeat for 7 years.

The results speak for themselves and no amount of football dogma will change that.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

As usual it isn't about any individual player and you know that. It's a failed mentality.

It's been rinse and repeat for 7 years.

The results speak for themselves and no amount of football dogma will change that.

I know but it is still only a minor part of the issue. I would say it has been longer than 7 years but at the end of the day these problem players taking up 100 games but our inability to use earlier picks on players who may have actually made an impact rather than blokes who may be this or may be that or could play midfield. Midfielders who can not kick. Flankers who may be able to play midfield. Flankers who can not play at all and show no physical presence at all. And of course accepting our senior players just running their own race.

This kid has been back in the scratch matches for a couple of weeks now, but then didn't play this past weekend?

There was a bye weekend before last, so I can't see him needing to be managed, and we're a week off our next senior game, so again no need to be managed.

Please don't be injured 🤞🤞

This kid has been back in the scratch matches for a couple of weeks now, but then didn't play this past weekend?

There was a bye weekend before last, so I can't see him needing to be managed, and we're a week off our next senior game, so again no need to be managed.

Please don't be injured 🤞🤞
Managed to debut? Hopefully?

Managed to debut? Hopefully?
He played one scratch on around 16/8 and one around 22/8. Then nothing until about 6/9, and nothing again until potentially next weekend ~19/9. (Using dates rather than rounds due to condensed fixtures.) So basically two games in a month with a couple of lay offs in-between.

It actually makes a debut seem less likely, if indeed it's still possible (hoping he's not injured).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inventing bullshit, irrelevant roles so some idiot coach can try to live his fantasy that he is Australia's Billy Bean
Agree, it's been an Essendon thing for far too long.

Even Hird was doing it with Welsh and McVeigh, trying to keep them in the side in defensive forward roles when A - they weren't up to it and B - we had plenty of others to fill that role if we actually needed it.

What?

Emergencies: Josh Begley, Andrew Phillips, Cale Hooker, Kobe Mutch
AFL website initially had Hooker but now has Jones instead. Weird.

Can the more knowledgable than I enlighten me as to the style of player that Harrison is? Is he a genuine KPF? will he be a full forward/centre half forward or is he more a Gunston flanker who could play those key posts at a pinch?

I am by no means the 'most' enlightened, but from the small bits I've seen/read/heard from others, somewhere between a 2nd/3rd forward. Wouldn't call him a 'genuine' KPF and certainly not a #1 target by any means. Probably plays more like a 3rd forward, but has the size to eventually be a 2nd, depending on how he physically develops. Leading and presenting up the ground is his reported strength.

Can the more knowledgable than I enlighten me as to the style of player that Harrison is? Is he a genuine KPF? will he be a full forward/centre half forward or is he more a Gunston flanker who could play those key posts at a pinch?

I think you’ve nailed it with a Gunston type.... Harry is a smart tall hard runner... has a handy knack of kicking goals at the right time.

He will still bob up and take a few pack marks here and there...

Really good fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back