AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Fit and mobile are two things that weren’t in neagles dna.

The goal kicking is similar.

Same with Courtney Johns.

But we'll just ignore that and focus in the fact the guy is fit & compare him to champions instead :thumbsu:

But we'll just ignore that and focus in the fact the guy is fit & compare him to champions instead :thumbsu:
Come back in 4 years and let’s see what he’s turned into. He’s already well ahead of Johns and Neagle because he has an afl ready tank.

Last edited:

I thought similar things reading on here trying to work out why we are so confident we have a player here. Whatever he will be it seems like he will be doing it as an undersized KPF and a light one at that. Then there's not too much about his actual ability to kick goals.

I thought similar things reading on here trying to work out why we are so confident we have a player here. Whatever he will be it seems like he will be doing it as an undersized KPF and a light one at that. Then there's not too much about his actual ability to kick goals.
You don’t have to be 200cm to be a key forward 195cm, if you can jump its more than enough height, especially when he’ll play up the ground.
Jack darling 191cm
Oscar Allen 194cm
Jack Riewoldt 193cm
Nick Riewoldt 193cm
Aaron Naughton 195cm
Jake Riccardi 195cm

You don’t have to be 200cm to be a key forward 195cm, if you can jump its more than enough height, especially when he’ll play up the ground.
Jack darling 191cm
Oscar Allen 194cm
Jack Riewoldt 193cm
Nick Riewoldt 193cm
Aaron Naughton 195cm
Jake Riccardi 195cm
Yes and I get that. Not many of them are 80kgs so there's long way to go till he's Darling size.

I'm not saying they are insurmountable obstacles just that they aren't natural advantages. Also that I haven't read much about his actual football ability / forward craft - Morso his athletic qualities.

Which of the player's you've listed would you compare him too in terms of pkaui style? Naughton?

Yes and I get that. Not many of them are 80kgs so there's long way to go till he's Darling size.

I'm not saying they are insurmountable obstacles just that they aren't natural advantages. Also that I haven't read much about his actual football ability / forward craft - Morso his athletic qualities.

Which of the player's you've listed would you compare him too in terms of pkaui style? Naughton?
Yeah darling was a man child, most of the others were wafer thin when they started aswell. He’ll most likely play up the ground while he puts on size over the next 2-3 pre seasons. He’s quick on the lead, good hands out in front and a nice kick. Playing style would probably be like Darling or N Riewoldt getting up the ground and getting involved in scoring chains.

Not sure if you saw this earlier - sounds more Nick Reiwoldt hard running leading type than a Naughton who regularly launches over a pack. Sounds like a guy who'll play as a roaming CHF guy more than a traditional FF to me.

I’m suprised you didn’t tag me haha

The tall forward had a promising showing at the AFL Under-18 National Championships playing as a key forward and showing his impressive lead up ability to take marks up the ground but also compete well at ground level. Jones spent time as a ruckman in his bottom-age year, and despite his height at 194cm, he did well because of his leap and great touch. He moved well at ground level and was not afraid to tackle either. Although he will not play as a ruck at AFL level, he will have some value to at least pinch-hit. Jones is very light so he has plenty of development left and with his application to various roles he could become anything, with a few clubs maybe going earlier than first thought because of his upside and lack of key position players in the 2019 draft.

STRENGTHS:

Marking
Leap
Versatility
Defensive Ability
Endurance
Speed

IMPROVEMENTS:

Consistency
Strength

Jones has a very nice leap and sticky hands once he gets a run and jump at the ball and his timing to jump is often perfect which would have come from his time rucking and you can tell it helps him also be creative with little tap ins and such inside 50 which can set up scoring opportunities. He has played mostly forward this year but with his athletic abilities he could play a range of roles and that would excite recruiters as a developing player that could become anything and with his strong marking and athleticism he could play on different types down back while also being a hard matchup as a forward. Jones is a willing tackler so he has the defensive pressure needed for the modern game and its always good to see young talls putting pressure on and sticking tackles and this was highlighted with an eight-tackle game against the Dandenong Stingrays late in the year. Jones tested well at the combine excelling in the vertical leap and yo-yo test and although the leap test is not a surprise the yo-yo was good to show his work rate and how he could become a talented lead-up forward at AFL level, he also tested well over 20m just to round out his fantastic athletic profile.

Jones is a player that is rated for his athletic profile and potential more so on his statistics and goals kicked as a forward, Jones only kicked four goals in the NAB League which certainly is not anything to write home about and although its good to play a high role as a forward and put on pressure he will need to kick more goals and win a bit more of the ball consistently to be a truly damaging player at the next level. Jones moves well for his size and uses the ball well more often than not so an improvement in winning more of the ball can only benefit him and his team. Jones is a raw prospect at 194cm and 75kg, and he will need time to develop his body before he plays consistent football at the next level, its always hard to judge contested marking in young players as it’s something usually developed through gaining experience and strength and gaining this skill could really set Jones apart at the next level and his tackling is already strong so wth some added size he could really stick them and potentially be an imposing player down the track.

Yeah darling was a man child, most of the others were wafer thin when they started aswell. He’ll most likely play up the ground while he puts on size over the next 2-3 pre seasons. He’s quick on the lead, good hands out in front and a nice kick. Playing style would probably be like Darling or N Riewoldt getting up the ground and getting involved in scoring chains.
b b bbut you can't compare him to a superstar like riewoldt

Weird that someone that had clearly never seen the kid play comes into this thread to tell people that have seen him play that their player comparison is wrong.

good contribution

So who here has seen him play and if he is the second coming of Nick Reiwoldt how does regular Joe from BigFooty understand this but not every recruiter from every other club that picked before us in the draft?

Build wise he’s like Jay Schultz, wide shoulders, narrow core. Play style looks like a taller Gunston but with Lynch (ADE) leading patterns on a flank.

Its pretty hard to do accurate player comparisons cause football has only been played the way currently since the late naughties. Unless you’re a monster like Hawkins/Dixon/Lynch, you’re going to have to play a hybrid role and the breadth of KP size players who have done that effectively the last ten years is probably only 40
-50 deep. Not a lot to work with.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry but who said he was the second coming of nick riewoldt?

All and sundry in here if one even tries to compare him to someone that wasn't a champion.

"Have you seen him play?"
"He's just like Richo and Roo!"

Puh lease.

So is he ready for some games next year?

I mean, what do you call “ready”?
Physically, no he won’t be. But I’d say alll things considered he’d probably play a bit still.
Also gotta factor in our current list, and the unfortunate rule that we do have to pick 22 guys each week.

Santoz kind of has a point.

It's always fraught to compare even the style of players to champions.

Riewoldt was an absolute freak. He was an amazing endurance athlete but he carried a minimum 93-95kgs while doing it and he had a power game. It's not the sexiest style but it's unique and had as much impact as anyone from the same era when they were all at their respective bests (and Riewoldt probably played 50 to 100 more great games than any of his opponents).

What I would say about Jones based on what I have seen and read is that he plays the game like Adelaide's Tom Lynch. That's the style. He seems to me to have a body shape, size and athletic profile that is somewhere between Gunston and Taberner. He tests as a more dynamic athlete than either of those players.

To my eye he looks more 196cm, which is his original listing, and on the tall side for a KPP than he does Gunston, Ridley, Mundy and Hurley who are all around that 192cm/194cm mark.

I can see how Jones could develop to the point that he could hold down a key post primarily because of his running ability, size and his leap. That's a long way off, though, and it might be that he does most of his best work as an old fashioned HF/CHF.

Last edited:
All and sundry in here if one even tries to compare him to someone that wasn't a champion.

"Have you seen him play?"
"He's just like Richo and Roo!"

Puh lease.

Who has actually said he is as good as them ?. Pretty sure he is being compared to style of forward he could be. You do not have to be Reidwalt or Richo to be a lead up forward. That is what he does. He is mobile and a decent mark on the lead. He is not a big brute.

I have seen him him play. One reason he has not been a massive goal kicker has been he has also done his share of ruck work. has also played a lot of game time up the ground more in a CHF role. I like his potential. Although he is not a contested mark beast he is a good mark , he is not slow and the has some athletic ability.

Last edited:
Santoz kind of has a point.

It's always fraught to compare even the style of players to champions.

Riewoldt was an absolute freak. He was an amazing endurance athlete but he carried a minimum 93-95kgs while doing it and he had a power game. It's not the sexiest style but it's unique and had as much impact as anyone from the same era when they were all at their respective bests (and Riewoldt probably played 50 to 100 more great games than any of his opponents).

What I would say about Jones based on what I have seen and read is that he plays the game like Adelaide's Tom Lynch. That's the style. He seems to me to have a body shape, size and athletic profile that is somewhere between Gunston and Taberner. He tests as a more dynamic athlete than either of those players.

To my eye he looks more 196cm, which is his original listing, and on the tall side for a KPP than he does Gunston, Ridley, Mundy and Hurley who are all around that 192cm/194cm mark.

I can see how Jones could develop to the point that he could hold down a key post primarily because of his running ability, size and his leap. That's a long way off, though, and it might be that he does most of his best work as an old fashioned HF/CHF.

I think you can compare styles. Stewart plays in the style of Nick Riewoldt but is not Nick.
While I agree it is a stretch to be hoping he is the number 1 gun you do not always need an absolute gun KPF even though it would be nice. Two good B grade lead up forwards would be 1000% better than what we have had to put on the field in the last two seasons.

I thought he looked okay in the pre-season Games. Looked very skinny and raw but provided a target.

I’d be looking at getting 10 games into him next season.

Who has actually said he is as good as them ?. Pretty sure he is being compared to style of forward he could be. You do not have to be Reidwalt or Richo to be a lead up forward. That is what he does. He is mobile and a decent mark on the lead. He is not a big brute.

I have seen him him play. One reason he has not been a massive goal kicker has been he has also done his share of ruck work. has also played a lot of game time up the ground more in a CHF role. I like his potential. Although he is not a contested mark beast he is a good mark , he is not slow and the has some athletic ability.

The style he could be?

They (Richo & Roo - the players many in here have either likened him to or said he's modelled his game on) were #1 key targets with the aforementioned endurance etc.

He's a 3rd option at best and will be for his career.

And saying he doesn't kick goals because he plays a CHF role is an absolute cop out. Reiwoldt & Richo both played their fair share of CHF and, most importantly, kicked a ton of goals for their respective sides.

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic for his future, but I'm not drinking the bathwater many in here have been downing by the litre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back