My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 22, Duckworth

Last edited by a moderator:

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The style he could be?

They (Richo & Roo - the players many in here have either likened him to or said he's modelled his game on) were #1 key targets with the aforementioned endurance etc.

He's a 3rd option at best and will be for his career.

And saying he doesn't kick goals because he plays a CHF role is an absolute cop out. Reiwoldt & Richo both played their fair share of CHF and, most importantly, kicked a ton of goals for their respective sides.

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic for his future, but I'm not drinking the bathwater many in here have been downing by the litre.

kid hasn’t even got on the park yet for anyone to assess his future??? This year was always going to be a development year. You don’t have to be a gun straight off the bat to make it. What age did your boy Ben Brown come into the league to stamp his authority?

nick Riewoldt didn’t even win rising star award in his first year whilst he was being developed, I think he had that knee issue.

scott Lucas another key forward who had to develop in the magoos for over a year maybe 2 before he became a regular.

wait to assess after another year or 2, not comparing him to anyone either at this point in time.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Santoz kind of has a point.

It's always fraught to compare even the style of players to champions.

Riewoldt was an absolute freak. He was an amazing endurance athlete but he carried a minimum 93-95kgs while doing it and he had a power game. It's not the sexiest style but it's unique and had as much impact as anyone from the same era when they were all at their respective bests (and Riewoldt probably played 50 to 100 more great games than any of his opponents).

What I would say about Jones based on what I have seen and read is that he plays the game like Adelaide's Tom Lynch. That's the style. He seems to me to have a body shape, size and athletic profile that is somewhere between Gunston and Taberner. He tests as a more dynamic athlete than either of those players.

To my eye he looks more 196cm, which is his original listing, and on the tall side for a KPP than he does Gunston, Ridley, Mundy and Hurley who are all around that 192cm/194cm mark.

I can see how Jones could develop to the point that he could hold down a key post primarily because of his running ability, size and his leap. That's a long way off, though, and it might be that he does most of his best work as an old fashioned HF/CHF.

Nah...nah santoz has made no point at all.

No one had said he is Roo or Richo in terms of talent. despite this being said by multiple posters over and over.

For example josh toy and Luke tapscot were compared to Luke hodge during the draft. Why? Because they had ripper 50m boots. No one thought they were doing to be the greatest players of all time. It is a easy way to create a picture of a player type.

if you ask who do they play like. Saying a player they play like is the ideal response. He’s an athletic fwd - roo/richo easy to create this picture. If you want to know how good they are.....that is another question.

saying he is jay neagle or Courtney johns because he hasn’t kicked enough goals in 8 games? What? He is nothing like these players for style.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah...nah santoz has made no point at all.

No one had said he is Roo or Richo in terms of talent. despite this being said by multiple posters over and over.

For example josh toy and Luke tapscot were compared to Luke hodge during the draft. Why? Because they had ripper 50m boots. No one thought they were doing to be the greatest players of all time. It is a easy way to create a picture of a player type.

if you ask who do they play like. Saying a player they play like is the ideal response. He’s an athletic fwd - roo/richo easy to create this picture. If you want to know how good they are.....that is another question.

saying he is jay neagle or Courtney johns because he hasn’t kicked enough goals in 8 games? What? He is nothing like these players for style.

It's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of Riewoldt to compare a kid to him just because he plays a high role.

I don't see how a player whose record as a junior looks nothing like Riewoldt is a good comparison.

It's a mistake I see all the time with juniors including from paid commentators (where it is at it's most heinous). If you can't come up with a better comparison than a champion for anyone but the prodigies, try harder.

I've seen Bont, Fyfe, Danger, Judd, Dusty, JPK far too regularly considering there have been so few players at that level.

Last edited:

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of Riewoldt to compare a kid to him just because he plays a high role.

I don't see how a player whose record as a junior looks nothing like Riewoldt is a good comparison.

It’s not just because he plays a high role though. It’s because he has elite Cardio.

roo and rich are the most well known for this. If this kid makes it he will be a run them into the ground type fwd not a stay at home forward like neagle

The style he could be?

They (Richo & Roo - the players many in here have either likened him to or said he's modelled his game on) were #1 key targets with the aforementioned endurance etc.

He's a 3rd option at best and will be for his career.

And saying he doesn't kick goals because he plays a CHF role is an absolute cop out. Reiwoldt & Richo both played their fair share of CHF and, most importantly, kicked a ton of goals for their respective sides.

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic for his future, but I'm not drinking the bathwater many in here have been downing by the litre.

No you have gone way the other way without evidence.

Saying he does not kick goals because he has played CHF is not a cop out. It is a fact. You have used two champion players to try and make a point yet no one is saying Jones is a champion. They are saying he will play in a lead up style. There are styles of players. If you want to go down the champion path Reiwoldt played a different style to Lockett.
Stewart plays a lead up style but he is not Reiwodlt. Your complaint is more semantics.

I can not find one comment where anyone has said he is or will be a super star. All they have said as he plays the forward positions in the same way that a few super stars have. That is not saying he is as good as them at it.

You asked if anyone had actually seen him play more than 5 games yet you say part of my opinion is a cop out. So do you want to hear from someone who may have seen him or are you just going to look at a stats sheet and say he is a 3rd tall forward ?.
No one is drinking any bath water here. Not one person has said he will be a super star. They are just trying to work out what role he may play. Not that I like comparisons but whenever you ask what a young player may play like you generally get a comparison to a style a good player plays.

My opinion. Has the potential to be a good leading forward. He is mobile. He can take a strong mark but will never be a big brute who will stand at FF and take contested marks. He also works pretty hard with his pressure. Would think he can be a decent B grade KPF and work well if he had another decent B grade KPF in there with him. He can also have a spell in the ruck if need be but that is not his strong point and would really not want to be rucking against a genuine ruck.
His endurance testing says he can be a player who will get up and down the ground.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Name me some key forwards that have had elite endurance and can run all day using multiple leads to burn out opponents
Ashley Hansen (WCE) Mark Stevens (NM/Adel) and Brad Miller (Melb/Rich) were predominately lead up key forwards.
All played 100+ games and were serviceable for their teams.

Hansen was 198cm as well so is probably a good comparison.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s not just because he plays a high role though. It’s because he has elite Cardio.

roo and rich are the most well known for this. If this kid makes it he will be a run them into the ground type fwd not a stay at home forward like neagle

Most players who play a high forward role have something close to an elite engine.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

It's a mistake I see all the time with juniors including from paid commentators (where it is at it's most heinous). If you can't come up with a better comparison than a champion for anyone but the prodigies, try harder.

I've seen Bont, Fyfe, Danger, Judd, Dusty, JPK far too regularly considering there have been so few players at that level.
For all of Knightmare's short comings, he is quite good at suggesting who player x plays like and then a type of output one should expect from the potential draftee.

I really think you are reading this too literally.
It is pretty basic really. You have your champion mobile forwards like Nick or Richo who have a big tank , kicks lots of goals and also have been able to stand tall in the goal square. You have the next level down who have the same endurance qualities but not the same skill level or footy smarts. they are still lead up forwards.
It is always known as a Riewoldt style as you are hardly going to call it the Tom McDonald style. It tends to be the style of the best players that draw comparisons. I do not like player comparisons. I prefer tp just call him a mobile lead up forward.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I really think you are reading this too literally.
It is pretty basic really. You have your champion mobile forwards like Nick or Richo who have a big tank , kicks lots of goals and also have been able to stand tall in the goal square. You have the next level down who have the same endurance qualities but not the same skill level or footy smarts. they are still lead up forwards.
It is always known as a Riewoldt style as you are hardly going to call it the Tom McDonald style. It tends to be the style of the best players that draw comparisons. I do not like player comparisons. I prefer tp just call him a mobile lead up forward.

Both had genuine games as power forwards who could also use their respective engines to play high.

Why use these guys to highlight one aspect of the game when they were elite at both?

Both had genuine games as power forwards who could also use their respective engines to play high.

Why use these guys to highlight one aspect of the game when they were elite at both?

Like I said I do not but it is really semantics.
You would not find many comments where I have compared a young player to someone who has already played.
Personally I just read it for what it is. I do not really worry about the fact there is a 99% chance the player is never going to get to the level of the player whos style is being used for comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
It is fascinating that some opt for a comparison to players the standard of Riewoldt because of “elite running” and having a “tank”.

Mitch Brown has “elite running” and has a “tank”.

Why use Riewoldt as a comparison and not Brown?

Is it because one suits a narrative and the other doesn’t?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
FWIW I’m with you Ant. I think what we are talking about is archetypes. It’s like saying which Beatle are you or are you more of a Ross, Chandler or Joey.

If you want a quick comparison, name the icon who is the nearest reference point. People will actually understand it quickly and surely no one (least of all the complainers here) will actually think “oh my god, there there’s a doppelgänger Paul Salmon coming through who is exactly the same and no better or worse”.

If you believe a youngster is actually a super star in the making you would say “this kid is the next Nick Riewoldt” not “he’s a Nick Riewoldt type”.

(2MP is a Paul Salmon type btw)

Personally I’m probably a Chandler type even tho he’s hopefully more of a nob, and I don’t have any oversized button up shirts, and I really don’t like Friends. It’s still close enough because I’m a bit of an uptight smart ass - not a big sad sooky pushover or a good looking, easy going bro with a tiny IQ.

It’s manifestly unfair for people who don’t pay attention to ask for a player comparison and then push back on the people who do the leg work on it. Happens all the time.

I made a post previously about how Knightmare in this case evaluated Lukosious as the best key position forward he’s ever seen and he’s basically turned out to be a poor man’s Ridley. That evaluation was wrong but I’m not going to hang s**t on him for making it.

I don't get what the controversy is.

Saying someone can style their game on a star player doesn't seem unreasonable. Seems better to compare to someone who people might be familiar with rather than their exact clone who played 3 games in the 90s.

I don't see anyone claiming he'll be the same quality, or have the sort of career or impact of someone like N Riewoldt or whoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back