Senior 23. Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

What's with all these threads?

He had a bad game it's not the end of the world.

We put in a good performance 2 players down.

Everyone has had bad games.

Too early to write him off, has a few things to work on.

Kids never used to play seniors this early

Any player picked at #1 is going to be under the microscope for ever - Carlton could have gone for Sasche or whatever his name is at #2 etc etc...No criticism is unfair if it based on proper context and some reference to the facts.

Only one poster even bothering to refer to actual on field contribution - but others happy to contribute their 'feelings' to a conversation about a players performance. Weitering had 9 disposals against Richmond - a poor outcome for him and his high standards he wasn't alone in being hung out to dry by the failure of his team mates downfield to stick tackles. 71 I50 gentlemen - versus 40 odd from Carlton. 71 tackles versus 47 from Carlton....5 players from Carlton made 65% of total tackles in the game - what were the rest doing?

Too little respect and acknowledgement of Richmond's forward pressure game in the criticism of Weitering - which can be leveled equally and more so against each and every defender - except Simpson in that game. It was a collective sub par effort against a collective excellent performance from Richmond. How many flying leaps from Jones led to spillages to advantage of Richmond who had set up for this ...? How good was Plowman's game anyone bother to look? How about Byrne and Mulletts inability to move the ball forward compared to Richmond's counterparts?

Hang on it's not all about stats, especially for a defender. That's terribly simplistic to base it all on stats.

And Rance to my eye seems a lot more athletic for what it's worth.

But take your point it took Rance time.

Clearly a players performance is not all based on stats but it is bloody hard to say he played a bad game when he is taking double figure marks and racking up over 25 touches.

Of course it is clearly a lot more accurate to discuss his body language (viewed on TV) or his lack of possessions (when you don't know his role) or just offer an unsupported opinion to say he is no good than to accept "stats" which show he is.

Can't believe I'm taking the time to comment in this unnecessary thread, but I think he's fine and will be fine moving forward (in time, not on the ground).
A 20yo KPD with 43 games to his name and maybe 6 or so have been below average. First time I can recall him having what might be considered poor body language. If he's still like this this week and/or next, then I might concern myself with it.

It honestly feels like people who have spent two years with their eyes shut have now suddenly opened them and are pissed about it.

Weitering struggles man on man, especially against leads. It's why we had to move him off Membrey in the past (most notably). He's not the super ready gun defender this board has largely claimed. Yes the kid actually has some flaws to his game that require some work, as you'd expect with most kids

Any player picked at #1 is going to be under the microscope for ever - Carlton could have gone for Sasche or whatever his name is at #2 etc etc...No criticism is unfair if it based on proper context and some reference to the facts.

Only one poster even bothering to refer to actual on field contribution - but others happy to contribute their 'feelings' to a conversation about a players performance. Weitering had 9 disposals against Richmond - a poor outcome for him and his high standards he wasn't alone in being hung out to dry by the failure of his team mates downfield to stick tackles. 71 I50 gentlemen - versus 40 odd from Carlton. 71 tackles versus 47 from Carlton....5 players from Carlton made 65% of total tackles in the game - what were the rest doing?

Too little respect and acknowledgement of Richmond's forward pressure game in the criticism of Weitering - which can be leveled equally and more so against each and every defender - except Simpson in that game. It was a collective sub par effort against a collective excellent performance from Richmond. How many flying leaps from Jones led to spillages to advantage of Richmond who had set up for this ...? How good was Plowman's game anyone bother to look? How about Byrne and Mulletts inability to move the ball forward compared to Richmond's counterparts?
fans aren't stats gurus - * that - sit me next to a statistician at the ground and I'll tell you which one of us has actually seen the game

Nervous Nellie thread is nervous ......

I’m not impressed with the body language but the form on one outing I can abide .... big deal so he had a bad game .... maybe he had a fight with his girlfriend, maybe he left his superman underpants at home.

He’s a bloody good player and he is in his third year ..... stay calm and take a panadol

Geez I’d hate to be an AFL footballer.

fans aren't stats gurus - **** that - sit me next to a statistician at the ground and I'll tell you which one of us has actually seen the game

Fans are flappers in the wind.

:think:

the only reason I looked at the stats this week was because you said to me I was wrong about the better team losing. You were right - I went to the stats and figured out where all the good work I was seeing as a fan fell down - because of what I didn't see - and that was more than half the side was running one way and more than half the side was not tackling. In fact I can tell you who the players are that will never ever likely stick a tackle and force their team mates pretty much every time to cover for them.

but you probably cant handle the truth.:moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I'm taking the time to comment in this unnecessary thread, but I think he's fine and will be fine moving forward (in time, not on the ground).
A 20yo KPD with 43 games to his name and maybe 6 or so have been below average. First time I can recall him having what might be considered poor body language. If he's still like this this week and/or next, then I might concern myself with it.

Not a nervous Nellie .... kudos

The criticism is fair because he is not performing to his usual standard.

The reasons why this is happening may be unfair, ergo not being able to settle in a position long enough and so on and so forth.

The guy is talented and his first year was amazing but that was 2 seasons ago now.

the only reason I looked at the stats this week was because you said to me I was wrong about the better team losing. You were right - I went to the stats and figured out where all the good work I was seeing as a fan fell down - because of what I didn't see - and that was more than half the side was running one way and more than half the side was not tackling. In fact I can tell you who the players are that will never ever likely stick a tackle and force their team mates pretty much every time to cover for them.

the psychic stats sheet - foreseeing a players future - we all know the players that go harder than others - don't need any stats for that

humpty dumpty sat on a wall because we want him on that wall, we need him on that wall............

Reports are that jake lever performed poorly on the weekend. Jake is arguably the best young intercept defender going around . Intercept defenders are highly rated, and we have 2 excellent examples in weitering and marchbank. I dont think we should lightly throw this flexibility away, either by trading him or moving him to the forward line permanently . Both have been suggested on BF in recent days.
Lets keep this in context
1 we were playing a great side in great form
2 the tigers had an extraordinary number of forward entries, due to their midfield dominance
3 the tigers are renowned for their excellent forward pressure, trapping the ball inside F50. This does not play to the strengths of an intercept defender

Jacob was doing huge gps numbers last year, showing that his aerobic capacity is excellent, even at his young age. Physically he is able to perform his assigned role.

It was interesting the Judd when asked on footy classified this week, stated that intercept mark defenders are so important in todays game that you can justify spending 1.2m per year, even though they dont necessarily play on the best forward , often being third man up and setting up play through rebound.

Marchbank is streets ahead of Weitering right now. His reading of the play and marking are both far superior. The only area Weitering has Marchbank covered is kicking

Marchbank is also a couple of years older.

Holistically speaking (for all players), I think the criticism is AND isn't warranted.

There is nothing wrong with discussing a player's weaknesses and/or pointing out a poor performance.

Of course, you have to not get carried away and focus on 1 weakness when the player has 10 strengths (unless that 1 weakness makes them unplayable). And also if a player had 10 good games, don't overreact when they have 1 stinker, it happens to everyone.

On top of that, when you are talking about young players, you just have to remember that with age they will get fitter, stronger and more experienced. I think in the first 2-3 seasons, all you need to see that the building blocks are there. They don't need to be dominant players, but they need to look like they could/will be.

Weiters blew away me away in 2016. And while his trajectory has stalled, he is still just 20yo. He might need to get stronger before he's dominating the one-one-ones. Maybe he will never be quick enough to play on the leading forwards, but for all of that he's got some insane CHB/F skills and the coaches will work out how best to use him; maximising his strengths and minimising his weaknesses.

Same goes for Silvagni, but his strengths are not as good as Weiterbot's and his weaknesses are probably bigger. He is slow, but he is clever. I had hoped he would become Gunston-esque, but I don't think he'll ever have the speed. Maybe he is more of a taller, less athletic/agile LeCras (who I think plays much taller than his small forward stature). Some leading, strong one-on-one, very clean on the deck. No standout trait, but a neat footballer who can produce decent output. There's no gauarntee that he makes it, and I don't know if he'll ever be a star. But he's kicked ~ a goal a game as a scrawny 18/19yo kid, and so there's enough there to suggest he could kick 35-40 goals a year once he's fully developed. May not happen, but he deserves the chance to find out.

TL;DR - Criticism is welcome, as long as you're not overreacting. Put it into perspective and understand that players rarely peak by 21.

The criticism is fair because he is not performing to his usual standard.

The reasons why this is happening may be unfair, ergo not being able to settle in a position long enough and so on and so forth.

The guy is talented and his first year was amazing but that was 2 seasons ago now.

For a whole 1 game in a row now!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back