Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
This is an amazing pickup!

2018 Jesse Hogan is exactly what GWS needs. A lead-up centre half forward who will get 20 possessions 10 marks 1 goal. Suddenly, this team will be good at moving the ball from D50 to F50.

Unclear if we are getting 2018 Jesse Hogan or something else, but a straight swap for Zac Langdon is a smart move.

I haven’t rated Leon as a strategic coach for years, but his ability to get his players to improve their games and play with grit has always been a strength, so in that respect he is the perfect coach for Jesse Hogan.

Great move.

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
This is an amazing pickup!

2018 Jesse Hogan is exactly what GWS needs. A lead-up centre half forward who will get 20 possessions 10 marks 1 goal. Suddenly, this team will be good at moving the ball from D50 to F50.

Unclear if we are getting 2018 Jesse Hogan or something else, but a straight swap for Zac Langdon is a smart move.

I haven’t rated Leon as a strategic coach for years, but his ability to get his players to improve their games and play with grit has always been a strength, so in that respect he is the perfect coach for Jesse Hogan.

Great move.

Agree. We haven't really ever had a good pack breaking forward. Patton was meant to be it but never really delivered.

If Hogan can get focused, he will change the way our fwd 50 operates. Greene, Hill and Daniels will all benefit from crumbing the broken packs and we know they can find the big sticks with half an opportunity.

Will be good for us I think and a definite silver lining after losing Jezza.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Agree. We haven't really ever had a good pack breaking forward. Patton was meant to be it but never really delivered.

If Hogan can get focused, he will change the way our fwd 50 operates. Greene, Hill and Daniels will all benefit from crumbing the broken packs and we know they can find the big sticks with half an opportunity.

No I don’t think he is a pack marking key forward. We did have one of those by the way - Rory Lobb

I think he is a facilitating lead up centre half forward. He will mark on the wing and wheel and send the ball inside 50, or handball to someone running past.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing him get super fit starting now and having a great pre season because you need that fitness to play that role

Callums_Guns

Community Leader
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

LordLucifer

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2002
Snooty Mosman !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm as the preceding posters.

Hogan has failed at two clubs and now comes to you as his 'last gasp'. If your coaching panel can get his head in the right place for longer periods then you stand a chance of seeing what he is really capable of. I am not expecting it to happen though.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm as the preceding posters.

Hogan has failed at two clubs and now comes to you as his 'last gasp'. If your coaching panel can get his head in the right place for longer periods then you stand a chance of seeing what he is really capable of. I am not expecting it to happen though.
Disagree he has failed at 2 clubs. Was a gun at Melbourne and basically had a cataclysm of events at Freo.
If we can get him right then we wont miss Jezzas out put(if not the man himself).

Simmofreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS

I worry that Leon is too soft for someone like Jesse.

Let's be honest he says he hated the spotlight, but that's only because when he was doing something he shouldn't be (like off his head at a festival) there was always someone with a camera on their phone.

If we get the 2017/18 Jesse then it will be the world's smartest trade. But me deep down concern is that he wants to be able to do what he wants without being noticed.

Hope I'm wrong though

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Jesse Hogan isn't spending much time looking in the rear-view mirror. He is still very much of the belief his best football is in front of him. There is a strong desire to be regarded as, in his own words, 'one of the best forwards in the league' and a feeling that he hasn't yet hit a ceiling that was deemed to be as high as any young player to enter the top flight over the last decade.

With 25 goals from 14 matches, Hogan is putting together his best season since his final year at the Demons. There are consistency issues in his game and continuity problems with his body, but there have been signs he can still match it with the best key forwards in the competition. "I still think the best is absolutely in front of me. I strive to be one of the best forwards in the game. I think I can get there," Hogan said. "I've had some good moments in games and some good games this year, but the consistency's probably still lacking a little bit. If I can link that together, I still think I haven't reached my ceiling, so it's really exciting for me."

Remove this Banner Ad