Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

For me that day occurred in 2006 when final list changes were lodged.

I mean I knew it was coming but seeing it there in print just made it so like real.

Delisted: .. Mark Powell

Blackest day in sport imo.
Bloody hell KC. That softy quit in January costing us a list spot. We could have recruited brownlow medalist Woewodin!

You won't get off the training wheels unless you brush up on your north knowledge!

What happened to this kid? I thought he could really play.

He made the mistake of watching Channel 7's hilarious Friday night pregame show and it had a similar effort to watching that tape in the film "The Ring".

7 days later he could barely recognise a football let alone find one.

Bloody hell KC. That softy quit in January costing us a list spot. We could have recruited brownlow medalist Woewodin!

You won't get off the training wheels unless you brush up on your north knowledge!

Mate I know that but it was only official at year's end.

In a sense I suffered the same fate twice because of this.

I really hope he gets a crack somewhere else.

I don't. Cold but true.

As much as I saw something in Kieran, should he go elsewhere and succeed it would prove the club's decision as wrong.

I'd rather the club's judgement is superior to mine in these matters.

I don't. Cold but true.

As much as I saw something in Kieran, should he go elsewhere and succeed it would prove the club's decision as wrong.

I'd rather the club's judgement is superior to mine in these matters.
Yeah you cold!

We all loved Keiran's ability, but lets face it, he's played how many AFL and VFL games the last 2-3 years? Injury-prone and down on confidence.
The club had to make a hard call, if they don't see him playing consistent AFL footy down the track, then it's the right call to move him on.
Fordham and Anderson will hopefully be good replacements.

I am not in the least surprised at this. For all of the nice things he did early in his career, he was never a big ball winner and he never seemed to do all that much at Werribee this year. Seems a real waste of talent, but maybe we have all over-rated him.

There is a simple message in this to all young players. If you have the talent, you still have to want a spot in the team so much that it hurts like hell every time you go out to play.

Well, we can't say he didn't try.
It wasn't a lack of effort, desire, or natural ability.
Lower leg injuries, and the mental hurdles that ensued were just too much for the bloke, and I don't begrudge him for being unable to conquer them in time to get on a contending team's senior list in 2016.

I hope he finds some inner peace and a place to play care-free footy as soon as possible.
I'll always think of Kieran when the "unfulfilled potential" debate arises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your service mate.

Those first two seasons were filled with good moments. Played some really good football, offensive flair and always offered plenty defensively, often out-doing some more seasoned performers in the tackling and pressure stakes.

The troublesome ankle surgeries affected 'the step'. The mental hurdles were always an issue from 2013 onwards, more than what was reported on here.

All the best for the future Kieran.

After watching this video package.........I feel ill that he hasn't made it.

Whatever the plans the club had in PSD I hope they go arse up and we we're left with an option to redraft him again. If he was fully fit and the head was in a good place there's no doubt we may have played in 2 GF's instead of 2 Prelims recently.
Gutted for us that we didnt get a chance to see what could have been a great career at Nth Melb.
Sad.

After watching this video package.........I feel ill that he hasn't made it.

Whatever the plans the club had in PSD I hope they go arse up and we we're left with an option to redraft him again. If he was fully fit and the head was in a good place there's no doubt we may have played in 2 GF's instead of 2 Prelims recently.
Gutted for us that we didnt get a chance to see what could have been a great career at Nth Melb.
Sad.
That's one hell of a long bow you're drawing there. Did you see our 2014 preliminary? Not sure that Harper's15 disposals would have been the difference, no matter how good a place his head was.

That's one hell of a long bow you're drawing there. Did you see our 2014 preliminary? Not sure that Harper's15 disposals would have been the difference, no matter how good a place his head was.
My bow is based on the entire seasons not just PF games themselves.....it peaches and pears mate. He was labelled Steve Johnson like before he started playing.......the lad knew where the goals were, there's no denying. His papers are stamped now and he is slotted into the box where Jesse W Smith sits now.... Labelled "Coodabeen's".

I get the feeling the club is uncomfortable about the medical treatment Harper received and the impact it had on his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back